• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I hope so. As long as he has a sponsor on board. Seems that is a requirement lately.
    Thats the difficult part. When Lowes leaves a 7 time champion, and Mars leaves Kyle Busch, I dont think sponsorships are a for sure thing.

Kyle even said, the sport isnt about drivers skill anymore. Now its about who can bring a sponsor… they get the ride.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Kyle even said, the sport isnt about drivers skill anymore. Now its about who can bring a sponsor… they get the ride.

GttA.gif

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Read an article a few minutes ago at work. Discussing the finances that go into a nascar team, and some of the reasons that were shared with him for SHR closing its doors.

Just some figures that were shared.

To run a competitive car in the cup series, it is roughly $25 to $30 million a season. SHR has 4 cup cars, so anywhere between $100 million to $120 million for a full season.

Sponsorships account for 60 to 80% of a Nascar teams operating revenue. Lets say 75% to make it an easy number to do mathematically, so not the highest percentage sponsors pay but not the lowest. And lets say $25 million a year to have a competitive car in the cup series, so the lowest price given… 75% of $25 million is $18.75 million to sponsor 1 cup car for the season. With the sport losing viewership and recording record low ratings, and empty seats in the stands, its easy to see why sponsorships do not want to spend $20 million on sponsoring a car.

And as per the article, most teams still lose money. Nascar will be getting $1.1 billion a year from the new TV deal. Nascar teams receive 25% of that. 36 races in a year, not counting the non points, practices, qualifying, tests, etc… its easy to see why teams are leaving left and right.

“In all partnerships, if you grow the pie, that means your business is going to continue to grow. And to grow the pie, youve got to make sure everybodys healthy within the partnership. If our ownership in Nascar is losing money, and Nascars the only one making money, thats not a good partnership.” -Michael Jordan.

There are rumors swirling that Jordan has been discussing the possibility of leaving as well. When teams like Joe Gibbs and Hendrick are having difficulty keeping sponsors, smaller teams are in a lot more difficult position.

When Lowes will leave a 7 time champion that is in victory lane multiple times a year, and on every piece of Nascar memorabilia, m&m’s leaves a 2 time champion that was in the top 5 almost every week… thats a bad sign. What kind of image does that give to smaller businesses that may have sponsored a team? If giant corporations do not see the value, I doubt smaller companies with less budgets will be willing to invest in it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Read an article a few minutes ago at work. Discussing the finances that go into a nascar team, and some of the reasons that were shared with him for SHR closing its doors.

Just some figures that were shared.

To run a competitive car in the cup series, it is roughly $25 to $30 million a season. SHR has 4 cup cars, so anywhere between $100 million to $120 million for a full season.

Sponsorships account for 60 to 80% of a Nascar teams operating revenue. Lets say 75% to make it an easy number to do mathematically, so not the highest percentage sponsors pay but not the lowest. And lets say $25 million a year to have a competitive car in the cup series, so the lowest price given… 75% of $25 million is $18.75 million to sponsor 1 cup car for the season. With the sport losing viewership and recording record low ratings, and empty seats in the stands, its easy to see why sponsorships do not want to spend $20 million on sponsoring a car.

And as per the article, most teams still lose money. Nascar will be getting $1.1 billion a year from the new TV deal. Nascar teams receive 25% of that. 36 races in a year, not counting the non points, practices, qualifying, tests, etc… its easy to see why teams are leaving left and right.

“In all partnerships, if you grow the pie, that means your business is going to continue to grow. And to grow the pie, youve got to make sure everybodys healthy within the partnership. If our ownership in Nascar is losing money, and Nascars the only one making money, thats not a good partnership.” -Michael Jordan.

There are rumors swirling that Jordan has been discussing the possibility of leaving as well. When teams like Joe Gibbs and Hendrick are having difficulty keeping sponsors, smaller teams are in a lot more difficult position.

When Lowes will leave a 7 time champion that is in victory lane multiple times a year, and on every piece of Nascar memorabilia, m&m’s leaves a 2 time champion that was in the top 5 almost every week… thats a bad sign. What kind of image does that give to smaller businesses that may have sponsored a team? If giant corporations do not see the value, I doubt smaller companies with less budgets will be willing to invest in it.
    Congrats on receiving your laughing emoji.
    :rockwoot:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Superbikes costs a lot less than Nascar. I dont see him sticking around too many more years. If he is already being vocal about the finances and business model, hes already in that mindset.
    I hear he's going to buy one of SHRs charters. Don't know why you'd do that if thinking about getting out of Nascar.

Look, I get it. Was a huge Nascar fan growing up. Not so much now. I wasn't a driver loyal fan, but more brand loyal, although I've had my favorite driver thru the years. I lost a lot of intrest when they went to the playoff system. Lost even more interest after the whole "noose incident" Definitely been a steep decline in attendance and viewership.

I will still give Nascar credit however for still saying a prayer, singing of the National Anthem, and the support to our military.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I hear he's going to buy one of SHRs charters. Don't know why you'd do that if thinking about getting out of Nascar.

Look, I get it. Was a huge Nascar fan growing up. Not so much now. I wasn't a driver loyal fan, but more brand loyal, although I've had my favorite driver thru the years. I lost a lot of intrest when they went to the playoff system. Lost even more interest after the whole "noose incident" Definitely been a steep decline in attendance and viewership.

I will still give Nascar credit however for still saying a prayer, singing of the National Anthem, and the support to our military.
    I have no hate for Nascar. I would like to see it more like it used to be for sure. Change is not always better. Racing people used to run Nascar now marketing and bean counters run it. MNGA

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Still saying a prayer and the national anthem is what gives me hope. I really want them to fix the issues so we can have the sport we all love back, but until they start listening to the fans, drivers, and team owners I dont think thats going to happen. Nascar had a major opportunity during 2020 to capitalize on appealing to Americans that just wanted to escape reality by watching sports. They could have continued being the sport that stood for middle class Americans. Instead, well, the noose gate, BLM car, and making sure they let everyone know they are gun control supporters turned a lot of people away that just wanted a sport that stayed out of issues and just competed.

As for MJ buying the SHR charter, I have heard 23XI and Front Row are each looking to purchase one. Since Denny Hamlin is half owner, even if MJ were to leave Denny could still keep the team going. Of course, Jordan talking about leaving is just the rumor going around based on comments he has made about the current business model and the teams losing money each year, while the sanctioning body makes money. I dont think MJ will leave in the next year or 2… I do believe if nothing changes and he continues to lose money after 4 or 5 more seasons he will be selling his share.

I think if Nascar ups the percentage of the tv budget the teams receive, and ratings increase enough to become appealing to sponsors and teams are no longer struggling to sponsor cars, team owners will be comfortable enough to stay through a few tough seasons. If they struggle to get sponsors and arent making money, they cant pay the money to compete with top teams like Hendrick and Gibbs.

Racing used to be about inginuity, engineering, and having balls. Now its mainly money.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have no hate for Nascar. I would like to see it more like it used to be for sure. Change is not always better. Racing people used to run Nascar now marketing and bean counters run it. MNGA
    I hate hearing people say this, but im gonna say it (lol). I do wonder sometimes what the sport would be like had Dale not died. Being a team owner himself with DEI, and having the pull he had with some of the Nascar big wigs, I wonder if he would have been able to prevent some of the changes that have been made.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Gateway this weekend. I wish tire compound choices would be an option like they were at the all star race. It was nice seeing teams have some strategy and planning going on.

Sonoma is coming up after this weekends race. Thats one I always look forward to. I am glad they are running more road races, although a lot of people dont like them.

Brickyard in late July :rolleyes: Wish they would put some lights around the speedway and run it at night or run at IRP instead. Indy is not a stock car track.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Night race, love that idea. I will reach out to Roger this afternoon about getting lights up.
    I see you have become victim of the laughing emoji trolling as well. Embrace it, now even if you discuss the race results you will get a laugh reaction.

Positive side is your account shows you get a lot of positive reactions… so it actually helps :) I do notice tho, when the admins post here they do not get trolled with the reactions. Wonder why ;)

Anyways. I think a night race at the brickyard would draw a lot of attendance. I have been to quite a few and it is always late July/early August… way too hot. I was there the year they had tire issues and threw competition cautions every 20 laps. That was a nightmare, probably the hottest race I have ever attended. Miserable.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    A few years ago there was talk about putting lights around the track. It was a big discussion for a bit, then nothing ever came of it. I could only imagine how expensive that would be around a track that size, but it would make the brickyard an entirely different race atmosphere

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Amen!

I remember hearing they were drying the track, and nothing else was heard about it until the race was called.

I heard about Indys plan as soon as I woke up and throughout the delay.

Racing forum im on exploded after it was called. Like the article says, the people attending the race were pissed. Someone needs to let everyone know whats going on, and at least set a time so people know the plan.

Top Bottom