• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    30 feet of Red Oak. The OG will split it up into 90 pieces. Ready by next winter. This is one of two trees I found after the loggers came through, victims of the skidder unfortunately. But we will make good use of it. There are many more like this in the woods that will be easy harvesting as they are usually down already. I wrapped the winch rope around the base, cut the crown off, cut off the root ball and drug it out to where I could easily get at it.
    20240901_165649.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    30 feet of Red Oak. The OG will split it up into 90 pieces. Ready by next winter. This is one of two trees I found after the loggers came through, victims of the skidder unfortunately. But we will make good use of it. There are many more like this in the woods that will be easy harvesting as they are usually down already. I wrapped the winch rope around the base, cut the crown off, cut off the root ball and drug it out to where I could easily get at it.
    View attachment 377309

How do you like the longer pickaroon? I had the hatchet length. It was fine, but I broke it and need another.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Had a friend of a friend who dropped a bunch of large pine trees on his property.

I don't go out of my way for pine, but if it's free and easy to access, I will take it. The outdoor boiler burns it just fine.

Hooked up the 30' gooseneck and put the stakes in the sides and loaded it down pretty heavy. The guy had an excavator and knew how to use it so he loaded it up with the longest logs on the outsides against the stakes and filled in with shorter pieces in the middle.

It's a 14K pound trailer and we reached a point where I was pretty sure we were over that, so I told him to stop. What was left was shorter pieces that would be a PITA on that trailer. He offered up his 16' gooseneck dump trailer, so I ran home, dropped our trailer, and came back and hooked up his. Ended up being a very full load in that trailer as well.

I will wait for it to get a bit cooler before I start hacking it up. It will be nice to mix it in with the hardwoods that another friend and a local tree service have been dropping off. Especially in fall and spring when I don't need that much heat.

VrIRz97l.jpg

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Had a friend of a friend who dropped a bunch of large pine trees on his property.

I don't go out of my way for pine, but if it's free and easy to access, I will take it. The outdoor boiler burns it just fine.

Hooked up the 30' gooseneck and put the stakes in the sides and loaded it down pretty heavy. The guy had an excavator and knew how to use it so he loaded it up with the longest logs on the outsides against the stakes and filled in with shorter pieces in the middle.

It's a 14K pound trailer and we reached a point where I was pretty sure we were over that, so I told him to stop. What was left was shorter pieces that would be a PITA on that trailer. He offered up his 16' gooseneck dump trailer, so I ran home, dropped our trailer, and came back and hooked up his. Ended up being a very full load in that trailer as well.

I will wait for it to get a bit cooler before I start hacking it up. It will be nice to mix it in with the hardwoods that another friend and a local tree service have been dropping off. Especially in fall and spring when I don't need that much heat.
    As they say pine is fine!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Cut up 8 Oak logs I had been planning on sending to the mill, but never got them there. Drug them out of the woods a year or so ago, and the insects were getting in them pretty good.

IMG_3575.jpeg

Today, the splitter comes out.

When I moved the logs yesterday, I did find this guy.

IMG_3571.jpeg

IMG_3572.png

Stay vigilant!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Did a little bit of splitting today. The grapple is awesome!

I hate setting up the splitter vertical, it just wears out my back. With the grapple, I can run 30” logs horizontal.

Barely put a dent in the pile of rounds I had cut and I’ve replaced half of what I burned/gave away last year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom