• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Except that's not the definition of "accident".

I am all for making that differentiation, but to be accurate, an accident is unintended, unexpected and sudden. Negligent is unintended as well. Negligent (generally) fits under the umbrella of "accident", definitionally.

If we want to say: negligent discharge vs. mechanical failure leading to unintended discharge, fine, that would be accurate. Perhaps "accidental discharge" shouldn't be used at all as it is imprecise.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Except that's not the definition of "accident".

I was referring (with admittedly poor wording) to the OSHA definition of "accident", which is "as an unplanned event that results in personal injury or property damage."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Have I told you about my 870 at Shootrite?

And thus, you make my point: the mechanical failure of the trigger on the 870 was a pretty big black eye for Remington, and was reported as a screw up by the manufacturer, not as operator error by operatorationally operating operators.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    To all you safety experts, let the rest of us know when you create the perfect world, with the freedoms we now still have!

BTW, this goes for all aspects of life, not just the shooting sports.

WOW, NASCAR with no bent fenders.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To all you safety experts, let the rest of us know when you create the perfect world, with the freedoms we now still have!

BTW, this goes for all aspects of life, not just the shooting sports...

I want to make sure i have this straight:

1) We have an inalienable right to negligent discharges.

2) Why emphasize safety because negligent discharges are inevitable.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So pray tell explain how you handle a firearm at the Indy 500?

You don't - just enjoy the race. :):

If you're asking about gun shows - I don't handle my carry weapon. It's not for show and tell, it stays in its holster. This deputy should have had the same rule.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

BTW, this goes for all aspects of life, not just the shooting sports...

Perfect world is already here. We have never ever had so many safe, well trained, gun handlers.
    We only have to teach a very small percentage of those stubborn folk "too smart" to learn standard accepted safety rules.
    Darwin is on our side as long as we can keep them pointing their muzzles at themselves instead of us. ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was referring (with admittedly poor wording) to the OSHA definition of "accident", which is "as an unplanned event that results in personal injury or property damage."

I've no idea why OSHA matters, but I'm sure you know the difference between a noun and an adverb.

In the end, I suspect the semantics argument will prevent zero accident shootings, negligent or otherwise. Training yourself and others to visually and physically check the mag well/cylinder and chamber before pulling the trigger will. Proper holsters and holstering will. Etc.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Perfect world is already here. We have never ever had so many safe, well trained, gun handlers.
    We only have to teach a very small percentage of those stubborn folk "too smart" to learn standard accepted safety rules.
    Darwin is on our side as long as we can keep them pointing their muzzles at themselves instead of us. ;)

You really have a lot to learn!

Beliving in a perfect world is a total act of folly.

Or do you believe you are truly a God?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You really have a lot to learn!
    Or do you believe you are truly a God?

I'm always learning. That's different from some, eh? ;)

Not quite god-like yet, but working on it. I know where my gun gets pointed though and I'm happy to educate you how to handle yours safely. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm interested by the people who have never had a negligent discharge, especially by those who believe it can't happen to them.

I've had them. More than once in the past during pistol matches, my trigger finger found its way onto the trigger before I was genuinely ready to fire. All of those rounds hit a backstop and in most cases they hit the the target, but the trigger press was not by my conscious effort. I consider those negligent discharges and I've taken great pains to train myself to avoid them.

I've seen many, many negligent discharges on the range. Just because the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction doesn't mean it didn't happen.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm interested by the people who have never had a negligent discharge, especially by those who believe it can't happen to them.

That's a curious class of people, to be sure - primarily because of the specious belief that it *can't* happen to them. There's a difference between belief that something can't happen, and the belief that something can happen, but is entirely preventable through constant vigilance.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm interested by the people who have never had a negligent discharge, especially by those who believe it can't happen to them...

I've never had one.

If I make a mistake, I may.

It is not inevitable that I will.

The more I follow the rules, the less chance I will.

To my knowledge, no one here has claimed they are immune, only that it won't happen unless they make a mistake.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I've had them. More than once in the past during pistol matches, my trigger finger found its way onto the trigger before I was genuinely ready to fire. All of those rounds hit a backstop and in most cases they hit the the target, but the trigger press was not by my conscious effort. I consider those negligent discharges and I've taken great pains to train myself to avoid them.

I've seen many, many negligent discharges on the range. Just because the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I think there needs to be different terminology. In my mind, your "negligence" of touching off a round early that stops in the berm is not the same as one sent over the berm on a reload or into the ground by our feet. There is a vast difference between your finger on the trigger when it can be and when it specifically shouldn't be.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think there needs to be different terminology. In my mind, your "negligence" of touching off a round early that stops in the berm is not the same as one sent over the berm on a reload or into the ground by our feet. There is a vast difference between your finger on the trigger when it can be and when it specifically shouldn't be.

Sure, there is a huge difference . . . in the end results. The actual event is unintentional and a result of negligence in both cases in my opinion.

Top Bottom