• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its what I use when I glass bed rifle actions. Only difference here is I will be using those putty sticks. I didn't want something too runny, and I didn't want a 4 hour cure time, so my options were limited.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am sure their woodworking skills were way better than mine, even with lesser tools. They also got PAID to do it right, and had more time. I had planed on using the epoxy as a shortcut from the start. Way to complicated to cut a perfect half circle of the perfect size at the perfect angle, so it works w/ a cannon that may not even have perfect trunnions.

I have three guys who said they were coming, 4 would be ideal so I wont tell you no if you are able to help. More or less I will have two guys holding up the rear, and two holding up the front. Ill get the epoxy in place and hold the metal caps where they need to be as the cannon is lowered pushing the metal into the epoxy and holding it at the correct angle. Once the epoxy sets up enough I will pull the caps out to let it cure. Once its hard enough ill put the metal back in and we can put the cannon back on the carriage. probably a 20 minute job.

Even if I get 4 guys I wont turn anyone down as its always nice to meet other INGOers.

Edited to add: yes tomorrow Monday September 30th

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hey I can't make it but I can make suggestions... I know you're a pretty smart guy and can probably get it figured out but sometimes even the smartest guys overlook the easiest solutions... I know because I've been there...

That being said, no offense intended but have you thought of blocking the cannon barrel in place and raising the carriage up underneath it? You could get much better control that way... Possibly a floor-jack or 2 or 3 (depending on how critical the alignment and awkwardness of the carriage) would be enough...

Just a though inspired by your comments that the lowering of an engine hoist isn't precise enough. The raising of some floor jacks would be much more precise...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Well, no I had not thought of that. That would probably be a good way of doing it w/out manpower. The axle box is not square with the ground so it would have to be rigged up to not get tippy. I think I have the help I need now though to get it done quickly and properly the first time.

I do appreciate the comment as I had not thought of that despite all of my attempts to speak "outside" the box.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It think raising the base might be the best way.... Even if Hanz and Franz were helping that much weight is a lot to hold steady for that long.... At least give it a dry run before pouring the epoxy.

i helped move a large fish tank that weight and did not have to hold it up for long.... Could not imagine holding I steadily for 10 min.

pm me your cell and address, if I get off work early enough ill swing by.... Will know tomorrow afternoon.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It will not be terribly difficult. 10 minutes is probably longer than it will really have to be honestly. Just long enough for the epoxy to set up enough for the barrel to be removed and not have the metal caps shift.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It will not be terribly difficult. 10 minutes is probably longer than it will really have to be honestly. Just long enough for the epoxy to set up enough for the barrel to be removed and not have the metal caps shift.

Back in my composite days we would sometimes let the epoxy set just enough that we could still work with it.... This would often speed.up the process and limits the time you are having to hold something and shortens cure time.

id sometimes mix stuff so hot you would see steam/vapors.... Sometimes would be so hot that it would melt the plastic container.... It would cure in a hurry though.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Moosehead says he is coming down. He is going to borrow my stock wrench for his AR. Yellowhousejake is a maybe. anybody else who has posted in this thread plan on making it? A lot of maybes, but no commitments. Not going to lie I am a little worried now.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Moosehead says he is coming down. He is going to borrow my stock wrench for his AR. Yellowhousejake is a maybe. anybody else who has posted in this thread plan on making it? A lot of maybes, but no commitments. Not going to lie I am a little worried now.

I'll be there... I'm the one (maybe you have 2?) that needs to use the stock wrench.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like I am going to go long on the project we have going. Been waiting on parts and just did get them. WE have to take care of this customer. I will be getting done about dark. UPS sucks.

I am truly sorry.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No I think I just got confused.

These are the guys who said they can come for sure. Mooshead is coming form up north as well and wasn't sure about traffic. 4 to me would be ideal, 3 will get the job done. As I have said many times its not that difficult of a task, just akward.

Mooshead
    IndyHD
    Perry

Top Bottom