• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tronix3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I acctually like the spikes config. I agree tat there are others out there, but the free float has always been close to my heart. As fa as length the 10 or longer is a good call for suppressor I like COLTS new 11.5 monolithic!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Project Iron Widow has now been officially christened!!

During today's outing with my training group I took the opportunity to run about 100 rounds through it. It ran like a top! The PT2L in the VTAC mount keeps coming loose. I realize the thinner portion of the light body doesn't want to hold as well. Maybe its time to suck it up and go MiniScount. I dunno.

d02bf0a9.jpg

ab4cc6fc.jpg

0730192f.jpg

217dee82.jpg

64b2356a.jpg

Here are the first shots:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisdVa-mYz0[/ame]

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I destroyed my VTAC mount trying to get it to securely grip a PolyTac on a Saiga 12... if you overtighten it it will sever the corner of the ring completely off. :xmad: I've been using scope rings, which works quite well, till last night when I finally "bought once, cried once" in the world of weapon lights. This should be on my not-so-soon-to-be-SBR by the end of the week: Impact Weapons Components

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    :rockwoot:

Congrats on getting her broken in! I'm very impressed on the comp...no muzzle rise at all, but a lot of smoke in all directions. Might have to invest...

After waiting so long, I'm surprised it didn't go off as soon as you touched it, and it was also good to see there wasn't any premature ejections, or failure to fire on the follow up shots. ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Congrats on getting her broken in! I'm very impressed on the comp...no muzzle rise at all, but a lot of smoke in all directions. Might have to invest...

The comp was louder yesterday that I had remembered. In fact, after going back up to the house later in the afternoon lovemywoods wanted to shoot a few rounds off the back porch with it. I was downstairs at the time with the widow open. HOLY COW was it loud! You forget how much earpro helps.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    The comp was louder yesterday that I had remembered. In fact, after going back up to the house later in the afternoon lovemywoods wanted to shoot a few rounds off the back porch with it. I was downstairs at the time with the widow open. HOLY COW was it loud! You forget how much earpro helps.

Ask your dad what it's like sitting next to a 10.5" with a BC, trying to help sight it in. :D

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think thats just more of an incentive to get that GT halo you've been thinking about.:stickpoke::D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I'm having a weaponlight conundrum.

I originally went with the Streamlight PT1L in VTAC mount because it was a small and lightweight package-- perfect for an SBR. But due to the position of the light (just behind the muzzle), the lens would quickly become fouled with carbon.

3ea77623.jpg

So I switched out the PT1L for its longer brother, the PT2L. This put the lens forward of the muzzle, which solved the lens fouling problem, but due to the longer length of the PT2L, it won't seat properly in the VTAC mount, and it shakes loose under recoil. :xmad:

64b2356a.jpg

A fellow INGOer has a Surefire L2 for sale and he let me try it out in my VTAC mount. It fits nicely, the lens is in front of the muzzle, and its lighter weight than it looks. However, it sits further back on the rail than I like, and the large protruding tailswitch appears prone to accidental activation. It also doesn't have a clicky tailcap, which I actually prefer for this application.

2gsnb4z.jpg

5xt0y.jpg

2vkdzk8.jpg

34so7lh.jpg

10dgsxy.jpg

After switching to a Surefire as my EDC handheld light, I've been more inclined to pony up the bucks for the superior product. I think a Scout would be perfect, but they seem REALLY pricey.

mvician reminded me of the VTAC L4 by Surefire. It was actually designed to pair with the VTAC mount that I already have. Its essentially a Scout without the built-in mount. Still fairly pricey at $175.

Viking Tactics, Inc.

My other option is to stick with the PT2L for now, and simply upgrade my mount. I could possibly try a Gear Sector mount or one from IWC/HSP. I believe these offer single-ring mounts, so I wouldn't have to worry about the light fitting lopsided. Only problem there is I'd have to find the right ring size. A phone call could probably remedy that.

Oh decisions decisions. . . . .

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I've been going through the same conundrum. It's tough making expensive decisions. At least you have the rifle to put the lights on so that you know right away whether you like it or not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can the current light be shimmed or otherwise made to be more solid in the mounting?

Perhaps. But probably not in such a manner that I'd be happy with. It has to do with the slight diameter changes in the light body. The middle section is slimmer than the ends.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Are you just wanting to keep the lens from being fouled while shooting at the range?

Vaseline ;)

Coat it with a light coat of Vaseline at the range and then wipe it off when done.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    This is the HSP Thorntail for SBR's: Haley Strategic Partners, LLC., I wasn't aware of the SBR version till I went shopping for a new mount. It also shows what lights work with which of their rings.

The link I previously sent you was for the Dropwing/Scout 600 package, and it should be here tomorrow... I'll post some pics of the package when it arrives.

I went with the standard Dropwing over the SBR Thorntail for two reasons; 1. the Dropwing will keep my Troy Extreme rail nice and smooth, and 2. it will put the light farther forward than an Thorntail SBR. #1 doesn't apply to your situation, but #2 is still something for you to decide. The above link has pics of all the versions for you to peruse. I really don't see the benefit of the Thorntail SBR on an SBR, I think it would be more appropriate on something with lots of rail estate.

I tried shimming my VTAC mount and PolyTac with guitar picks, sandpaper, and sandpaper glued to guitar picks... none would hold the polytac securely in the VTAC when mounted on a Saiga 12. I never had a problem with the VTAC on an AR, but I destroyed it trying to make it work on a Saiga... kind of soured me on the VTAC.

Top Bottom