• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    A suggestion concerning the light. If you shoot right handed consider putting the light on the right side of the gun.
    If someone is shooting back at you are they aiming the light? My guess is yes. By putting the light on the right side, I believe you reduce the chance of a center body mass hit, liver, spleen, heart and one lung.
    I pray I never prove my theory.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A suggestion concerning the light. If you shoot right handed consider putting the light on the right side of the gun.
    If someone is shooting back at you are they aiming the light? My guess is yes. By putting the light on the right side, I believe you reduce the chance of a center body mass hit, liver, spleen, heart and one lung.
    I will not answer for Cory but I have SOME experience with FOF training. During my structure clearing class, we would enter a dark room with our weapon lights on, there was a badguy with a sim gun in the room waiting to shoot us. Even though the BG knew we were about to enter the dark room, the lights were so distracting that they were not able to see us or get a round off before we were able to engage them. I doubt anyone will be able to tell from what side of the shotgun the light is coming from or that there is a shotgun even attached to the light that is blinding them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

The light is activated by a button on the rear cap. I can press the button with my left thumb when shooting right handed. If I move it to the right side of the shotgun I won't be able to press the button effectively.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I see your point. Flash, bang and boom, it's over in 2.5 seconds.
    One of my goals for 2016 is training at Gunsite. There are many nuances of gun fighting I do not know.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Put another five rounds of the LE133 downrange this morning. Patterns measured 7.25", 10", 7.25", 15.5" & 12.5". I'd prefer a little more consistency but it's difficult to complain about a 10.5" average from a 12" barrel at 25yds.

I believe this light setup is a keeper. No issues shooting it without activating the light or beating up my hand.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Put another five rounds of the LE133 downrange this morning. Patterns measured 7.25", 10", 7.25", 15.5" & 12.5". I'd prefer a little more consistency but it's difficult to complain about a 10.5" average from a 12" barrel at 25yds.
    This is INGO. We'll find a way. :)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Invest in a better choke tube. I am saying this without even knowing what you have now but I am guessing you have a Remington OEM tube.

While the gun did great, after shooting more rounds and other ammo, I would want to cut the variation in spread down. This would be more in the interest of technical shotgunning but performance through all distances under 25 yards would benefit. I would first have the bore diameter measured before selecting my choke. OEM tubes can be off by one entire choke. So it may say IC but you might really have Cyl or Mod going. If your bore is a bit tighter then average and your tube a bit wider, bingo you are running Cyl.

http://angleport.com/chokes.asp?C=574200

I have Remington tubes from 20 years ago that were off by one full choke size. I expect the same or worse these days.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Invest in a better choke tube. I am saying this without even knowing what you have now but I am guessing you have a Remington OEM tube.

While the gun did great, after shooting more rounds and other ammo, I would want to cut the variation in spread down. This would be more in the interest of technical shotgunning but performance through all distances under 25 yards would benefit. I would first have the bore diameter measured before selecting my choke. OEM tubes can be off by one entire choke. So it may say IC but you might really have Cyl or Mod going. If your bore is a bit tighter then average and your tube a bit wider, bingo you are running Cyl.

Angle Porting by Ballistic Specialties - Chokes

I have Remington tubes from 20 years ago that were off by one full choke size. I expect the same or worse these days.

You are correct. I bought a factory Remington choke at Cabelas just so I could shoot it. I planned to do a bit of research and buy something better down the road.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Unity Tactical. I had to cut a wrench down super short to get it installed but it works great.

M-LOK Compatible FUSION Adapter - Unity Tactical

Thanks! I may look into that if my Laser Technologies forend ever craps out. Over a decade and still going strong, new Malkoff head was a nice upgrade.

The Scout light certainly looks cleaner than the new Surefire forends. . .

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Get the bore measured and when you do, also have your current choke measured. That will tell you more now then anything else. You will have a baseline to decide if choke will help or if it is just a matter of load selection. You may not improve over your current results but you will know exactly what to expect.

I would add that once you know bore and choke diameters to your gun, certain brands of chokes will affect your pattern density. Not a huge issue with buck inside 25 yards, but if you want to use the gun for more things like hunting, it will help to know.

I need to build my SBS but I got sidetracked with a SxS project. Problem with the SBS is I need two or three to be happy and can't decide which to do first.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think the only hunting this one is likely to see is close range coyote work in the summer when we're out checking cameras and working on stand sets.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Perfect example though, because #4 buck out to 40-50 yards can be lethal with mod or full.

For me the SBS will be for ATV/UTV/Tractor/boat use and camp. So I want to be able to slam a coyote, goose or grouse with it. No different from any other shotgun, just different POI. I was curious how your current set up does in terms of POA vs POI.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Perfect example though, because #4 buck out to 40-50 yards can be lethal with mod or full.

For me the SBS will be for ATV/UTV/Tractor/boat use and camp. So I want to be able to slam a coyote, goose or grouse with it. No different from any other shotgun, just different POI. I was curious how your current set up does in terms of POA vs POI.

The rifle sights are adjustable so I've got it set POA/POI at 25 yards.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom