Need to trap a rodent in the house! Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I once used a S&W 17-8 and some Aguila Colibri ammo. Worked great on the mouse that used to run across the living room with some regularity.
    I'm pretty impressed. Sign me up for your newsletter please.
    I pop the little devils in the basement with a Crossman pellet rifle. About 3 pumps and they don't even blink.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've always preferred snap traps. When I was a kid, I rigged a snap trap to a coffee can so I could catch the mouse alive and feed it to my boa constrictor.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've always used the snap traps but use mild cheddar shredded cheese rolled into a ball. Caught probably 20 mice in the garage that way last fall/winter.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If all else fails...

claymore+thumb1241068662.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I used to live in an old farmhouse and had plenty of me. I used the old wire snap traps with pieces of cheese smashed into the metal bait holder. I always put them in corners of rooms. Sometimes they would rob the trap if the cheese was still soft. I then started letting the trap sit out of reach for a couple of days before setting it. The cheese would dry out and they would have to tug on it. The other trick I learned was to set two traps side by side. That way if they worked on one they would end up stepping on the other. It actually became like a game to me. Luckily I was single at the time because I don't think too many women would see it the same way!!

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    • License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will not quit, ever. -Carl Speckler

I've always had great luck with the snap traps with cheese crammed up on the bait holder. We had some get in the house one time and start nesting. I ended up getting about 14 over 6-7 months.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We get a lot of field mice and voles. I've buttoned up the house well enough, but they still manage to get in the laundry room.
    Those Victor plastic snap traps work well mostly (and I don't have to worry about kids or pets getting hurt by them) with PB.
    I usually also put a dab deep inside and under the lid.

The PB usually baits them damn quick. After harvest each year, it's not unusual to get 3 or so each night, usually within an hour of putting in some fresh PB.
    They don't pay the laundry room much mind during the summer.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    If you can get at the hole then stuff it full of steel wool. The little buggers will chew on it & swallow pieces of it. They end up dying cause the metal won't digest through their system. Hopefully they will be on the outside of the bldg when they do try to chew.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Evil wrench is no dummy, but if a he barehanded a squirrel, he's darn manly. If squirrels weighed what mt lions do, we'd have to hunt them with howitzers.

Damn right.
    My dad knows a guy who thought it would be a good idea to grab one by the tail to pull it out of a hollowed out tree that was still standing.
    The BT retaliated by immediately amputating the end of his index finger.
    BTs don't get nearly the respect that they deserve.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Full disclosure, I did have leather gloves on. He was gnawing on me pretty enthusiastically once he stopped squealing like a little girl. Most of him's in the freezer now.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Large as in, how large? Doesn't take much for a mouse to get through. Rats, however will make a pretty big hole.

The hole is around 3" in diameter. Scary, huh? I used to think only trashy people had rats in the house. We do live just a block away from a woods, on the edge of town. I've never seen anything other than a mouse in our house, but my husband said he did see the dogs chasing something toward the house not long ago, and I know there are some critters under the deck.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I tried the peanut butter in a trap near the hole last night, trap went off early this AM, but no rodent. Grrr!!! Will try again tonight, haven't made it to Walmart yet for glue traps.

Top Bottom