• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Note: I am extremely inexperienced with firearms (only fired an 870 Express a few times before), so bear with me. And if there is location-specific info I need to know, I live in South Bend.

I want to buy an assault rifle (to start a hobby in firearms, and also in case the SHTF), and I've settled on the AK platform due to its ruggedness and reliability. However, I don't know whether to choose an AK-47 or AK-74. I've lurked on these forums for some information, and I also went to a local gun store and handled an AK, but I'm still not sure. I know that the 74 has less recoil, and the ammo is cheaper, but despite that, "the AK-74 nut" that worked at that local gun store said to go with the 47.

I am willing to pay a fairly high price (such as the AKs at K-VAR), so long as it is a high-quality model. Is imported 5.45x39 ammo going to dry up soon? What about the prices of spare magazines, replacement parts, etc? And once I settle on one, should there be a particular brand I should look for (such as Arsenal)? Or, am I just getting ahead of my inexperienced self in wanting an assault rifle?

Thanks for all your help.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Hello and welcome!

If I were you I'd avoid the word "assault rifle" around here ;).

If I were you and looking for an AK, I'd check out a Russian AK-47 they seem to net the highest value and considered the "originals".

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Thanks. :)

If I were you I'd avoid the word "assault rifle" around here ;).

Because of the negative connotation surrounding "assault rifle"? What should I use instead? :D

If I were you and looking for an AK, I'd check out a Russian AK-47 they seem to net the highest value and considered the "originals".
    Why would you recommend that? I have gathered that Russian models are the best, but why would YOU choose the 47 over the 74?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Thanks. :)

Because of the negative connotation surrounding "assault rifle"? What should I use instead? :D

Why would you recommend that? I have gathered that Russian models are the best, but why would YOU choose the 47 over the 74?

I've recently picked up the 74. I've owned to 47s in the past and the 74 makes the Ak a real contender for use....to me. Ammo is available, surplus is pretty hot and CHEAP. Buy one to keep forever right now and stack up the ammo.
    If you don't care for it as much, give it to a child someday in the future with all the ammo.

Arsenal (Kvar) offers a variety of 74s a the best of quality.

Recoil: to be honest, I don't see a whole lot of difference in it. the 47s seem to have ACTUAL recoil; but, the 74s like to jump.

Or, get both!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yes, it's just a formality around here ;).

Also, the reason I personally would choose the 47 is for collection value, I'd really like to have a Russian AK-47 all-original to hold have around in my safe and shoot some rounds through now and again.

From what I know the 74 is simply a "refined version" of the 47, but my reasons are just that, just to collect.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I've recently picked up the 74. I've owned to 47s in the past and the 74 makes the Ak a real contender for use....to me. Ammo is available, surplus is pretty hot and CHEAP. Buy one to keep forever right now and stack up the ammo.
    How many rounds would you recommend to "stock up" with? Keep in mind that I plan to practice with it as often as I can so I can grow proficient with it.

Arsenal (Kvar) offers a variety of 74s a the best of quality.
    I've looked at those. Other than the colors and accessories (magazines, sling, etc), there aren't any differences between the three 74 models K-VAR offers, right? This is the page I've looked at: K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL31 Series – 5.45x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifleshttp://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=354

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    How many rounds would you recommend to "stock up" with? Keep in mind that I plan to practice with it as often as I can so I can grow proficient with it.

As much as you can afford, and then some more. You can never have to much ammo stocked up.

I have a WASR-10/63 that I love. Most people say they are the least quality AK, and I will have to somewhat agree. Mine is nice and reliable, but not as nice as others. If you a really nice one, most of the milled recivers are very good, but more expensive. Don't expect accuracy either, at least not from the 47's. The best I ever got out of mine was 3" groups at 50yds with a x4 power scope. I have heard that the 74's have a bit more accuracy. Either way, you really can't go wrong with an AK.

Last edited:

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I would say go with a milled ak-74 one of the polish 1960's, they look great and are ok from what i have heard. you can never go wrong with a Arsenal ak, but may i add that for a SHTF gun i my self would go with something in .223. So if you have to have a SHTF gun get a Arsenal ak in .223 and stack up on as much mill spec ammo as you can. I say this because the Arsenal ak's tend to be better made then most along with the fact that if you have to you could steal ammo from the army since they use .223 for there m4's.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I don't have experience with a wide range of AK rifles, but I like my Arsenal SGL21-66 in 7.62x39. I chose the AK for its history, simplicity, and ruggedness; the Arsenal for their reputation, and the caliber for the punch factor. The rifle is still more accurate than I am ...though I'm working on it.

FWIW, I'm researching my next AK (who can stop at just one???). The only thing I'm certain of at the moment is that it'll be a folding stock model of some sort in 7.62 ...and use a tennis racket bag as a case (though I don't have a body of a tennis player ....won't be fooling a lot of people :D).

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Im looking to get an ak myself and ive deceided on arsenal stamped 7.62. Main resoans. Price around 500-600bucks ammo is used buy many civs and militarys. Most common ak varent in the world so more replacement parts. finailly it leaves me money to custom it to my likeing. I have heard the US made barrels are better and mort acurate.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Got it, thanks. :D

So if you have to have a SHTF gun get a Arsenal ak in .223 and stack up on as much mill spec ammo as you can. I say this because the Arsenal ak's tend to be better made then most along with the fact that if you have to you could steal ammo from the army since they use .223 for there m4's.
    But what if the Army was the enemy in a SHTF situation? Shouldn't I avoid them? ;) Why isn't 5.45 made domestically, though?

Regarding indykid's comment, what makes ammunition corrosive?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Regarding indykid's comment, what makes ammunition corrosive?

Robbed from elsewhere on the net because I can be lazy:

Corrosive usually has salts in the primer or as an ingredient in the powder. Most mil-surp and older ammunition is corrosive but it's a good idea to think ALL mil-surp is corrosive. If not cleaned properly it can cause corrosion in the bore and could destory a barrel in a day. Regular solvent WILL NOT remove these salts, you have to use somthing water based or special solvents meant to remove this stuff. It's best to clean it as soon as you can after shooting when using corrosive ammo. Windex on wet patches works but I usually take really hot water and a turkey baster and blast hot watert down the bore a dozen or so times, run wet water patches and then a bunch of dry patches. More thoughough but I don't like to take a chance like that. Take apart the bolt and wash the parts with hot water. Do this before regular cleaning with solvent and be sure to dry the parts as much as possible off the bolt parts and oil when your done. It's also a good idea to check the gun after a couple days to look for rust spots in the barrel and on the bolt parts. Non-corrosive means it won't corrode your gun if you don't clean it right away. Chrome lined bores do have some resistance to the salts but it's still a good idea to clean with water.

And a better link:

Educational Zone #13 - Shooting & Cleaning Corrosive Ammo - Page 1

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If I were you I'd avoid the word "assault rifle" around here ;)

One big problem is that the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban" really added a lot of confusion to the mix. Suddenly, an assault weapon wasn't about being a rapid-fire, mass casualty weapon. Instead it had to do with how "scary" the weapon looked.

You can now very easily have a .22 assault rifle based on that law. Here is a straight-from-the-factory Ruger 10/22. Just add a flash suppressor because it looks cool and it becomes an assault weapon. Not the first thing you would think of, huh?

Ruger1022rpftf.jpg

The telescoping stock doesn't make it any deadlier. The pistol grip doesn't make it any deadlier. However, to some they are scary. Oh, and because it is black, it is even scarier. Because we all know that black is "bad". :rolleyes: These are all cosmetic features, not a reflection of how the gun works. The gun pictured above will function exactly like the basic wood-stock model below.

10-22.jpg

If they were actually aiming the law at public safety, why did they add restrictions on items that have nothing to do with how it functioned? The answer is that they were trying to add "common sense restrictions" to increasingly restrict gun ownership with each additional law passed. You will hear that phrase a lot in politics and usually it has nothing to do with common sense.

That is why the term is resented by so many in the gun community. It has become a political term rather than a description of a particularly deadly weapon. The definition is now so confused, people use it to describe guns that don't even violate the 1994 AWB. It is being used to scare people about guns and to restrict what we can own/use in a free country.

The standard AK74/47 that you can buy is no more deadly than any other small/medium caliber semiauto rifle. Go ahead and get one if you want and stock up on ammo. They have a reputation for being extremely tough and reliable, but they aren't very accurate target rifles.

Oh, and welcome to the board. You should go into the Intro section and tell us a little about yourself. :welcome:

Last edited:

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Robbed from elsewhere on the net because I can be lazy:

And a better link:

Educational Zone #13 - Shooting & Cleaning Corrosive Ammo - Page 1
    So since I'm new to firearms (and thus maintenance), I should probably avoid 5.45 until I'm more experienced. Thanks.

That is why the term is resented by so many in the gun community. It has become a political term rather than a description of a particularly deadly weapon. The definition is now so confused, people use it to describe guns that don't even violate the 1994 AWB. It is being used to scare people about guns and to restrict what we can own/use in a free country.
    I had always assumed rifles derived from military-grade ones were also "assault rifles," but now I know differently. Thanks for clearing that up.

And thanks for the welcome. :D

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Have you considered a Ruger Mini-14?

If "ruggedness and reliability" are important to you, you might consider the Ruger Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, 580-series. They are a cross-bread of sorts, and it's a fifty/fifty shot on whether most folks you talk to love them or hate them. Most of the haters have not shot a new one. The cool thing is they are reliable, and eat anything you feed them (Wolf, Bear...etc.)

Mini's shoot .223 (like the AR-15), but 3 MOA at 100 yards is about the best you can get out of the box (if you are lucky). The AK doesn't have the best reputation in terms of accuracy either, and depending on which brand (or country you buy from) you can expect to pay around the same price for either platform.

I would strongly suggest you avoid "low end" AK's priced in the three to four hundred range (for example, Polish AK's in this range are total junk..., used / worn out barrels, etc.).

A decently priced AK is about the same price as a Mini-14 (six to seven hundred) For that price you could easily go up a couple hundred and get a really good AR.

But what I find cool about the Mini and the AK is that they go "bang" every time you pull the trigger.

Just my two cents..., and good luck. Whatever you end up with I want to see pics!

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    If "ruggedness and reliability" are important to you, you might consider the Ruger Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, 580-series. They are a cross-bread of sorts, and it's a fifty/fifty shot on whether most folks you talk to love them or hate them. Most of the haters have not shot a new one. The cool thing is they are reliable, and eat anything you feed them (Wolf, Bear...etc.)

Mini's shoot .223 (like the AR-15), but 3 MOA at 100 yards is about the best you can get out of the box (if you are lucky). The AK doesn't have the best reputation in terms of accuracy either, and depending on which brand (or country you buy from) you can expect to pay around the same price for either platform.

I would strongly suggest you avoid "low end" AK's priced in the three to four hundred range (for example, Polish AK's in this range are total junk..., used / worn out barrels, etc.).

A decently priced AK is about the same price as a Mini-14 (six to seven hundred) For that price you could easily go up a couple hundred and get a really good AR.

But what I find cool about the Mini and the AK is that they go "bang" every time you pull the trigger.

Just my two cents..., and good luck. Whatever you end up with I want to see pics!
    Is the Mini able to take large-capacity (20-30 round) magazines? Because I know for certain that I don't want to be constantly reloading. Also, are versions of it sold new with a pistol grip? Considering how new I am to firearms, I would rather not modify them until I am more proficient in them (and I feel that I would handle a rifle better with a pistol grip). And aren't the sights similar to those of the AR/M16? I handled one at the gun shop, and I didn't like how they limited my view (at least compared to the AK).

Top Bottom