My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As per request from another thread, my new tank is up and running.

Thanks to the advice I received, all of the fish survived the move and seem to be very healthy.:yesway:

I thought my memory card was working, but I guess I was wrong. I will replace these crappy iPhone pictures with good ones once Kara gets home.

The tank.

Most of the rocks came with it, but I added a few myself and will keep picking up rocks here and there until I have one large structure.

I have 2-350 gallons per hour filters and a TopFin 4000 air pump.

DSC_4951.jpg

The only male flametail peacock that has most of his coloring back.

DSC_4956.jpg

Green Terror Cichlid

DSC_4965.jpg

Keyhole Cichlid.

DSC_4959.jpg

I'd say I got a pretty good deal for $150.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Very cool. That looks great.

I used to have a lot of tanks, but after moving from apartment to apartment for years I finally gave up on them (moving tanks from home to home sucks!). Mine were mostly salt water as I always found them easier to maintain for some odd reason.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I forgot to ask...

My tank stinks. The water is crystal clear and I don't think the original filter is ready to be changed yet, but I can smell the tank several yards before I get to it.

What can I do to fix this?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The jack dempsey and the blue cichlid are sweet. Do you have a heater? tropical fish won't last long without one, you can get away with it in saltwater but any temp fluctuations by a degree or two can screw everything up. If you turn off the bubbles the tank won't stink as bad since you're not circulating the stench. Also until bacteria forms on your filter media, you're tank will stink. The bacteria eat the crap.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As soon as I saw the first picture, I thought "That'd be a great set-up for a cichlid tank!"

I love it when I'm right.

Looks good, man!

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    That flametail looks like he is in the process of coloring up. By the pic, I can't tell if he is a Usisya-Flavescent or Ngara. It also looks like you have a few females. Either a Aulonocara kandeensis or Aulonocara maylandi. They are so close it's impossible for me to tell. Anywho, congrats on the new setup!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The jack dempsey and the blue cichlid are sweet. Do you have a heater? tropical fish won't last long without one, you can get away with it in saltwater but any temp fluctuations by a degree or two can screw everything up. If you turn off the bubbles the tank won't stink as bad since you're not circulating the stench. Also until bacteria forms on your filter media, you're tank will stink. The bacteria eat the crap.

Yes, I have a heater...It is directly under the left filter. You can see the tip of it through the rock structure second from the left.

BTW, there is plenty of bacteria formed on the left filter; that one came with the tank...I'd really hate to turn off the bubbles, because I like the way they look.

Where are the plants?

I'm working on that...I actually bought a bunch of drop in seeds, but I'm going to get some tall background plants here soon.

As soon as I saw the first picture, I thought "That'd be a great set-up for a cichlid tank!"

I love it when I'm right.

Looks good, man!

Haha thanks. Yeah I like the set up so far, but I'll like it better once I find enough rocks(puzzle pieces) to create one large structure in the center.

That flametail looks like he is in the process of coloring up. By the pic, I can't tell if he is a Usisya-Flavescent or Ngara. It also looks like you have a few females. Either a Aulonocara kandeensis or Aulonocara maylandi. They are so close it's impossible for me to tell. Anywho, congrats on the new setup!

Ngara.

Yeah, there are a few females in there that I can tell, but the small ones are impossible to tell for me(and almost anyone) to tell...I could take better pictures of them, but I didn't because they are so plain looking and if you've seen one of them, you've seen them all.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    GRRRR now you've got me wanting to setup another cichlid tank, thanks a lot Joe!

It does look like a great start man, congrats again on the new tank, what's the stand/cabinet look like? are you considering slapping on some sort of background to the backside of the tank in order to hide the wires and stuff?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Tank looks good! I wish I had the patience for a marine tank but here lately it's all I can do to remember to feed daily!!!

Doh! Just looked at the actual fish! Not marine but still sweet!!!

Top Bottom