• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I to told myself I would never pay over $700 for any gun, but then I held a Colt 1911 Combat Elite, a 1911 is like a beautiful woman ,they will change your life!

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    You may want to try the Metroarms American Classic II in .45
    i recommend them. I have one that I carry daily, compete with, target shoot, etc
    for approx $450 you get a full size government model with extended beaver tail grip safety, commander hammer, Novak style sights, lowered and flared ejection port, decent trigge job and slide to frame fit is tight.

Accuracy on mine has been great. I added an after market add-on magazine well and a set of pacmayr grips.

Only negative was the magazine that was supplied with the gun...not dry good. I bought some. Hip McCormich Classic Shooting Star magazines and it has run perfectly....the ACT mag the gun comes with will give you Mis-feeds if you load all 8 rounds.

I know a lot of people like the RIAs...but I dot care for them....however...to be fair....the ones I have handled have been at fun shows and they always seem to rattle and feel loose like they are played out.

I have put a lot of rounds through my American Classic II .45. And it still functions great and is tight and accurate. So much so, that it is my every day carry.

You can find RIAs everywhere....spend some time and see if you can find an American Classic II....

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If it's paint-on-steel, electrolysis will strip that paint in very short order. If you never used electrolysis before to clean metal, do your research first!! It's easy, relatively inexpensive, but don't go into it ill-prepared or uneducated about the process and the science.

I think it was just OD Green spray paint. I used bore cleaner liberally all over, let it sit a minute, then scrubbed with a wire brush and wiped it right off. It took about an hour or more, but it looks like new now. Heck, the gun is only a few months old. I can't wait to feel the boom of the mighty 1911!

One thing I definitely want to replace on the Para Expert is the plastic trigger, and I'll probably replace the grip safety too, just to sex it up. Oh, and I need some wooden panels. The other thing that needs a looking at is the mag release. On the Expert, you cannot push a magazine in easily without pushing the mag release a little (maybe it just needs sanded down a bit). Any advice as to what parts to get, or where to get them would be appreciated.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    That's what I love about 1911s, so customizable. They are the ARs of handguns.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My favorite, most dependable carry pistol is a 9mm compact Kimber 1911.

I have a couple S&W .45 1911's that are still in the boxes. Someday I might just have to give them a try at the range but I would never consider carrying a full size 1911.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My favorite, most dependable carry pistol is a 9mm compact Kimber 1911.

I have a couple S&W .45 1911's that are still in the boxes. Someday I might just have to give them a try at the range but I would never consider carrying a full size 1911.

A full size .45 acp is not that bad to carry. Trick is a really good belt. But I would love to have a compact 9mm. There are times when a smaller gun are just more practical.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carry a full size and not to bad. I am a fairly big guy so it fits. Also remember that a full size steel 1911 makes a great bludgeon if you ever have the need to correct someones attitude and do not want to waste a round on them. Works really well actually.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Read this...

Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use

Vickers Custom 1911 Pistols

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/

10-8 Performance: The Kimber Warrior

The people that wrote these articles carried, tuned, and shot 1911's for a living working for the Us government, or various law enforcement agencies. They still train people to shoot, and train people to maintain 1911's.

If you decide to go for one consider its use. If you don't think you will shoot more than 500 rounds a year, and never in one day, then

https://us.armscor.com/products/ < anyone that catches your eye will be suitable for target shooting, and they have a good warranty, with decent customer service, they will make it right.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc same thing here, not superb guns, but they work, and the companies stand be hind them These are great options for around $5-600

for a few dollars more, Springfield Armory is a good target gun.

If you want something to shoot the crap out of, and possibly carry, or leave loaded next to the bed.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=11 <trp is
    a solid choice="" for traditional="" look>

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=10 < operator is a great gun for having a light rail

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtRailGun.aspx again solid choice if you want a light rail

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSeries70.aspx <good traditional look heirloom quality blueing it a solid gun but not as enjoyable to shoot one with beaver tail grip safety.>

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtGoldCupSeries.aspx A very reliable target pistol,

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-brand/dan-wesson/ <the dan wesson line are great guns pick the features that you want and be happy.>

Once you buy a 1911 good mags wills be important. They are not cheap but they save a lot of headache. Chip mcCormick power mags, Tripp cobra mags and wilson combat 47D's and ETM mags are what I would look at.

I just ordered a Springfield operator PX9105MLP. Range report in a few weeks. I have been researching this for some time, I'm not an expert, but I feel I have certainly paired down advice from a very knowledgeable group of 1911 shooters.

Last edited:

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    I too just bought my first 1911. After a lot of research (here on Ingo and believe it or not You Tube) I bought a Colt 1911 XSE (Lightweight). It's worth its money. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Personally RIA, Remington, Rock Island and a lot of "lower brands" all had issues that I was not happy with. I did pass on a 2 offers for Springfield Mil Spec each stainless for $500.00, so just take your time if you decide to buy another one. You can find great deals for great guns out there.

Congrats on your trade btw.

Also what every you do, KEEP YOUR 9MM AMMO. Speaking from experience I have switch platforms so many times and sold my ammo think I would never use it, just to buy it again a year later. Trust me, it happens a lot.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Also what every you do, KEEP YOUR 9MM AMMO. Speaking from experience I have switch platforms so many times and sold my ammo think I would never use it, just to buy it again a year later. Trust me, it happens a lot.

Oh yeah. Sold my only 9mm (carry gun) and ammo last November. Somehow talked myself into a full size for a SHTF NATO sidearm and suddenly was hunting 9mm ammo during a major hoarding event. Nice!

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    One thing I definitely want to replace on the Para Expert is the plastic trigger, and I'll probably replace the grip safety too, just to sex it up. Oh, and I need some wooden panels. The other thing that needs a looking at is the mag release. On the Expert, you cannot push a magazine in easily without pushing the mag release a little (maybe it just needs sanded down a bit). Any advice as to what parts to get, or where to get them would be appreciated.

Just remember, you'll need to fit ay new parts. Grip safeties are some of the most tedious to get to fit and look right.

Top Bottom