• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    If it's your first semi auto carbine, get the AK47 and buy 500 rounds of ammo
    Get the most inexpensive(a romanian new or used) and beat the hell out of it. Have some fun with it. After 500 rounds through it, you'll know if you like it or not and you haven't broke the bank.

Then if you dont like it you sell it to me cheap. :D

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    I would recommend a yugo. I have owned Romanian and the yugo. The yugo doesn't cost that much more and is a much better gun!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    How many rounds would you recommend to "stock up" with? Keep in mind that I plan to practice with it as often as I can so I can grow proficient with it.

I've looked at those. Other than the colors and accessories (magazines, sling, etc), there aren't any differences between the three 74 models K-VAR offers, right? This is the page I've looked at: K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL31 Series – 5.45x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-74 Variant Rifles

I need to redress my statement. I guess I should say Arsenal offers accessories to modify/make your Ak however you want it.... folding stock, Ar stock etc.

As for the ammo, as much as you can afford i guess. :dunno::): it's cheap so I don't have remorse for 'having fun' with mine!
    I've not had any real experience with mine though. There are some on this board who have taken classes with theirs, I'd ask around.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'll throw my vote on getting one in 223. In my experience, they tend to be a bit more accurate. The variety in ammo is also much, much greater than in the x39 calibers, not to mention you can find it just as cheap as 7.62. This almost guarantees you can find a load your rifle really likes and makes it possible to stock up without breaking the bank.
    My biggest complaint on the AK type rifles is the iron sights. All mine wear at least a red dot scope with a 3 moa or smaller dot, and that small step closed up my groups by half or better.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    SLR-95....best semi AK ever built and a 75rd drum for pure AK joy:D....:twocents:
    2dvpdtd.jpg

Last edited:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Nobody has said it yet, so I am going to...

Leave room in your budget to buy a .22lr rifle ($200 Ruger 10/22 highly recommended). Buy one and shoot the living heck out of it. Spend $100 on .22lr ammo (bulk packs) and you will have almost 4,000 rounds worth of learning. Think about how much experience that $300 will buy you in comparison to any AK or AR ammo. The .22lr is also good in a SHTF situation because you can carry large amounts of ammo, they are lightweight, and can be used for hunting small game.

When you are done with your .22lr rifle and AK, then buy yourself a .22lr pistol, a nice combat pistol, and a carry pistol. Personally, I would put the pistols first in line. You are much more likely to need to defend yourself on the street or against a home invader than end up in a SHTF situation, but that's your choice.

Then you will have everything you need... of course you will always WANT more.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    My biggest complaint on the AK type rifles is the iron sights. All mine wear at least a red dot scope with a 3 moa or smaller dot, and that small step closed up my groups by half or better.
    Why do you dislike them? I actually prefer them over the AR/M16 ones.

Leave room in your budget to buy a .22lr rifle ($200 Ruger 10/22 highly recommended). Buy one and shoot the living heck out of it. Spend $100 on .22lr ammo (bulk packs) and you will have almost 4,000 rounds worth of learning. Think about how much experience that $300 will buy you in comparison to any AK or AR ammo.
    So basically, get one because it would be cheaper to shoot than an AK? If I go the WASR route, I could definitely do that.

To anyone: is the WASR a good option to start out with? I've heard the horror stories, but I've gathered that I should only worry with the older models, as newer ones are the same as more costly AKs.

When you are done with your .22lr rifle and AK, then buy yourself a .22lr pistol, a nice combat pistol, and a carry pistol. Personally, I would put the pistols first in line. You are much more likely to need to defend yourself on the street or against a home invader than end up in a SHTF situation, but that's your choice.[/quotee]
    I would, but I'm only 19. Though I'll be 21 in May 2011. But yeah, I would like to eventually "round out" my future armory with (at least) a shotgun and a pistol.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Why do you dislike them? I actually prefer them over the AR/M16 ones.

So basically, get one because it would be cheaper to shoot than an AK? If I go the WASR route, I could definitely do that.

To anyone: is the WASR a good option to start out with? I've heard the horror stories, but I've gathered that I should only worry with the older models, as newer ones are the same as more costly AKs.
    did you get my PM?

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I did, but I can't reply until I've made at least 15 posts. :xmad: So yeah, your advice, along with others, has made me reconsider the WASR route (instead of just high-end AKs).

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I did, but I can't reply until I've made at least 15 posts. :xmad: So yeah, your advice, along with others, has made me reconsider the WASR route (instead of just high-end AKs).

wasr are junk, I dont buy tools at harbor freight and I dont own any wasr after looking at them closely.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Count, Don't know how venturous you are.. but for less than 500 bucks...

You can get a stock Saiga, G2 trigger group, Saw Grip, Tapco butstock, and a Dinzag bullet guide and have an extremely nice AK!

Doing the conversion yourself is an awesome way to "Learn" the weapon as well....

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I have heard of that method, but don't you have to be pretty handy with tools for that? Plus, I (and my dad) don't have a whole lot of tools, other than basic house maintenance-specific ones.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Exactly, and not just a little cheaper... a lot cheaper. $0.03 per round. I'm not saying you shouldn't get an AK or AR too, but everyone should have a .22lr rifle and pistol.

That's like saying buy a 89 geo metro because they are a lot cheaper to drive than a 2010 corvette.

I would rather watch paint dry.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    That's like saying buy a 89 geo metro because they are a lot cheaper to drive than a 2010 corvette.

I would rather watch paint dry.

To each their own... and I would be lying if I didn't admit I enjoy shooting the larger rounds more. However we are talking about a brand new shooter here, a .22lr is an excellent learning tool for both new and experienced shooters. I still wouldn't compare a .22lr to an '89 Geo Metro.

Plus, if you can afford BOTH a metro and a corvette... go ahead and buy both. My filthy rich father-in-law has a Honda Civic Hybrid and a Honda Accord in addition to his Lexus SC10 so he doesn't muck up his fun convertible and has a high MPG option.

I just think its a good investment... buy a .22lr and shoot one 550 round bulk pack through it and it has paid for itself.

Top Bottom