• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That is a question I routinely ask when dealing with pediatrics. I follow that with what does the child know about gun safety and what do the parents teach about gun safety. Nothing more, nothing less....

How often do you get angry responses such as those in this thread? Have you ever been cut off before you could explain the rationale for your question or the follow up? Have you considered turning it from a question to a statement? (OK.. It's none of my business whether you do or don't, so I'm not asking whether or not your child is around firearms. If you want it, I have some information I could give you about safety around them, though. Personally, I think it'd be good for everyone, kid or adult, to at least know how to be safe around them.)

Just my thoughts; worth what you paid for them.

Blessings,
    Bill

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    That is a question I routinely ask when dealing with pediatrics. I follow that with what does the child know about gun safety and what do the parents teach about gun safety. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people may stick their own personal agenda into that but patient education is a big part of my job and if there is a deficiency in an area of safety such as that, I will be more than happy to pass along NRA safety pamphlets, let them know free locks can be had at the local PD and recommend teaching gun safety to their children as early as possible.

Edit: I have never placed this information in the patient's chart and if it were, it would not be available to the insurance companies without a court order.

Hmmm that sound vaguely familiar doesn't it tin foil crew??? Naysayers :rolleyes:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Hmmm that sound vaguely familiar doesn't it tin foil crew??? Naysayers :rolleyes:

Wasn't one of the items in the "stimulus bill" a program to create "centralized" medical records overseen by the federal government? If that memory is accurate, then "not in the chart" is good but "only available by court order" is a tad naive.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    That is a question I routinely ask when dealing with pediatrics. I follow that with what does the child know about gun safety and what do the parents teach about gun safety. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people may stick their own personal agenda into that but patient education is a big part of my job and if there is a deficiency in an area of safety such as that, I will be more than happy to pass along NRA safety pamphlets, let them know free locks can be had at the local PD and recommend teaching gun safety to their children as early as possible.
    Your intent is probably fine. That being said, if you're dealing with me, you're out of bounds unless you're dealing with a GSW. I'm sure you would not be impressed when I cut the conversation short, and went elsewhere.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was asked the same question about firearms at my sons first doctor visit. I was a bit irritated with the question but I just said NO and moved on. Its none of their business but I understand what they are saying as far as making sure to remind you to lock them up because children are investigative.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I have had some irritated parents however I explain the rationale for safety concerns, and it is not something that is placed in the medical record unless there's a major issue for concern i.e. the peds patient is a gsw, abuse hx, etc. Typically if the parent is irritated by the question I simply state if there are firearms in the home, they need to be stored safely and gun safety must be taught. Very young children can figure out how to operate a firearm. I'll provide written state-provided gun safety instruction and that's that.

I haven't had any issue with a parent storming off, but I also don't typically see children for "well child" visits and by leaving the parent may be liable for negligence by removing the child AMA from treatment. This action would cause more concern than a parent saying "I'd rather not discuss that." (this response to me usually prompts handing out a gun safety pamphlet)

My job is to promote health and one part of that is to teach safety. If there is an identified risk I am not going to just ignore it. It will be addressed. I have had a few parents that were put off by the question, usually after some gun talk they'll realize I don't have an anti gun stance and be a little more open to discussion. If not, I'll still give the gun safety pamphlet (pretty much the same thing as what comes in the box when you buy a gun) and we'll go on our merry ways.

If I felt this was a 'gun grabber' move, I wouldn't participate. I do it in the interest of safety for your children.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have had some irritated parents however I explain the rationale for safety concerns, and it is not something that is placed in the medical record unless there's a major issue for concern i.e. the peds patient is a gsw, abuse hx, etc. Typically if the parent is irritated by the question I simply state if there are firearms in the home, they need to be stored safely and gun safety must be taught. Very young children can figure out how to operate a firearm. I'll provide written state-provided gun safety instruction and that's that.

I haven't had any issue with a parent storming off, but I also don't typically see children for "well child" visits and by leaving the parent may be liable for negligence by removing the child AMA from treatment. This action would cause more concern than a parent saying "I'd rather not discuss that." (this response to me usually prompts handing out a gun safety pamphlet)

My job is to promote health and one part of that is to teach safety. If there is an identified risk I am not going to just ignore it. It will be addressed. I have had a few parents that were put off by the question, usually after some gun talk they'll realize I don't have an anti gun stance and be a little more open to discussion. If not, I'll still give the gun safety pamphlet (pretty much the same thing as what comes in the box when you buy a gun) and we'll go on our merry ways.

If I felt this was a 'gun grabber' move, I wouldn't participate. I do it in the interest of safety for your children.

If the parents brought their child to you in a vehicle, would you teach vehicle safety? (vehicles kill more kids than guns) If I brought my child to you and after seeing the form that asked intrusive, non-relevant (child isn't there for a gunshot wound) questions and I decided to leave, and go to a different provider, you'd play he11 making an AMA charge stick, besides , at that point you wouldn't have given any medical advice anyway. If someone comes to your office on a motorcycle, and not wearing a helmet, do you counsel them? If you're at the range, and a child sneezes, do you run right over and begin to diagnose, and prescribe meds for whatever ailment? Of course not..... my point....... in your medical office, practice medicine. That does not include yelling fire before there actually is one. Preventive medicine is great, but not when a medical professional begins to insert themselves into a situation that they haven't been invited into. You want to hand out fire safety pamplets, fine, gun safety pamplets, fine, motor vehicle safety, fine, BUT..... Evidence of a firearm-related injury or illness, should draw your concern. Absent that, keep yer nose, and yer safety lectures out of my non-medically relevant personal life.

All due respects of course.

Last edited:

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Break it down, You went to Doctor school, right?
    The Fire Dept knows Fire Safety. Right?
    I don't know whats in the citys water, do you?
    I have been in the Military and Consider myself arms savy, when I bought weapons I was provided with free trigger locks, given some safety tips, they asked if I had kids in the home and properly advised. I store ammo out of reach.
    Just some of the things I thought of while reading these posts.
    Ok Doc what are your qualifications on weapon safety?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm glad so many people here assume everybody who owns a gun is a safe, responsible owner. I think too many people assume their children can't understand a gun and that their child and their guns are completely separate issues that will never cross paths. If your child is not safe in your vehicle, i hope the police give you a ticket for it. I hope you child gets fire safety in school and makes sure you have enough smoke detectors and extinguishers. Firearm safety is rarely discussed. A doctor mentioning it and putting the idea in your head is absolutely a good thing. The doctor doesn't care about you or your guns, he/she cares about your child's health. The doctor above said he doesn't even write it down, he just tries to make sure you are responsible.

Don't most of you encourage getting more people into gun ownership? Making sure they are involved safely is part of being a gun owner. If you saw someone at the range being dangerous, most of you intervene. Some of you would be very vocal and even aggressive or offensive. Some gun owners don't go to the range to learn responsibility. If they get a pamphlet at the doctor and become safer, I think its right.

Unless the doctor is reporting all gun owners to the ATF so they can be rounded up and shot later. That seems more likely than a doctor concerned about health.:dunno:

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Wasn't one of the items in the "stimulus bill" a program to create "centralized" medical records overseen by the federal government? If that memory is accurate, then "not in the chart" is good but "only available by court order" is a tad naive.

I was thinking the same thing. Additionally, as we move closer to centralized health care, the information collected by the government will be of greater concern than if I can choose my own doctor.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I just took my six year old daughter to the doctor this week. I was sitting with her in the exam room wearing a Black Hill Ammunition jacket and she was looking at the issue of "Small Arms Review" that I had brought with me when the doctor came in the room. Somehow the guns in the house question never came up.:dunno:

Top Bottom