• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    The ones that scare the bejezus out of me is the ones that kill skin. They always make it sound like it could just kill all the skin and never stop!
    I think that’s the black widow, or maybe a rattlesnake bite?

Seen some pictures where all the skin and meat just keeps dying back around the bite or sting wound and you end up with a big hole.

But, I suspect life would be kinda rough if something ate all your skin!!!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Even at church now for the sign of peace some people look at you like you’re crazy when you go to shake their hand.

And why the 4311 didn’t you just shoot that spider if you had your piece and leave the poor attendant in awe!!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think that’s the black widow, or maybe a rattlesnake bite?

Seen some pictures where all the skin and meat just keeps dying back around the bite or sting wound and you end up with a big hole.

But, I suspect life would be kinda rough if something ate all your skin!!!
    the one they always talk about is the brown recluse hiding in shoes and stuff.....shiver

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    the one they always talk about is the brown recluse hiding in shoes and stuff.....shiver
    Here's your gateway to all things brown recluse.
    They're not nearly as dangerous as everyone thinks. Where they are endemic, you don't hear about mass recluse attacks and people overwhelming hospitals with bite cases. They live under the beds of children in Oklahoma and Arkansas without dire consequences.

https://spiders.ucr.edu/myth-brown-recluse-fact-fear-and-loathing

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Personal experience:
    When living in NE Ohio, 2 neighbors and a friend from church had their necrotic lesions diagnosed by doctors as recluse bites, even though NE Ohio is far out of the range of these spiders. What we have here is ignorant, lazy doctors assigning blame to a non-existent spider while ignoring the real cause of the lesions, which could cause health issues later due to their ignorance and laziness.

The only recluse I have ever seen (it was dead) was brought to a naturalist friend in Evansville (well within recluse range). One spider, dead, in a jar.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Thanks for posting that. I actually read it all, tho I will admit to skimming more over the last half. I did read the last sentence, and that did kind of clarify my feelings of this is some non-scientific writing (not that I would recognize it anyway).

I think I am thinking of a picture of a dog at the vet that was bitten on the nose by a rattlesnake, survived, but part of its’ nose and lip was eaten away, but healed up just part of it was missing.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Our grandson from Texas was here last weekend. He is an avid bug collector. We made countless trips/dog walks around the property and collected bugs in a jar.

I had found several examples of these little “guys” this summer and looked them up as possible baby tarantula. They are not, only 6 legs for one thing. Apparently, I’m still capable of learning and in fact don’t know it all! They do have tarantulas in ABQ, but not up here.

They are in fact dasymutilla, a non flying form of a wasp, and they do sting. They are about 3/4 or less and scoot along pretty quickly.

Anyway, our grandson was trying to catch one with his bare fingers. I guess I was getting bored or something, he gave out a yelp and I saw what was scooting away. Cried for about 2 minutes, grandpa said walk it off, and he was out on “Bugventure” the next morning.

Also known as velvet ant.

I also learned about the Schmidt Pain Index, which I had never heard of before, but I found kind of interesting. So did our grandson, in a more meaningful way…….

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpeg
      IMG_5664.jpeg
      356.5 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_5665.jpeg
      IMG_5665.jpeg
      203.4 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_5666.jpeg
      IMG_5666.jpeg
      239.3 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    We also have desert stink beetles. On a hot afternoon you can usually see a couple from just about anywhere. The dogs and chickens won’t mess with them. If you touch them with your toe they stand on their heads, ready to spray.

Our grandson collected a few on his first excursion with his Dad. When I saw them and said they were stink beetles he stopped collecting them. We never noticed any foul smell in his hands or anything? Grandson did like to do his impression of them, which involved squatting down, then leaning forward as far as he could trying to touch his head on the ground, all while giving commentary of the beetle action. It was quite comical. I wish I could make my body move like that!!

Attachments

• IMG_3617.jpeg
      IMG_3617.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 5
    • IMG_5667.png
      IMG_5667.png
      466.2 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Not as dangerous as everyone thinks. I shared a park entrance booth with 10 or 20 all summer and never had a problem.

And it's a cute little GIRL.
    You are a braver Boy or Girl than I am!!!

I was keeping a pretty close eye on her after I noticed it. For some reason I thought they could jump some distance? This one did not.

Made me think of my regular trips to Tractor Supply, my sole form of excitement these days! They always ask for your phone number for customer rewards I guess. My wife and my name pop up, Sherry and Doug, then they look at you and say Sherry or Doug?? It makes no difference, same account. Last trip I was there wearing an old work shirt with DOUG over the right pocket. I’ve taken to saying “Doug, but thanks for not assuming my gender!” One trip I said, “Well I woke up as Sherry, but on the way here I transitioned to Doug, so Doug.” That did not seemed to be received in the spirit of humor (stupidity) that it was offered. Maybe it was…..,,

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Personal experience:
    When living in NE Ohio, 2 neighbors and a friend from church had their necrotic lesions diagnosed by doctors as recluse bites, even though NE Ohio is far out of the range of these spiders. What we have here is ignorant, lazy doctors assigning blame to a non-existent spider while ignoring the real cause of the lesions, which could cause health issues later due to their ignorance and laziness.

The only recluse I have ever seen (it was dead) was brought to a naturalist friend in Evansville (well within recluse range). One spider, dead, in a jar.
    The father of one of my great nephews was bitten (allegedly) by a brown recluse in southern Indiana and his lesion turned into a huge hole in his back. IIRC he was working around or in a woodpile.

Top Bottom