Nashville Police Chief Removed by Town Council, Her Supporters Are “Ashamed” and “Outraged”

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I live 53 miles from work. I know the town would like me closer too. 68 miles for a police chief? I can see the councils point on that. They have real concerns. Wether they were real or not, or just perceived, I don't know. Probably could have been handled better though.
    I bet this was an issue at hiring, but they ignored it. Now it’s a big deal.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The issues they outlined seem pretty reasonable. They also seem pretty fixable by the now former chief. Well, the residency might be troublesome on that salary.

I really don’t understand how small towns do it these days. Local government’s biggest expense is usually police. Given that nobody wants to do the job, I can’t imagine people are knocking down their door for jobs that pay $20-$24 an hour.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The issues they outlined seem pretty reasonable. They also seem pretty fixable by the now former chief. Well, the residency might be troublesome on that salary.

I really don’t understand how small towns do it these days. Local government’s biggest expense is usually police. Given that nobody wants to do the job, I can’t imagine people are knocking down their door for jobs that pay $20-$24 an hour.

I'm sure there are waves and trends to happen in law enforcement and their admistration also?

That could well be the case with this once maybe ambitious young cheif?

She was used to getting her way, over proper requirements for the job, from the beginning. Thus the job was always secondary to her own wishes? There are only so many "got away withs" before...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Given that nobody wants to do the job, I can’t imagine people are knocking down their door for jobs that pay $20-$24 an hour.

Add to that the current Bidenomics, especially the housing market.

How long will folks have to go before they understand that high morgage and rent effect more than just their own wallet? All of our public servants have to be able to afford life costs also.

It's cool to pay people more, if somehow you are not on the hook for the paying?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Nope. They cut her a break and she screwed them. Not conditional issue, integrity issue.
    It was conditional. They allowed her to stay in new palestine until her child was out of school with the expectation that she move closer to nashville once the child was out of school. That is a conditional exception.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It was conditional. They allowed her to stay in new palestine until her child was out of school with the expectation that she move closer to nashville once the child was out of school. That is a conditional exception.
    The condition had been met though, i thought, so its not longer conditional. Maybe I read it wrong, but her spawn was out of school.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

Add to that the current Bidenomics, especially the housing market.

How long will folks have to go before they understand that high morgage and rent effect more than just their own wallet? All of our public servants have to be able to afford life costs also.

It's cool to pay people more, if somehow you are not on the hook for the paying?
    This is an active town marshal position posted to the ILEA website:
    1725032064457.png

For a lot of these towns, reserve officers are primary source of patrol labor. At some point, this won't make sense anymore.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    View attachment 376828

For a lot of these towns, reserve officers are primary source of patrol labor. At some point, this won't make sense anymore.
    $15.38 per hour. The only person you’re going to get at that pay is a retired officer who is willing to help the town.

Reserves are fine, but a lot of them are just doing it to work part-time security jobs. The other issue is training varies widely for reserves. Bigger departments train them well, and smaller ones give them the state mandated 40 hours, a few months of FTO, and throw them to it. I think the LETB will eventually change that. I also think companies hiring off-duty police will eventually specify they only want ILEA certified officers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    View attachment 376828

Wow, that sounds terribly low. That said, four years ago the cost of life in general was much more economical for us all.

Are there other financial perks, like the drive home patrol car and fuel? Federal funded overtime?

It's been years since I was in the restaurant business, but our officer discount varied from 50-100%.

Vapor Trail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Brown Co.
    The link in KLB’s post pretty much explains it all. I found the paragraph about scheduling a bit confusing, but it sounds like the town asked her to schedule officers to work specific time periods, and she did just the opposite.

Two sides to a story but if the town’s letter is reasonably accurate … not surprised.
    Yep..I lived here for years and know that there's much more to the story than the public is aware of...

Top Bottom