• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    So if I went with the .22LR (in addition to the AK), what version should I go with? I'm looking at Ruger's website, and there are Carbine, Target, Compact, Sporter, and Target Tactical versions. I think I can rule out all but the Carbine and Compact versions, as those are more basic/less costly.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    as far as 22lr goes you can't beat a 10/22 rifle....all kinds of fun things you can do with them......as far as 22 pistol go MKIII semi-auto or a single-six wheel gun....those are my choice...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sounds like you are considering a number of options, for both the AK and .22 platforms. I'd recommend asking for someone to go to the range with you and let you try theirs. You supply the ammo and there will likely be someone in your area willing to help you out.

I'll backup the .22 suggestion for cheap practice and fun. Revance is right about the difference in price with .22s at ~3 cents and .223/7.62x39 at 20-25 cents per round.

The 10/22 is extremely common and infinitely variable. You can get a basic carbine model and upgrade it over a lifetime as your finances and desire allow. There are other good models like the Remington 597 that is actually cheaper, but if you buy one of those carbines, you won't be able to do much else with them. The 10/22 is even a good option if you really want to increase your marksmanship via Appleseed training.

On the .22 pistol side, Ruger MkIII series is very competitive, but there are a lot more good alternatives than the rifle side. You can read a lot of discussions on this board about the pistol options.

For you original SHTF plans, the .22 is good for small animal hunting, but obviously the larger calibers are better for self defense scenarios.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Why do you dislike them? I actually prefer them over the AR/M16 ones.

The Ak's sights were never intended to be used with any degree of precision, more to simply get the rifle pointed in the general area and then lay down a volume of fire. IMHO those sights are a big reason that the AK has a reputation for being inaccurate. They're great for quick, up close shooting but are actually slower to get on target at longer ranges due to their coarseness and short radius.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    If you can find one, and afford it, I say go with a VEPR from Robinson Armament. They are built on RPK receivers, and are able to take even more abuse than a standard AK. On top of that the stiffer receiver actually makes them a bit more accurate. You can get them in just about any caliber you want, too.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the help so far, everyone. :)

I went to my local Dick's sporting goods store the other day, and found a Ruger 10/22 (with a stainless steel barrell) selling for $250. Is that a fair price, or should I keep looking for a better deal? It's certainly cheaper that what Ruger's website offers, for sure.

As for an AK, my local Dunham's has a WASR 10 (double stack) on sale for $380, which comes with a clip (ad doesn't say how many rounds, but I would guess 5). However, I've been checking out classicarms.us, and they have a "ROMANIAN AK- MV" that includes two 30 round magazines, cleaning kit/oil bottle, sling, magazine pouch, bayonet/sheath (don't really care about that, but I guess it would be nice) and manual for only $10 more, $390. Is Classic Arms a good company to order from (i.e. are their products of a decent/high quality)? It almost sounds too good to be true, but LPMan59 sent me a PM a few days ago and said they were great (and I think he ordered the same thing I'm looking at).

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    If you are just looking for a cheap AK(which does not mean bad) check out atlanticfirearms.com. They always have AK deals going on. As for the 10/22, I haven't purchased one in years, but when I did it was much less than that. I would shop around a little just to see what the current market has them at.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    If you do decide on a .22 I would also go with a ruger 10/22. I bought the basic carbine. Over time I have changed out the stock, added a 20 inch bull barrel, bi-pod, and scope and turned it into this
    100_0625.jpg

You can change it from having AR parts to looking like a M1 Carbine.

M1 Carbine Ruger 10/22 Tribute - An M1 Carbine Replica Stock for the Ruger 10/22 with Sling, Oiler, and Military Style Sights

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you are just looking for a cheap AK(which does not mean bad) check out atlanticfirearms.com. They always have AK deals going on. As for the 10/22, I haven't purchased one in years, but when I did it was much less than that. I would shop around a little just to see what the current market has them at.

Just be very careful of the Lancaster AKs that Atlantic often carries. Go to ar15.com (ak subsection) and AK-files to see the recent problems. I *believe* the issue only extends to the 5.45 AKs from a recent Lancaster build (truck guns) but I would still advise caution.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    As for an AK, my local Dunham's has a WASR 10 (double stack) on sale for $380, which comes with a clip (ad doesn't say how many rounds, but I would guess 5). However, I've been checking out classicarms.us, and they have a "ROMANIAN AK- MV" that includes two 30 round magazines, cleaning kit/oil bottle, sling, magazine pouch, bayonet/sheath (don't really care about that, but I guess it would be nice) and manual for only $10 more, $390. Is Classic Arms a good company to order from (i.e. are their products of a decent/high quality)? It almost sounds too good to be true, but LPMan59 sent me a PM a few days ago and said they were great (and I think he ordered the same thing I'm looking at).

i will keep you posted. my order is in the mail; should be able to pick it up on wednesday :D

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Just be very careful of the Lancaster AKs that Atlantic often carries. Go to ar15.com (ak subsection) and AK-files to see the recent problems. I *believe* the issue only extends to the 5.45 AKs from a recent Lancaster build (truck guns) but I would still advise caution.
    I had heard about Lancaster, and at first everything sounded amazing. But it seems that it has gone downhill (not just in quality, but in customer service too), so I'll stay away just to be safe.

That would be sweet, LPMan59.:rockwoot:Thanks.

grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    Thanks for all the help so far, everyone. :)

I went to my local Dick's sporting goods store the other day, and found a Ruger 10/22 (with a stainless steel barrell) selling for $250. Is that a fair price, or should I keep looking for a better deal? It's certainly cheaper that what Ruger's website offers, for sure.

I have bought four wasr 10 and a wasr 2 from dunhams no trouble with any of them . Like they say some of them have problems but if you check them out first you should be ok . Look for canted front sight,check for excessive mag wobble, make sure mag locks in. If you buy at dunhams at least you can handle them and pick the best one. All mine came with 2 30 round mags oil can & cleaning kit and sling. I have a yugo & pre ban chinese in 223 cal. But when I go to the safe the wasr is the one that comes out. You will love shooting an ak and if anything should go wrong or break you can find parts at any number of places on the net.

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I went ahead and bought the "all-weather" version of the Ruger 10/22 at my local Dick's for $250. Once I find a place to shoot (it doesn't seem like there are any ranges in the immediate area around South Bend), I'll get some ammo and cleaning stuff and grow into it. And after a while (and after I save up some more money), I'll get an AK. :D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Nice choice. It will give you a good start and last a lifetime.

This thread is a sticky and an excellent source to find shooting ranges: here.

Also, YouTube is your friend for videos on how to disassemble/reassemble the 10/22, cleaning, accessorizing, and many other tasks.

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    The Bulgarian SLR is the top of the line for both 47 and 74. If you wanted either I'd pick up a 47 because of the availability of a common round if the S does HTF.

If you're willing to spend a lot of money I'd just go with an AR and be done with it. The are platform is vastly superior to ANY AK out there.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The AR platform is vastly superior to ANY AK out there.

i think thats debatable. in terms of accuracy and tacticool accessories, then yes. but the rugged reliability of the AK is unparalleled. and in a SHTF situation, i might not have a can of Breakfree in my pocket. but i love my LE6920 above all. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom