• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    My wife has a new Bersa 380 Thunder and I have a new Glock 35 that I just got the 9 mm conversion for two days ago. Needless to say we've been itching to get out to the range and poke some holes in paper.

I wanted to get some more ammo first so I sent to the Walmart a few blocks away and found out they don't have ammo. Oh well. So next I go to the closest gun store near 38th and Lafayette just to find that they wanted (you might want to sit down for this) $35+ for a 50-count box of 380. Screw that!! I finally went back to where I purchased my latest pistols in Plainfield and paid a realistic price for target rounds. Next stop is home to get the firearms and then to Eagle Creek pistol range.

We got to the range and surprisingly it wasn't packed as I expected. We signed in, put our ear protection on and went to get a shooting station. Only one of the buildings was being used and there were 5-6 open stations with new targets. We got placed between to guys with 45's which is normally OK with me but my wife is still a bit shy so she wasn't too happy.

The one thing I did notice is that the stations were rather cramped together for not having some kind of partition between the shooters. As I'm getting my guns out of the cases and other preparations, a hot 45 cal piece of brass went right down my shirt. @#$%^@^ As the person to my left kept shooting I was being pelted with every single piece of brass that was ejected. If I wasn't hit directly then my pistols were getting hit. My wife was even dodging hot brass. The other shooters on each side of us were so close that we flinched from the concussion of every shot too.

At this point I asked if we could move to one of the other stations and was refused. The result was we left without every firing a single shot. Tomorrow I will be looking for another place to shoot and don't really care how far I have to drive. I shoot because I enjoy the sport and being that crowded takes all the enjoyment away.

Now I'm off to the Oktoberfest........ have a great evening everyone :)

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I can sympathize with everything that went wrong before you got to the range, but that's about it. Getting hit by spent casings is something that comes with going to a range. If you can avoid it, cool, but if not then you have to just deal with it or not shoot. So that's not really a valid complaint in my book (just my opinion) unless someone is intentionally trying to cover you with brass. Now you did say that there were other open stations. They should have let you move if there was a spot where you wouldn't be getting hit. At least you didn't feel the need to tell the guy next to you to stop shooting or somehow shoot how you wanted him to.

Like I said, I don't feel that its a valid complaint getting hit by brass, but I do think you did the right thing. You weren't enjoying the time you were having and they wouldn't let you move to another station so instead of taking the low road you chose to leave and look for another place to shoot.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You won't find an outdoor range in Indiana, that I know of, where you won't occasionally get his with brass.

When you say they "refused", care to be more specific? I find it hard to believe that Guy, or any of his staff, when being told that your wife was a new shooter and a little skittish, wouldn't bend over backwards to try and accommodate you..

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If she is a new shooter and a little skittish I am going to recommend Indy Trading Post on the south side of town. Not that far of a drive but is usually busy on the weekends. It is an indoor range with 5 stalls and partitions. That may make her feel more comfortable.

As far as ECPR is concerned and flying brass; that is just part of it. I have been next to the hand cannons and I understand what you are saying, but it's just part of it. Stepping back and firing when they reload is an option, but not a cure all. Proper clothing helps prevent the brass burn but won't prevent the flying cases from hitting you. There is ample room between shooting barrels IMO because it is roughly 6 feet from barrel to barrel. A lot of semi autos throw brass further. I constantly have to walk 12-15 feet to pick up 45 cases. The left lane sounds like it's where you want to be but may not be able to if it's already in use. Another option is to request left lane when checking in even if there is going to be a wait.

I'd like to think you were accommodated as much as possible within there resources but I was not there. The 2nd bay only gets opened when staffed and business dictates as well. It keeps more ROs on the 1st bay side to make it safer for you and your wife that way.

Another option is Atterbury which is further, but also only 1 or 2 ROs that keep an eye on everybody. Take that into consideration.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Two suggestions. Take up reloading and never go shooting at a public range Fri thru Sun. They really should have some kind of brass screen between positions. Sorry to hear about your bad day.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    never happens at the one in my backyard , ok .... happened to my wife one time ...... :D

Pics or it didn't happen... :D

Heck, I even get hit with brass when there is just 3 of us shooting at lovemywoods private range. It's just part of the experience..

There was a thread on this very topic a couple weeks ago, but my Search_Fu is weak, and I can't find it..

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I never said getting hit with brass was unacceptable. However, being so cramped that every piece hits with authority is. I am by no means a newbee at public ranges or private ones OR with firearms. I did not complain to the shooters or about them....they we very courteous and doing nothing wrong. As far as me not trying hard enough to be allowed to move....BS, the person making the call ruined the mood for me, my wife, and two other shooters. The shooter to my left acknowledged that the two of us could not shoot in the same session.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The owner of the business that manages the range posts here, and so do a couple of the range officers. Hopefully the come along and offer to work this out with you.

I've only been to ECPR twice and had a decent time. Sorry to hear you were disappointed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I hope someone doesn't spill his beer on you at Oktoberfest. You seem to have bad mojo today.

Seriously though, this is why lots of folks wear broad brimmed floppy hats and hooded sweatshirts at the range. :): Hot brass from other shooters is why.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Join Marion County Fish and Game. It sounds like you are in my area as you went to Ron's (code name) for a real screwing on ammo and the Wally on laff. rd. does not sell ammo for obvious reasons. Well, obvious to me anyway. Get on the web site for MCFG. follow the directions and join up. We are members and it is a very nice place to go. I prefer it over Eagle creek. The creek is not a bad place we just like MCFG.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, sorry to hear about your situation. I worked out there today and did hear of the situation from the other ROs. But, we never heard anything about skittish people though? From what it seemed, you wanted to move because brass was going into your bag. You wanted to move to another spot that was already occupied by people that were out for safety orientation, or so I was told, not refused flatly, some reasoning behind it.

Now, that being said, we are more than accomodating, please tell us your exact intentions and what you need and we will help out. I do apologize the spots you requested were already earmarked for people who were out for orientation. If your beloved is skittish around firearms, we can try to accomodate her and set up something, however, we are a public range and have to take all considerations into account. I can't honestly kick someone out of their spot for having a .45 or an autoloader, but we were not made aware that you wanted to move due to the percussion of their weapons. If I recall, the guy shooting the .45 even offered to stop shooting, but was declined the opportunity as you had left.

I apologize for your experience, but please bear in mind that we have to adjust for everyone, BUT will try our best to accomodate you. We just have to know what you want. As a personal suggestion: Come out Sunday morning. Everyone is off at church until about 11 or 12, lots of open lanes and generally pretty quiet for an hour before people start filtering in. :) Also, speak up, talk with us! We can't adjust or fix something unless we get more than a question, we need to know what's on your mind, what you need. :)

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Sounds similar to a time I was shooting at a very busy range in the southern part of the state. Some guy and his wife were waiting for some time before they asked if they could share the bench with me. I obliged but regretted that decision once I realized that they disagreed with the percussion of my instruments and the collateral brass that flew in there direction. They had the audacity to ask me to leave even though I was there first.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    This is the reason we are members of a local FOP with a shooting range. Almost no one uses the range those who do try to keep it nice and it only costs 30.00 a year to be a member plus you get a discount on the building rental for events. Ours has a decent little pond to fish in as well. There are also plenty of conservation clubs around that bave reasonable membership fees with perks other than private shooting ranges. I REFUSE to go to a place that has a so called RSO with far less experience than I do, who feels the need to finger the firearms of shooters because he doesnt have his own at home and that also allows just any D-bag to come there and shoot.
    Also it shcks to get hit by hot brass but it happens and I cant imagine a piece of 45 ACP casuing any damage to your firearms by just hitting them. I mean our 45 ACP brass is big and all bjt it shouldnt hurt your finish. Even though I like to keep my firearms in top working order they are tools that will get dinged and scratched one way or another.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, sorry to hear about your situation. I worked out there today and did hear of the situation from the other ROs. But, we never heard anything about skittish people though? From what it seemed, you wanted to move because brass was going into your bag. You wanted to move to another spot that was already occupied by people that were out for safety orientation, or so I was told, not refused flatly, some reasoning behind it.

Now, that being said, we are more than accomodating, please tell us your exact intentions and what you need and we will help out. I do apologize the spots you requested were already earmarked for people who were out for orientation. If your beloved is skittish around firearms, we can try to accomodate her and set up something, however, we are a public range and have to take all considerations into account. I can't honestly kick someone out of their spot for having a .45 or an autoloader, but we were not made aware that you wanted to move due to the percussion of their weapons. If I recall, the guy shooting the .45 even offered to stop shooting, but was declined the opportunity as you had left.

I apologize for your experience, but please bear in mind that we have to adjust for everyone, BUT will try our best to accomodate you. We just have to know what you want. As a personal suggestion: Come out Sunday morning. Everyone is off at church until about 11 or 12, lots of open lanes and generally pretty quiet for an hour before people start filtering in. :) Also, speak up, talk with us! We can't adjust or fix something unless we get more than a question, we need to know what's on your mind, what you need. :)

Well, there you go. Sounds like they will be obliging after all.

bartb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    ECPR is one of my Favorite places to go shooting. I find it hard that Guy and his staff wouldn't have been accommodating given the chance. And it does appear that they were accommodating.

I've taken friends who were "skittish" out shooting. I tell them to wear a T-Shirt and shoes that cover their toes. I have even stood on the left side of a friend and got pelted with tons of .40 casings so my friend could concentrate on shooting.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Thats not as bad as getting a bench next to a guy that was shooting a 50bmg. He was kind enough to let me know when he was about to shoot and even let me shoot his 50. Shooting a light weight 50 off a bench is fun ;)

Top Bottom