• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    IMO you should invest a little bit more money into your 1911. Something in the 750-850 range. At the very least I urge you to consider a precision fit forged frame with decent sights and fitted match barrel. A good 1911 will come with that and more. An example would a be Springfield loaded. The loaded is an excellent 1911 for the money and you will not be disappointed.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Let me just chime in here and agree with everybody (an easy task!). You should probably aim to spend around $800 for a 1911. These guns just cost more to make. The Springfield Loaded, which is around that range, is a very good choice. It is better made than the Taurus or RIA guns. You can tell how everything fits together more nicely.

The .45 ACP is a good round. But I've always wanted to shoot a 9mm 1911. I know, I know, it's an abomination and all that, but apparently it's got very little recoil. If it works, why not?

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I see you're not interested in a 1911 chambered in 9mm however..
    I have a RIA 1911 chambered in 9mm. It was the first gun I bought myself back in February after signing up here for advice.
    Since then I've got about 1000 rounds through it and have had only 1 malfunction.
    A failure to fire on one of my uncle's ancient 9mm ammo with Arabic writing on the box. It fired on the second try after a short rest to see if it was a slow burn.
    Other than that it has worked flawlessly.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    To be honest, I kinda want a .45, just to feel the raw power. And if a RIA works reliably, I don't see any need for anything fancier. I'm sure $800 can get me a slick gun, and $500 will be cutting some corners, but I cannot stomach spending $800 on a pistol. I can buy a new rifle for that much. I guess I could always sell one of my Colt 6920's to pay for it, but meh, that doesn't sound appetizing.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The .45 ACP is a good round. But I've always wanted to shoot a 9mm 1911. I know, I know, it's an abomination and all that, but apparently it's got very little recoil. If it works, why not?

I love my RIA in 9mm. Little recoil is right, I don't think I've shot my Sig since I picked up my RIA in Jan.

To be honest, I kinda want a .45, just to feel the raw power. And if a RIA works reliably, I don't see any need for anything fancier. I'm sure $800 can get me a slick gun, and $500 will be cutting some corners, but I cannot stomach spending $800 on a pistol. I can buy a new rifle for that much. I guess I could always sell one of my Colt 6920's to pay for it, but meh, that doesn't sound appetizing.

About the only corners I've seen cut on either of my RIA's is the finish is "light" and what I mean is -it's a parkerized finish but, it seems not as deep or durable as my other firearms that are parkerized . I have the Tactical model in both 9mm and .45. I don't regret buying either. RIA has a lifetime warrenty also. Check out 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin go to the RIA section and look at what everyone is saying.

bluzfan66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Switzerland Co, IN
    I will probably catch some flak here. Everyone has their own opinions and that's OK. I have a Taurus PT1911 .45. I also didn't want to spend a lot for my 1st handgun. I will tell you, I love it. It feels really good in my hand, its well balanced, no misfires (and I've put a lot of rounds through it). I paid $595 tax included and the only thing I did with it was put on some nice custom wood grips. As of right now, I don't ever see getting rid of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can post up your ammo if you price it fairly and it should go pretty quickly with so many want 9mm right now.

I am no fan of the RIA as I have stated many times.

That said, a friend of mine has one that he fed some parts and it runs pretty well. Fairly straight shooter and no issues over an entire range outing and he beat it pretty good.

You will be rolling the dice on getting a good one. Take someone with you that knows the platform and what to look for.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    rock island armory is rock solid. outstanding customer service. I have 2 with no issues. bradis in Camby has several. the 2011 tactical I think is 609 I have it and love it. just picked up the duo tone last week.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As for the "raw power" issue, if you've never fired a steel frame pistol before, you'll be stunned at how smooth it feels. That snappy polymer pop isn't there, so "raw power" is a misconception. Don't be afraid to buy used. You'll get more for your money buying used in the $600-$800 range. As for myself, I stumbled onto a Kimber first edition Custom Target, adjustable rear sight, for just north of your current price range. The only issue I've ever had with mine was when trying to use a Colt mag, and other than that, it's a dream to shoot.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Okay, I've acquired some 45acp ammo, components, and dies. Those bullets are fatties. That's what I'm talking about! That's some Chuck Norris kinda power. :chuck:

I've never shot anything "big bore" before, besides shotguns, and I never had any desire to. I think that shooting my 1300fps air rifle, which is only .177, has made me appreciate the more extreme spectrum of projectile size. In other words, I have about the smallest projectile, and it would be cool to also shoot one of the largest projectiles. I used to hate bullet drop but now I embrace it as part of the sport of shooting.

Anyways, I'm definitely set on a cheaper 1911, like RIA. I will consider something of a little more value, like a Ruger or Springfield, but the thing is that I'll have to barter for a used one no matter what. I could go buy a RIA new for $400, but then my wife would detect the purchase, so I need to be more...discrete. :whistle:I am thinking the Commander or Officer/Compact sizes might be best, so I can carry it every now and then just to make 9mm people feel inferior hehe.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    What would I do without INGO? In just one week I have acquired 500 rounds of factory ammo, dies, component bullets, and a Para Expert 1911--all through trading, without spending a dime. And, I get great advice! Now you see why I am a site supporter, and why I donate extra to INGO?

Of course, the gun isn't new, and will require some work, but I like projects. I fancy myself as an amateur gunsmith. That is the best way to learn I think--by necessity. So the first thing I have to do is strip paint, inside and out. Removing the paint will be a pain, but requires total disassembly, which will make me learn.

Last edited:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So the first thing I have to do is strip paint, inside and out. Removing the paint will be a pain, but requires total disassembly, which will make me learn.
    If it's paint-on-steel, electrolysis will strip that paint in very short order. If you never used electrolysis before to clean metal, do your research first!! It's easy, relatively inexpensive, but don't go into it ill-prepared or uneducated about the process and the science.

Top Bottom