• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    OP, my recommendation is go back to ECPR and have fun. If the guns bother your wife, let the RSOs know. This is not due to what Disposable Heart said, but due to personal experience. I went and took a rifle to get sighted in, let them know what I was doing and that I needed help as it was my first rifle. They moved me away from everyone, came over and checked to see how I was doing and helped with everything I needed help with. I had an issue with a SIG and my scope. They gave me pointers on the scope, and checked out the SIG. It was an easy enough fix on the SIG and I got rid of a crappy scope. I didn't get a chance to meet all of the RSOs, but the 3 that I did meet were willing to bend over backwards for everyone that had an issue there. Go, have fun, let problems be known, and have even more fun.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Sounds similar to a time I was shooting at a very busy range in the southern part of the state. Some guy and his wife were waiting for some time before they asked if they could share the bench with me. I obliged but regretted that decision once I realized that they disagreed with the percussion of my instruments and the collateral brass that flew in there direction. They had the audacity to ask me to leave even though I was there first.

I guess I don't see any similarities in that scenario at all. In fact, I don't have a clue why you even posted it.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    ECPR is one of my Favorite places to go shooting. I find it hard that Guy and his staff wouldn't have been accommodating given the chance. And it does appear that they were accommodating.

I've taken friends who were "skittish" out shooting. I tell them to wear a T-Shirt and shoes that cover their toes. I have even stood on the left side of a friend and got pelted with tons of .40 casings so my friend could concentrate on shooting.

What the hell does skittish have to do with it? That shooting station was not usable for experienced or novice shooters...... Period.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. My son and I visited ECPR for the 1st time today and was pleasantly surprised.
    Everyone was friendly and helpful. From the woman at the table in front, the man who did our safety orientation, to the RSO's, who were very professional.
    I have been to several ranges, public and private, in west and central IN and ECPR is one of the best.
    I will be going back.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    What the hell does skittish have to do with it? That shooting station was not usable for experienced or novice shooters...... Period.

I probably shouldn't be replying to this because I think you're just trolling and trying to start an argument now, but here it goes.

I'm a pretty experienced shooter and so are a LOT of other people on here and I guarantee a good chunk of us would have had ZERO issue with that station. I know this because you're not the first person to come on here complaining about this same type of thing and as much has been said.

Taking someone that's skittish to the range and standing in between them and the spent casings flying toward them can have a positive affect on their skittishness. Not being hit by it can help to get them use to shooting and being at the range enough to where they are comfortable and it wont freak them out as bad when they do get hit by some brass. That's when they can get use to that too. Now the big boom of the .45 (or whatever) next to you just takes some getting use to and nothing but experience will help with that. That's also getting over the skittishness.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Well, sorry to hear about your situation. I worked out there today and did hear of the situation from the other ROs. But, we never heard anything about skittish people though? From what it seemed, you wanted to move because brass was going into your bag. You wanted to move to another spot that was already occupied by people that were out for safety orientation, or so I was told, not refused flatly, some reasoning behind it.

Now, that being said, we are more than accomodating, please tell us your exact intentions and what you need and we will help out. I do apologize the spots you requested were already earmarked for people who were out for orientation. If your beloved is skittish around firearms, we can try to accomodate her and set up something, however, we are a public range and have to take all considerations into account. I can't honestly kick someone out of their spot for having a .45 or an autoloader, but we were not made aware that you wanted to move due to the percussion of their weapons. If I recall, the guy shooting the .45 even offered to stop shooting, but was declined the opportunity as you had left.

I apologize for your experience, but please bear in mind that we have to adjust for everyone, BUT will try our best to accomodate you. We just have to know what you want. As a personal suggestion: Come out Sunday morning. Everyone is off at church until about 11 or 12, lots of open lanes and generally pretty quiet for an hour before people start filtering in. :) Also, speak up, talk with us! We can't adjust or fix something unless we get more than a question, we need to know what's on your mind, what you need. :)

Thank you for responding. There seems to be some misconception about the whole situation today and perhaps I did not come across as clearly as I thought.

I was ticked off and still believe I had every right to be that way. Before being assigned that station I had asked if we could use one that was further to the right of the group that was shooting. I was then told about the group in orientation. I can sympathize with that mind set but my wife and I are also paying to shoot there and we had to wait a while before we were able to shoot our first time there. However, that is NOT the point.

I do not consider myself an unreasonable person but the station we were assigned could not have been used most shooters and in most cases no shooter would have been expected to use that station. I felt bad for the person to my left because he was just trying to enjoy his time at the range yet he knew we would not be able to shoot until he was done. I'm afraid he may have cut his time short because of my wife and I not being able to shoot which I am sure put a damper on his attitude.

Anyway, after a hot cartridge or two down my shirt, a few more bouncing off my head, and more hitting my pistols, I again asked if we could be moved and the response I got was one word.........."no".

I was not upset with the other shooters at all. I was just trying to get a comfortable station for my wife and I to target shoot.

You never heard us complain last week when the gentleman with that 460 hand cannon was shaking the foundation of the building. Hell, nobody could shoot when that thing was being fired. I was only upset because it made my 44 mag seem kinda wimpy. I may be emotionally scarred for life.

Anyway, the station to the far left was empty and the target was new. The stations to the right were the ones I was told were for the folks in orientation. The way I see it is we could have been moved to the far left and we would have been happy, the person with the brass on steroids would have been happy, and the people in orientation would still have had the same stations and been happy.

I do not want nor do I expect special treatment. I only ask that the RO's recognize uncomfortable situations and be a bit more receptive to solutions.

BTW, for all you folks that think my wife is "skittish"......... she has probably shot more deer, prairie dogs, and targets than most of you have ever seen. I've seen her shoot a 1/4-inch group at 100 yds with a varmit rifle...... how many of you can make that claim?

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I guess I don't see any similarities in that scenario at all. In fact, I don't have a clue why you even posted it.
    That would make two of us. What exactly is your complaint? You went to an establishment that caters to individuals shooting firearms, but you didn't like the fact that their were already others there shooting firearms.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    BTW, for all you folks that think my wife is "skittish"......... she has probably shot more deer, prairie dogs, and targets than most of you have ever seen. I've seen her shoot a 1/4-inch group at 100 yds with a varmit rifle...... how many of you can make that claim?

And now I'm going to do the inevitable. Pics or it didn't happen. lol

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    That would make two of us. What exactly is your complaint? You went to an establishment that caters to individuals shooting firearms, but you didn't like the fact that their were already others there shooting firearms.

Just exactly where did I make that statement?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thank you for responding. There seems to be some misconception about the whole situation today and perhaps I did not come across as clearly as I thought.

I was ticked off and still believe I had every right to be that way. Before being assigned that station I had asked if we could use one that was further to the right of the group that was shooting. I was then told about the group in orientation. I can sympathize with that mind set but my wife and I are also paying to shoot there and we had to wait a while before we were able to shoot our first time there. However, that is NOT the point.

I do not consider myself an unreasonable person but the station we were assigned could not have been used most shooters and in most cases no shooter would have been expected to use that station. I felt bad for the person to my left because he was just trying to enjoy his time at the range yet he knew we would not be able to shoot until he was done. I'm afraid he may have cut his time short because of my wife and I not being able to shoot which I am sure put a damper on his attitude.

Anyway, after a hot cartridge or two down my shirt, a few more bouncing off my head, and more hitting my pistols, I again asked if we could be moved and the response I got was one word.........."no".

I was not upset with the other shooters at all. I was just trying to get a comfortable station for my wife and I to target shoot.

You never heard us complain last week when the gentleman with that 460 hand cannon was shaking the foundation of the building. Hell, nobody could shoot when that thing was being fired. I was only upset because it made my 44 mag seem kinda wimpy. I may be emotionally scarred for life.

Anyway, the station to the far left was empty and the target was new. The stations to the right were the ones I was told were for the folks in orientation. The way I see it is we could have been moved to the far left and we would have been happy, the person with the brass on steroids would have been happy, and the people in orientation would still have had the same stations and been happy.

I do not want nor do I expect special treatment. I only ask that the RO's recognize uncomfortable situations and be a bit more receptive to solutions.

Uhm, YOU are the one that said:
    We got placed between to guys with 45's which is normally OK with me but my wife is still a bit shy so she wasn't too happy.

Surely you can see how easy that could be misinterpreted..

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I probably shouldn't be replying to this because I think you're just trolling and trying to start an argument now, but here it goes.

I'm a pretty experienced shooter and so are a LOT of other people on here and I guarantee a good chunk of us would have had ZERO issue with that station. I know this because you're not the first person to come on here complaining about this same type of thing and as much has been said.

Taking someone that's skittish to the range and standing in between them and the spent casings flying toward them can have a positive affect on their skittishness. Not being hit by it can help to get them use to shooting and being at the range enough to where they are comfortable and it wont freak them out as bad when they do get hit by some brass. That's when they can get use to that too. Now the big boom of the .45 (or whatever) next to you just takes some getting use to and nothing but experience will help with that. That's also getting over the skittishness.

So, just how many bowls of "Stupid" do you eat in the morning? I'm not trolling for any such thing. LOL The next time I post something I'll try to type slower so you can understand. Try reading the posts again. The person doing the shooting knew his gun would make it darn near impossible for anyone to his right to shoot. He said that to me.

I don't know exactly what "pretty experienced" means and don't really care. I had my first gun when I was 10 yrs old..........45 years ago. Before that I used to go to the pistol range with my father to watch him shoot. BTW, did I mention he was on the US Navy Pistol Team? I grew up with guns as part of my up-bringing. I finished high school in a small town in South Dakota where shooting a gopher at 100 yds with a 22 was no big deal. My first antelope was taken at a range exceeding 600 yds. My first deer taken with my 44 mag Ruger was almost 100 yds. I've taken prairie dogs at 400+ yards with my 22-250 and have hit pop bottles at over 600 yds. About the only ones that think I don't have experience are the ones that look at my post count on this forum.

The thing is that shooting is a skill that needs to be honed. Sometimes more honing is needed, sometimes less. I try to encourage people to take up shooting as a sport and would like to see more shooters do the same.

In a nutshell, I only asked to be moved to a different station which would have made the whole situation non-existant in a heartbeat. If other stations were not available then that's a different story. But in this case there were others available.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Uhm, YOU are the one that said:

Surely you can see how easy that could be misinterpreted..

Yep, I can see that. That's why we originally requested a station farther to the right of the other shooters. I let her know what she should expect and what not to expect. Getting a chunk of brass bounced off you is common at a range. Getting every piece of brass out of the gun to your left in the face is not. Some guns just do that but when they do the RO's shouldn't put people in the station that is in the direct path of that brass. This brass was not going up in the air and then falling into the other station. This brass was coming out in a flat trajectory at eye level.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    So you're 55 years old and obviously have a lot of growing up to do to take offense to that as much as you did. Not to mention the name calling now. And if you don't care what my experience with guns and shooting is then what makes you think I care what yours is? If that's all true, then awesome. Sounds like you're a great shot, (and I don't mean that in a condescending way, either) but it seems to me that now you're trying to use it to show off on an internet forum.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    So you're 55 years old and obviously have a lot of growing up to do to take offense to that as much as you did. Not to mention the name calling now. And if you don't care what my experience with guns and shooting is then what makes you think I care what yours is? If that's all true, then awesome. Sounds like you're a great shot, (and I don't mean that in a condescending way, either) but it seems to me that now you're trying to use it to show off on an internet forum.

What name did you take offense to? What name do you feel you didn't deserve? Lighten up! :)

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    You're telling me to lighten up? Lol, I never left my lightened up stage. You've been the one going off on people.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Well, I'll probably go back to the range tomorrow morning and work things out. My other visits there have been good and this was probably a fluke.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    This just keeps getting better. Just let it go, man. You say you can hunt, shoot long range, introduce people to the sport and I say good for you. It's also irrelevant that your father was on a pistol team. You can kind of see why others are thinking trolling. Trolls brag and can't back up their facts just so they can argue and be an Internet bully. Just let it go.

If you are going out this morning then I am glad your perceived experience hasn't tainted you because this is your closest range other than Don's. Speak up, be courteous and enjoy your time shooting there.

FWIW, my teenage daughter learned to shoot this year and this is the range we went to. Yes, she was hit by brass and even was near a big bore (454, 460, 500-not sure which) and she survived. I've stood between the shooter on her left and her while she is shooting before but this is part of it. Not everyone has bolt actions or revolvers. At 55 you should know this and accept it.

I stand to my friends right and get hit with Kimber 45 brass all the time. Not his fault, either. I also choose that position because I keep all his brass. Go, have fun and if it's still not for you then look into MCFG, but you will need a Basic Firearms Endorsement to join. Maybe someone here will invite you along to check it out or just go to the Friday Night Steel match to see what the place is like.

If you have been there before you should also have known how the barrels were set up and their proximity to one another. Get there early, request that left lane.

Top Bottom