My first empty holster. Interesting reactions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I don't carry my handgun yet since I don't have my LTCH. But, today was the first day of wearing an empty holster (and my INGO hat!).

My first stop was the bank. Lady in front of me, in her late 20s, was just looking around the bank, caught sight of my holster, and then nodded at me in smiling approval.

Then we went grocery shopping. Was way too busy to even notice if people glanced my direction.

Then I stopped by City Hall to ask some questions about our city. Spoke with three different ladies, one of them seemed very much in disapproval.

I'm sure I'll notice people's reactions less and less over time.

BTW, it's a Fobus paddle holster with Ruger printed on it.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I have to wonder how many people thought you had dropped it somewhere and haven't noticed. That's probably the first thing I'd think of when seeing an empty holster, at least where it's legal to carry.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Saw a dude in our bank several months ago with an empty holster on his hip. He was old enough to have had an LTCH... So perhaps he was waiting on his, too?

I suspect, though, that he just emptied it 'cause he was going to a bank.

I seriously contemplated letting him know that bank carry was legal in Indiana but I didn't.

-J-

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yep, they'll be checking the restrooms when you leave places. :):

You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Actually, I'll bet you get odder looks at the empty holster than when it has a gun in it. ;)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I don't carry my handgun yet since I don't have my LTCH. But, today was the first day of wearing an empty holster (and my INGO hat!).

My first stop was the bank. Lady in front of me, in her late 20s, was just looking around the bank, caught sight of my holster, and then nodded at me in smiling approval.

Then we went grocery shopping. Was way too busy to even notice if people glanced my direction.

Then I stopped by City Hall to ask some questions about our city. Spoke with three different ladies, one of them seemed very much in disapproval.

I'm sure I'll notice people's reactions less and less over time.

BTW, it's a Fobus paddle holster with Ruger printed on it.

If a gun with a full magazine is nothing but a brick with out one in the chamber, what's the point of this?

Why would you carry an empty holster and what possible difference could it make what is printed on it? Do you have a matching belt and shoes that bad guys would just die for when they see it?

Got to admit the hat just might make the ensemble.:dunno:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    If a gun with a full magazine is nothing but a brick with out one in the chamber, what's the point of this?

Why would you carry an empty holster and what possible difference could it make what is printed on it? Do you have a matching belt and shoes that bad guys would just die for when they see it?

Got to admit the hat just might make the ensemble.:dunno:
    Being someone who has virtually no history with guns, I'm trying to get as comfortable as possible with carrying. I open carry in my house every day to get as used to it as I can.

Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility? I don't understand the negative tone in your post. In fact, I think it's quite silly that while we're all trying to make Indiana a better place, you're nitpicking.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wore an empty holster to class today. My neighbor stopped me in the driveway and asked about it. He said, "You carry a gun?!" We got into a long conversation and he went into his house and brought out a Taurus PT911 that be bought from another trucker for $300. He then brought out an old rusty .22 that he asked me to clean up for him. I didn't get any looks that I am aware, though.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Being someone who has virtually no history with guns, I'm trying to get as comfortable as possible with carrying. I open carry in my house every day to get as used to it as I can.

Surely you can understand mentally and physically preparing oneself for a great responsibility? I don't understand the negative tone in your post. In fact, I think it's quite silly that while we're all trying to make Indiana a better place, you're nitpicking.

Jack? Nitpicking? NEVER!
    :cool:

r.o.b.o.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks carrying around an empty holster is pointless, dumb, and makes you look like an idiot?

Kinda reminds me of some 15 year old kid carrying some car keys around and showing everyone because he is going to be getting his license soon.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Am I the only one who thinks carrying around an empty holster is pointless, dumb, and makes you look like an idiot?

Kinda reminds me of some 15 year old kid carrying some car keys around and showing everyone because he is going to be getting his license soon.
    You're a nice fellow, aren't you?

Maybe there's a bigger issue at play here. We have this thing called the 2nd Amendment which confirms our God given right to defend ourselves and our loved ones from harm. It's a big shame though that Indiana has seen fit to make us get licensed to utilize that right. Wearing an empty holster can be called practice (as I have done), but even more so, it's a statement. A statement of what should be free.

Instead of thanking me for preparing to arm myself so that I can not only protect the innocent, and maybe even you one day, you choose to ridicule. Who's the idiot?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I think when someone is trying to get used to the feel of wearing a holster, it could be a good idea. I wore an empty holster today in support of our Second Amendment rights on the IUPUI campus.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i dont understand why people are getting on the OPs case for wearing an empty holster. if he wants to do that, thats fine. i didnt do that b4 i got my license but i thought about it. i did wear my gun around the house. he can do as he wants. its a free country. not as free as it should be but for a few more weeks, still not communist.

r.o.b.o.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    I think when someone is trying to get used to the feel of wearing a holster, it could be a good idea. I wore an empty holster today in support of our Second Amendment rights on the IUPUI campus.

I understand wearing in protest like the IUPUI deal but I don't understand wearing a holster as "practice." How do you "practice" wearing a holster? You put it on your belt and that's it. You practice drawing your weapon from the holster. But the weapon needs to be involved to get any practice. If you want to know what it feels like try it on at home. its gonna feel the same every time. It's not even realistic because most of the weight will be from the gun and ammo.

:twocents:

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Protest -

Thanks for holding your tongue and not ripping the neigh sayers a new one. You are doing what is right for you. Others don't have to understand it, but they should at least support you for the choice to prepare yourself.

Bravo Zulu

Doug

Oh, Yea, Bacon too

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I understand wearing in protest like the IUPUI deal but I don't understand wearing a holster as "practice." How do you "practice" wearing a holster?

Actually, I did exactly that with my first holster (though I had a gun at the time)- a Crossbreed Supertuck. It takes a while for it to form to your body and to get used to wearing a holster before my LTCH came in.

Top Bottom