• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Today my 3 month old son had his first round of shots ( how horrible! ). My wife was asked to fill out paperwork that asked lots of different questions, most of the routine such as :

1.) What type of water do you have, well or city?
    2.) Is your water flourinated?
    3.) Do you have smoke detectors
    4.) DO YOU HAVE FIREARMS IN THE HOME?

My wife checked yes about the firearms; after I read that I had her change it to "no". Does anyone know why they would need to know this information? This is an invasion of privacy if you ask me! Sounds like some covert CPS operation.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I can understand #'s 1 & 2 as valid questions but questions like 3 & 4 are NONE of there business period .

I'm not a parent so I don't have a "dog in this fight" , but I wish more people would think before blindly answering and giving more info than is needed .

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'd be shopping for a new physician. Firearms are none of the physicians business... again.....just my opinion.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I can understand #'s 1 & 2 as valid questions but questions like 3 & 4 are NONE of there business period .

I'm not a parent so I don't have a "dog in this fight" , but I wish more people would think before blindly answering and giving more info than is needed .

There were also strange questions such as "was your house built before 1970, do you have radon detectors etc". I personally don't trust anyone, especially some government questionnaire, call me crazy..

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    This has come up on the forums here and there before (example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cussion/33498-note_from_the_pediatrician.html). In fact, if you search there are some interesting facts regarding doctors vs. gunowners in some of the threads

I'd have personally not answered it at all, and probably would have written off to the side something to the effect of 'not relevant for my childs health care'. There are things that are relevant, such as when was the house built (radon, asbestos, lead paint, etc) but not the presence of firearms. I have no problem with them handing out a firearms safety brochure or something with education on proper storage of guns/ammunition, but not questioning if I own them, since it's my right and is really none of their business. I mean...do they ask if I own a car? Can't that be just as dangerous to a child?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    You could say NO and move on. Many doctor offices ask the same thing. Tell them NO and do not talk about it again.

We did say no, as I stated in the OP, albeit I was simply bringing the facts to the forum, this story is different than other stories I've searched on the forum. Wanted to make fellow INGO'ers aware.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    One of the medical professionals responsibilities is to do patient education... including but not limited to medical conditions, risk factors, medications, allergies, prevention, diet, exercise, pets, educational resources, I can see (only to play devil's advocate) that counseling to irresponsible gun owners on proper storage for the child's protection along with hearing and eye protection being on the agenda of the questionnaire. They have no more business in us being gun owners than us being crack heads, accept it could affect the child's health.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    And they would have known you meant "yes"

True, but I didn't say I wouldn't answer it in order to conceal the fact that I own guns. With aproximately 40% of Americans owning guns (either themselves, or someone in their household), of COURSE they could safely assume I was one of them from my note to them. However, they could also extrapolate that I'm not trying to hide it and that I don't care if they know or not, but that I am letting them know that I take offense to them asking because it's not relevant.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    More of the governments data base gathering. The more they know about you, the more they can use against you.

If you do not believe the government has access to this information, God help you.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I filled out the same form when I took my son to the doctor. I answered YES in all capitals. It also asked where I had them stored. I answered in a gun safe. I was waiting for the doctor to bring it up but she scanned the form and didn't say anything about it. I also had the questions about my house, do I drink (only when I'm shooting and driving),etc.

We can kid ourselves about no national gun registration, but if you don't think every time they do a background check for a gun purchase that that info isn't stored somewhere, I think we're all naive

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I put down N/A on my kids. Be assured tho that you pediatrician will bring it up at check ups in the future.
    As an aside, might I suggest that you have your pediatrician spread out you kids vaccinations? Don't let them give the tyke massive doses. We did this with ours and avoided lots of side effects. Better extra visits than sick kiddos. I am a firm believer in childhood vaccinations, (having grown up in a time where some diseases were common). I'm not a believer in the vaccines cause autism schtick, either. Too much good science has said they don't. But kids and adults don't need massive amounts of vaccine given all at one time.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GET USED TO IT.

Under Obamacare, you will HAVE to answer. And you will HAVE to prove your are being truthful. I"m sure penalties of everything worthwhile will apply if you are found to be less than truthful or forthcoming.

But illegals won't have to speak/listen/answer anything regarding anything and they will have their own set of rules .. .with smiles and puppy dog farts.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

[...] I wish more people would think before blindly answering and giving more info than is needed .
    ^^ this.

Personally, I'd have left the whole thing blank or written across the whole thing, "I decline."

If the doc refuses to see us without it, I guess he doesn't want my family as patients. If none of the docs in the insurance plan will see us without the questionnaire, well, there are other options.

Doctors Practice Form For Patients

FIREARMS SAFETY COUNSELING REPRESENTATION:
    PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATIONS AND LIABILITY
    Part One: Qualifications
    I affirm that I am certified to offer (Name of Patient: ), herineafter referred to as "the Patient", qualified advice about firearms safety in the home, having received:
    Specify Course(s) of Study: ____________________________________________________________
    Specify Institution(s) ____________________________________________________________
    on:
    Specify Course Completion Date(s): ______________________________________________________
    resulting in:
    Specify Accreditation(s), Certification(s), License(s) etc.: _______________________________________
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    Check one, as appropriate:
    ___ I represent that I have reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of private firearms ownership. I further represent that I have reviewed all other relevant home safety issues with the Patient, including those relating to electricity, drains, disposals, compactors, garage doors, driveway safety, pool safety, pool fence codes and special locks for pool gates, auto safety, gas, broken glass, stored cleaning chemicals, buckets, toilets, sharp objects, garden tools, home tools, power tools, lawnmowers, lawn chemicals, scissors, needles, forks, knives, etc. I also acknowledge, by receiving this document, I have been made aware that, in his inaugural address before the American Medical Association on June 20, 2001, new president Richard Corlin, MD, admitted "What we don't know about violence and guns is literally killing us...researchers do not have the data to tell how kids get guns, if trigger locks work, what the warning signs of violence in schools and at the workplace are and other critical questions due to lack of research funding." (UPI). In spite of this admission, I represent that I have sufficient data and expertise to provide expert and clinically sound advice to patients regarding firearms in the home.
    OR
    ___ I am knowingly engaging in Home/Firearms Safety Counseling without certification, license or formal training in Risk Management, and; I have not reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of private firearms ownership.
    Part Two: Liability
    I have determined, from a review of my medical malpractice insurance, that if I engage in an activity for which I am not certified, such as Firearms Safety Counseling, the carrier (check one, as appropriate):
    ___ will
    ___ will not
    cover lawsuits resulting from neglect, lack of qualification, etc.
    Insurance Carrier name, address and policy number insuring me for firearms safety expertise:
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    I further warrant that, should the Patient follow my firearm safety counseling and remove from the home and/or disable firearms with trigger locks or other mechanisms, and if the patient or a family member, friend or visitor is subsequently injured or killed as a result of said removal or disabling, that my malpractice insurance and/or personal assets will cover all actual and punitive damages resulting from a lawsuit initiated by the patient, the patient's legal reprerentative, or the patient's survivors.
    Signature of attesting physician and date: ___________________________________________________
    Name of attesting physician (please print):__________________________________________________
    Signature of patient and date: ____________________________________________________________
    Name of patient (please print):____________________________________________________________
    Note to patient: Indicate if physician "REFUSED TO SIGN." Ask physician to place copy in chart/medical record.
    Risk Management Advice to Physicians and Malpractice Insurance Providers: Don't Borrow Trouble
    © 2000 by Joe Horn crowtalk@theriver.com ...

Found this online. I think it is in the public domain now, but just in case, leave Mr. Horn's info at the bottom. IANAL

Blessings,
    Bill​

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    that counseling to irresponsible gun owners
    All due respect,
    It would take a pretty good doc to spot an irresponsible gun owner, just because they have firearms. I can't see the medical relevancy.... and if statistics are brought up, there are several more dangerous things to children that probably aren't on that list.Children are 53% MORE likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than by a firearm.(per the CDC) . Did the doctor's questionaire ask if there was a motor vehicle in the family?

Just askin' :dunno:

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My mother and mother-in-law are nurses at a Drs. offices, so I'll ask them. My wife is also a Physical Therapist, and they require patient information forms as well.

I have a bit more mundane explanation...in that they may actually use it to help gather statistics for legitimate medical studies. The data used for certain studies has to come from somewhere, and statisticians are always looking for more information to refine their models.

Who knows, maybe the doctor at that office is pro-gun, and wants to show that children that grow up in homes that have guns are no more likely to have health problems or injuries than those without. That seems to support the listing that was posted a few threads up.

While I agree that it seems to be a bit out of context related to the other items, I wouldn't immediately assume it is for nefarious purposes. Remember, the actual information is CONFIDENTIAL in terms of your identity.

Top Bottom