Need to trap a rodent in the house! Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You are educating your prey by missing him. Place items around the trap site so he has to go over the trap. Basically only give him 1 path to and from the hole....a "channel of death" if you will. Keep in mind, they climb about anything. Create a complete tunnel if possible. Load that channel with multiple traps.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    3 inch hole?

Its not a mouse.

You'll be better served with a rat trap.

And the most upscale hotels in the world have rats.
    Nothing to be ashamed of.

Just need to address. Which you are doing.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The hole is around 3" in diameter. Scary, huh? I used to think only trashy people had rats in the house. We do live just a block away from a woods, on the edge of town. I've never seen anything other than a mouse in our house, but my husband said he did see the dogs chasing something toward the house not long ago, and I know there are some critters under the deck.

This is an understandable misconception. It is similar to the way that it was once considered gold standard that only trashy people who lived on the 'wrong' side of the railroad track through town ever had problems with crime, drunkenness, teenage children becoming pregnant, and so forth. It makes for a nice narrative for those who want to live in the fantasy that it can't happen to them, but eventually, they get an appointment with reality. Similarly, you have just had your introduction to the fact that rodents don't have any particular respect for hygiene or socioeconomic status.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had some buddies use Coca Cola to get rid of mice where kids and pets are present. You have to use the "Real Thing", put it in a shallow lid and make sure that it is refreshed frequently (kept fizzy). They say the mice drink up the stuff and get swollen up and either die or barely move and can easily be picked up and dispatched.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    I've had some buddies use Coca Cola to get rid of mice where kids and pets are present. You have to use the "Real Thing", put it in a shallow lid and make sure that it is refreshed frequently (kept fizzy). They say the mice drink up the stuff and get swollen up and either die or barely move and can easily be picked up and dispatched.

DO NOT add rum to the Coca Cola. The mice will invite their friends over for a party. :):

I've always had good luck with the old fashioned Victor traps, baited with peanut butter. I keep them up against a wall or the inside of a cabinet, depending on where I find evidence of their presence. Seems like I get a few mice in my kitchen every fall. They do not survive for long.

The only bad thing I can report after many years of this is forgetting to check in the cabinet ... until I noticed a really bad smell in the kitchen. The whole trap went into the trash can, along with the maggot infested mouse carcass.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Recently I had a family of mice move into my garage, I know this after the fact. I used PB and Victor Traps and they were able to get the PB without setting off the traps. I used a piece of string and smear PB on it and tied it to the trigger plate of the trap, next day had two mice in the trap and the PB and string was gone, so I knew there were more mice. The only trap I had left were glue traps, never had any luck with them, this time I put a glob of PB in the middle of the trap. Next day tiny baby mouse stuck in the glue trap. The thing was so small it would have never been caught in the snap trap.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    DO NOT add rum to the Coca Cola. The mice will invite their friends over for a party. :):
    That's the idea! Actually this is a very old tip that was published in Mother Earth News many years ago. When I suggested it to a buddy who had a small farm and rodents were getting to his grain, he thought I was crazy. He had small children, pets (no mousers) and goats. He was desperate, so he tried it. He was shocked to report back that the mice were swollen and dying and some were dead, after putting Coca Cola in a lid. It solved his problem. Some squeamish folks might not be able to cope with the results, as it is not a quick death for the rodents.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Interesting about the Coca Cola. I haven't heard or seen any evidence of the rodent since the trap went off the other morning. I doubt it is gone, though.

Top Bottom