• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I was thinking of a Rock Island Armory 1911, since I refuse to pay more than $600 for a pistol. The reviews seem good for this brand (I hear Jetgirl approves, so that's good enough for me), and the Tactical model in particular seems popular. My problem is I need some convincing to move to .45 caliber ammo. All my pistols are 9mm, and I have invested in thousands of of 9mm bullets. The only reason I dare get into .45 is because I am reloading now, otherwise it would be too expensive to shoot. So I my question is whether it's worth it to add another caliber to my collection. Don't tell me to get a 9mm 1911, because I've seen those fail epically, and I don't want anything unreliable.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We have both Rock Islands in stock that may float your boat, a 9mm full size tactical 1911 and a 45 if you choose to jump ship and join us ;)

You can come in and decide for yourself after fondling both :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    .45ACP is a very versatile caliber. You won't go wrong choosing to add it to your stable. However, .38 Super is a very viable 1911 caliber, and depending on the bores of your guns, it is quite possible you could use your projectiles interchangeably.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You can also check around and see who might trade with you in terms of your bullets.
    Other than that... load em' up and shoot 'em. :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    With 1911s, the quality really does tend to go up with the price. While there is nothing wrong with a RIA (I had one and it worked great), I would suggest spending a little extra for a Springfield Armory Mil-spec or Loaded. If for no other reason, because SA has some of the best CS in the industry.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    One thing for sure, whatever model you choose for your first 1911, it won't be your last (and the price tags typically don't go down on future purchases). 1911s are addicting. Experience talking. :ingo:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yea, RIA or Springfield are both on my radar. I don't like fancy, shiny guns. I won't buy uber expensive guns. I like tough guns. I know hunting and going to the range isn't exactly tough, but I do have the collectors bug for milspec type stuff, and love examining the mechanics of a reliable design.

Trading 9mm ammo is a good idea. I don't really need my factory loads much anymore. If I can just get about 500 factory .45 rounds, then I will be set for a while!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I also suggest looking into a Springfield. The RIA is a good 1911. I have never had any issues with my Tactical model. But, I would take a S.A. over RIA, any day.:twocents:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Yea , I am wanting the Springfield also (more $$$ tho), I would like to compare it to the Sig p-220.

Unless you like DA/SA there's no comparison. Believe it or not, I've even seen a 1911 cycle rounds that the Sig would not. Eat that James Yaegar lol.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    My tattoo artist carries a rock island 1911(45)

You can't go wrong with a 45 and I wouldn't own a 1911 in any other caliber.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Refusing to spend over $600 on a 1911 is going to exclude you from some excellent firearms that are worth their price tags. The only 1911 in that price range I've ever bought was also the only one I ever sold. But I've heard enough people say they like what RIA gives you for the money. Shop around, prices seem to be decent these days. I saw a more than a few Colts I would've bought this weekend if I wasn't saving up for a wedding with very fair asking prices.

From my experience, I agree with you on skipping the 9mm versions. The one I have has been a basket case. YMMV

Welcome aboard the 1911 wagon, you'll enjoy it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea, RIA or Springfield are both on my radar. I don't like fancy, shiny guns. I won't buy uber expensive guns. I like tough guns.

So buy a Glock! :p

I hear you. Im a die hard Glock shooter and the more I look at 1911s the more I want one. I just cant bring myself to pay almost $1000 (or more) for a handgun.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If you get a commander model you don't have to feel like you are committing treason by getting it in 9mm. The commander was originally chambered in 9mm.

Now not having a 9mm commander, I can't say anything about their reliability. But that is what Colt made it for.

I still got my commander in .45ACP.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    If you're fine with a used gun. Try Gunbroker or Armslist. I recently purchased a used Colt Commander in .45 ACP for $700 on Gunbroker.

Top Bottom