• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are two types of gun owners (among several actually). Those that have had negligent discharges and those who haven't yet...

3 types.: those who never will. I do not believe that every gun owner has had a ND in their life or before they die. I don't buy it and I've never seen any evidence to support it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Are there any more details about how this actually happened?

I was just talking over the weekend with a police officer I know. I was reminded of an incident that was truly an accident - gun in holster, trigger got caught on a zipper-dangle thing in that had managed to get inside the trigger guard, boom. I mean, hard to call that negligent; there was no coonfingering involved.

FTA:
    The deputy, who is assigned to the courthouse security detail, was showing another county employee the off-duty handgun he was carrying, when it fired, Nielsen said.

Obviously, it was a poorly behaved gun, to just fire like that, all by itself.

Obviously, Barney Fife violated either two (for the Four Rules set) or one (for the Three Rules set) safe firearms-handling rules.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I was on shift when this happened. This officer is a heck of a good officer and it's an unfortunate incident. However he shouldn't be condoned as this could happen to any one of us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    OOops. Read the article on my phone over the weekend (the version that was posted at the time) and missed that.

Ok, so yeah... coonfingering bad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's not always easy to get a prosecutor's attention.

Hmmm, yet again, you might have a point. Just shoot into the ceiling to emphasize my debating points.

"Stop violating my client's civil rights *points pistol at ceiling*--BLAM, BLAM, BLAM."

I think you might be onto something. Wasn't it Ms. Pat that was on Bob & Tom saying that her mother used to do the same thing. So, there's precedent.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of course, when someone intentionally disregards their training and best practices . . .

Disregarding best practices is:

A. training failure.
    B. common when you have a beard.
    C. acceptable because one is so highly trained that best practices are for babies not for me.

Glad no one was hurt. However, if you don't wear UPS brown or city or state blue then you better learn from this.

Don't play gun show. I am beating this horse because it impacts us all.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So you've never removed your gun from its holster to show someone?

Is it unsafe to do so?

Aren't there other threads to debate the finer points of safe firearm-handling rules and practices?

But in answer to your question: yes. But to do so, I:

1. Engaged the safety
    2. Removed from holster, maintaining muzzle and trigger discipline
    3. Dropped the magazine
    4. Cleared the chamber
    5. Handed the firearm to the other person, still maintaining muzzle and trigger discipline

My brother-in-law then proceeded to check the chamber himself before manipulating the gun - all while continuing to maintain muzzle and trigger discipline.

These practices reflected and followed the Four Rules.

Amazingly enough, no ceilings or walls were injured in the process.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Are there any more details about how this actually happened?

I was just talking over the weekend with a police officer I know. I was reminded of an incident that was truly an accident - gun in holster, trigger got caught on a zipper-dangle thing in that had managed to get inside the trigger guard, boom. I mean, hard to call that negligent; there was no coonfingering involved.

Something similar happened to a shooter right next to me during a training class a few years ago. Went to re-holster, and part of his jacket got into the trigger and as he pushed it into the holster it went bang. Put a nice 9mm hole in and our of his pants about 1/2 from his right thigh. We both got peppered by the rocks kicked up by the bullet impacting the ground.

The individual that had the AD was pretty shaken up and probably had to change their pants, if for no other reason than the hole in them. The instructors handled it Extremely well though and made sure the individual was not actually hit, then used it as a teaching moment for the rest of us.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    However he shouldn't be condoned as this could happen to any one of us.

You're right, any one of us could make poor/negligent decisions. Most of us probably do on a day to day or week to week basis, but when it pertains to something that can end one's life, then more care is needed and fingers and triggers need to be kept in check.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    You're right, any one of us could make poor/negligent decisions. Most of us probably do on a day to day or week to week basis, but when it pertains to something that can end one's life, then more care is needed and fingers and triggers need to be kept in check.
    I agree, yes he should be held to higher standards because of his surroundings and his profession. I agree with better time and place for this incident. I'm just saying that if something like this was to happen to any of us I hope this thread pops in the back of your brain and you say to yourself... Well I guess I'm the idiot today. I was always taught the rules of firearm safety as with anyone here I'm sure of it. I wouldn't feel any safer than a room full of you guys at a gun range. But why criticize the guy? Why can't we just talk about the error on hand. We as responsible gun owners are such as a close knit family, when one guy dicks up we all put him on the line and point out cannons his direction. Just remember this could happen to us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We have cannons? Are those for site supporters only? Or is this another 50-quality-posts qualification thing?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But why criticize the guy? Why can't we just talk about the error on hand. We as responsible gun owners are such as a close knit family, when one guy dicks up we all put him on the line and point out cannons his direction. Just remember this could happen to us.

Darn right it could happen to us. That is why proper discipline in following the Four Rules is so important and why we use every incident such as this to reinforce the notion that guns are snakes and can bite. Let's not play with guns, let's just leave them alone, in a holster for example.

Too many people do not realize that guns can go boom without fingers on triggers.

Century Arms Faces $5 Million Class-Action Lawsuit - The Firearm Blog

Have I told you guys about the 870 at Shootrite?

Top Bottom