MY PERSONAL PATH AWAY FROM THE 1911 (Hilton Yam)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That is what you get from my posts.......Really...:dunno:

Ummm, I am not sure. I would have to go back and look at who actually wrote what. There are a probably a dozen people on INGO whose stuff I make it a point to read either because I know and like them, or I have grown to respect their opinions. You, BBI, Evan, iCP, Lovemachine, rhino, VERT, etc. In threads like this that I know will be contentious, I do my best to not pay attention to who is posting what. It may sound a little silly, but I don't want my initial opinion biased by who is writing the post. Sorta like the Joe Biden and the shotgun thing. There may be a lawy, errr person here who no matter what he posts I will find a way to disagree with.:): So when it is something that is going to have impassioned opinions, I would rather they remain anonymous. Does that make any sense? So short answer, it was a bunch of posts I was responding to yours may or may not have been one of them. If I am directly responding to someone I try to quote them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ummm, I am not sure. I would have to go back and look at who actually wrote what. There are a probably a dozen people on INGO whose stuff I make it a point to read either because I know and like them, or I have grown to respect their opinions. You, BBI, Evan, iCP, Lovemachine, rhino, VERT, etc. In threads like this that I know will be contentious, I do my best to not pay attention to who is posting what. It may sound a little silly, but I don't want my initial opinion biased by who is writing the post. Sorta like the Joe Biden and the shotgun thing. There may be a lawy, errr person here who no matter what he posts I will find a way to disagree with.:): So when it is something that is going to have impassioned opinions, I would rather they remain anonymous. Does that make any sense? So short answer, it was a bunch of posts I was responding to yours may or may not have been one of them. If I am directly responding to someone I try to quote them.

No worries. Just went back and read what I had put up. Must not have been me.......:)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Different people have different needs. Different guns excel in different areas. Combine those two facts, and you have different experiences. The areas the 1911 excels in areas that match my requirements. If I were a competitor shooting thousands of rounds in one day, it may not match up as well.

Yes, I get that and agree. Really I think that is the gist of the articles at MSW. They are saying that these days it is probably not the best option to use the 1911 as a general issue weapon to a minimally trained, low maintenance type unit when there are simpler more durable, and yes cheaper options available. I think people may be getting the wrong idea. I don't dislike 1911's. I wouldn't have just bought one if I did. I was merely passing on what I though was a relevant, well written article.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually, don't tell anyone, but I am ordering an Archangel holster for mine and if the gun proves reliable, I may even carry it sometimes. Just bought a bunch of Critical Duty ammo to try out in it.

I fit a set of Archangel magwell grips to one of the RO's and they work very well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

:shady:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yes, I get that and agree. Really I think that is the gist of the articles at MSW. They are saying that these days it is probably not the best option to use the 1911 as a general issue weapon to a minimally trained, low maintenance type unit when there are simpler more durable, and yes cheaper options available. I think people may be getting the wrong idea. I don't dislike 1911's. I wouldn't have just bought one if I did. I was merely passing on what I though was a relevant, well written article.

I'd say that sums it up pretty well. I don't think a 1911 is a the right carry gun for someone unwilling to invest in its care and use. In our world today, there are plenty of great guns that can be had and used by folks that are not 'gun people'. They are like an old 911 or BMW 2002. Anyone can buy one and enjoy it once in a while, but if you want to press it into daily use, you need to know how to run them and maintain them. Today's cars tell you when they need attention. The old ones have no computer display to tell you how many miles until the next oil change or bazillion sensors monitoring vehicle health.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    For the record, I did NOT cry (much) when Hilton betrayed me and blasphemed against Saint John Moses. I'm NOT emotionally attached! Leave the 1911 alone!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I play around a lot with the whole 1911s vs other soulless plastic guns a lot, but the real bottom line for me is they're all just tools. Each has its strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. It's probably not the best choice for the "caveman" crowd.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are saying that these days it is probably not the best option to use the 1911 as a general issue weapon to a minimally trained, low maintenance type unit when there are simpler more durable, and yes cheaper options available.

I'd agree. Operating the safety (which is not the same as flicking it off when you draw) takes training and practice. Cops draw their guns a lot more than they shoot them, and when you've got a 1911 trigger the safety is an integral part of remaining safe as you search, etc.

The reason I no longer carry a 1911 is because I can't always carry a 1911. It is not a gun I can switch back and forth with because of its unique requirements. I need to be ALL 1911 or NO 1911, and my department says no 1911.

Plus, I've really come to appreciate the traditional DA/SA for LE purposes.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I wouldn't doubt he can make more money using less effort with a M&P. Just sayin'. I'd bet my most prized possesions more departments allow a M&P than a 1911. Just the way business works. After all, everyone wants the most return on the least amount of effort. I do own a M&P BTW.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It all reminds me of the story Jeff Cooper related about when he went to instruct cadets at the FBI Academy. When he pulled out his 1911 with a trigger and ergonomics and shootability that were obviously superior to whatever gun the cadets were using, someone told him the it was unfair for him to be using that gun. He later postulated that perhaps the first thing we should expect from a weapon we are carrying is that it be unfair.

Well, the 1911 is still just as unfair as it ever was. If the lemmings want to follow Yam and Pincus and Jesus Christ himself off the cliff, then so be it. Less competition for those of us at the top.

Vanguard.45

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    True dat! I have owned 1911's from cheap to premium and, other than the mags, the most common feature was I had to constantly fiddle with them to keep them reliable. Adjusting extractor tension, re-profiling ejectors...polished feed ramps, polished breech faces on the cheap ones. I have a buddy that got a new Kimber SIS, when they 1st came out, a the MF wouldn't run hardball, I seen it and had it jam in my own hands! Conversely, I've shot thousands of rounds thru Glocks and Beretta 92G and FS, with not one single failure and no modifications to the guns other than sights. That's my path away...there is better. They're a cool 'ole design, but what's at stake is more important than nostalgia or romantic fantasy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What bothers me about the 1911s I've owned over the years is that they either work really, really well, or they never work well enough for me to trust them, regardless of what work is done to them. The Kimber .45 and Springfield 9mm I shoot the most will only malfunction if they get bone dry. I don't clean them in the sense that most shooters consider cleaning. I wipe off some crud with a paper towel every thousand rounds or so and add lube occasionally. They work.

Then there are the others.

So the only real problem I see with 1911s is inconsistency. Which means that if you get a good one that works well, never, ever let it go. Kind of like an AR in .308.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    A clean carry weapon is a safe weapon in terms of reliability. I personally will not carry a weapon that is not cleaned on a regular basis. That is just me, everyone else has their own ideas on a weapon. I guess that my experience has taught me to keep a weapon in tip top shape. My life may depend on it one day and I do not want a malfunction due to a dirty weapon. Inconsistency is a problem when you do not clean a 1911, it is not an AR.:dunno:

Top Bottom