• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrowntki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    This is the reason I refuse to take the kids to the pediatrician. The questions asked are over the line in regards to personal privacy. I sometimes feel inclined to ask them questions regarding their grades or exam results while they were in school. They certainly do believe that they are brighter than anyone else.

Dennis

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is the reason I refuse to take the kids to the pediatrician. The questions asked are over the line in regards to personal privacy. I sometimes feel inclined to ask them questions regarding their grades or exam results while they were in school. They certainly do believe that they are brighter than anyone else.

Dennis

Do you know what they call the guy who finished with the lowest class rank in med-school?

Doctor :D

Just giving you a hard time. Welcome to INGO.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Your doctor's incompetency is more likely to kill your kid than a gun in the home. Proven statistical fact.

EDIT: How do you like that? I misspelled "incompetency"... the ironing is delicious.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife just got home (Physical Therapist at a Chiropractor's office), and I asked her about this.

She just laughed when I asked her about it being sent to the .gov folks, you know the "that's the most rediculous thing I've heard."

In her experience, the forms are made up by the individual offices for thier use in building patient history, and that they don't have to submit them to any kind of government agency. Granted, my wife doesn't actually handle any paperwork filing, just sees patients, but I tend to believe her.

She did think that some offices might use the information to help in treating/diagnosing certain ailments, and in the case of pediatricians, could be helpful in any suspected child or spouse abuse cases.

As with any form like this, it is only as accurate as you fill it out. If you are worried about it, just don't fill it in or answer the question.

josterman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If there practice is assiocated to American Academy-Pediatrics they would have to use a standard forms there are 13 for the ages 2 weeks to 13 years old. I am not a lawyer (just a programmer) if you would of answer yes to any questions and they are using it as a Medical Information then your answer will fall under the HIPAA regulations and the doctors can not give it out to anyone without your consent.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    actually use it to help gather statistics for legitimate medical studies.

That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. They obviously use it to stockpile information about us so they can use it against us in the great rebellion to come. Or whatever.

I think the smoke detector one might be trying to make your home safer in the event of a fire. And the pre-1970 home question could have something to do with lead paint and asbestos. Perhaps some new-parent gun owners haven't considered that junior could reach the gun even though it's in a drawer or on a shelf or carefully leaned in a corner. Could be the doctor is supposed to point this out to an absent minded parent.

But NAH, that's just crazy. It's obviously a conspiracy.

man, i hope sarcasm still works on the internet...

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I do agree this is none of their business.

However, do you think this would have anything to do with lead causing birth defects?

If nothing else, those questions made you think about safety issues in your own house. You've got to admit, there are some clueless parents out there.:scratch:

Don't you think that owners of firearms are more likely to have exposed lead in the house? Not all gun owners are as conscientious as the people on this forum. I'm sure some people come back from the range and throw their clothes on the floor. Kids play on the floor. Voila! Lead exposure.

If a child arrives in the doctor's office with signs of lead poisoning, the doctor would be more likely to recognize it if that was in the patient's chart.

I respect everyone's choice to not answer the question, but at least it makes you think and reminds you of the importance of responsible storage or firearms and ammunition in the home. Especially with children around.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. They obviously use it to stockpile information about us so they can use it against us in the great rebellion to come. Or whatever.

I think the smoke detector one might be trying to make your home safer in the event of a fire. And the pre-1970 home question could have something to do with lead paint and asbestos. Perhaps some new-parent gun owners haven't considered that junior could reach the gun even though it's in a drawer or on a shelf or carefully leaned in a corner. Could be the doctor is supposed to point this out to an absent minded parent.

But NAH, that's just crazy. It's obviously a conspiracy.

man, i hope sarcasm still works on the internet...

I'm glad you mentioned sarcasm in the last line...I was all fired up until then. ;)

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I had this come up recently with my daughters Dr. and my daughter is 14.

They asked the question "do you have any guns in the house" I answered "will discuss in person"

Dr.: Do you have any guns in the home?
    Me: Yes I do.
    Dr,: How many?
    Me: Enough
    Dr.: Are they in a safe
    Me: they are safe
    Dr.: Are you saying they are in a safe?
    Me: as I said, They are safe.
    Dr.: how is that? with a confused look on her face
    Me: Ok lets cut to the chase here. Yes I have guns in my home. No they are not locked up, but they are safe. It all comes down to training of her (my daughter) she has been to the range with me many times and knows how to handle a gun safely and fire them as well. I have brought her up with guns in the house since she was little and she has not shot anyone yet has she.
    Dr.: has she had Chickem Pox?

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    The question is being generated by The American Academy of Pediatrics, the official academic society for pediatricians (M.D.'s). They have taken the official position of banning handguns in homes where children are present, all in the name of "child safety". It's purely political, and you can read many of their publications at AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS WEB SITE.
    But that's where that question and questionaire is coming from. Your pediatrician may or may not even be aware of it, could just be using the standard form provided by "their" accrediting organization. I'd ask!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    More of the governments data base gathering. The more they know about you, the more they can use against you.

If you do not believe the government has access to this information, God help you.

With the coming of "electronic health records' it is just more info out there that the government and LAWYERS can use against you.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    reminds me of..

this reminds me of home insurance asking if we had a dog and if we had firearms, i remember talking to lawyer friend over this and to not answer yes could not be means for insurance claim to be denied, but a reason for insurance to raise premiums..

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If you go to the health dept (as opposed to a private practice) they don't ask you the gun question. They do ask other questions about your home and family though which I just ignored because they were definitely N/A.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    All due respect,
    It would take a pretty good doc to spot an irresponsible gun owner, just because they have firearms. I can't see the medical relevancy.... and if statistics are brought up, there are several more dangerous things to children that probably aren't on that list.Children are 53% MORE likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than by a firearm.(per the CDC) . Did the doctor's questionaire ask if there was a motor vehicle in the family?

Just askin' :dunno:

I like how you quoted just 1/2 of a sentence out of the entire explanation of as best as I can figure, nice. So here is my answer to your clear attempt at false logic..... If you council every gun owner you education 100% of the irresponsible ones too, (sometimes they are ignorant, and don't know they are being irresponsible) Just do a YouTube search for gun oops.

Just Say'n :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Those questions are answered "none of your business."

Got into it with a family doc about this once, one who thought she had the right to know my business, and had the right to tell me what she thought about guns. She got her butt reamed, I got a new doctor LOL.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    All due respect,
    It would take a pretty good doc to spot an irresponsible gun owner, just because they have firearms. I can't see the medical relevancy.... and if statistics are brought up, there are several more dangerous things to children that probably aren't on that list.Children are 53% MORE likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than by a firearm.(per the CDC) . Did the doctor's questionaire ask if there was a motor vehicle in the family?

Just askin' :dunno:

Actually, the Dr is somewhat more dangerous to your child.

Top Bottom