• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    Longbow I'm not sure what it take s to join but I'd like to. Or at least get to know fellow members close to me. I'm in MSG3, because of work schedual Wen/any evening is out for me.

Would anyone like to meet/greet on wknd or earlier in the day? If so PM me.

I hope this post is ok with you longbow? You are the coordinator and I'm not sure about your rules and bouderies.

Foxfire

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not aware of anything that was ever setup for a MSG 1, at least around Fort Wayne. I know there were some guys talking on the west side of MSG1.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We actually had a 'sort of' MSG1 meeting back in Sept but did not meet in Oct. It was actually more Ft Wayne specific. If I ever get notice of another meeting I will post it.

How was it? I'd be curious what all went on and what you thought of it.

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    How was it? I'd be curious what all went on and what you thought of it.

ditto to that. What are we going over?

I guess this is my question to you fellow 'preppers' out there:

How do you find your TEOTWAWKI groups without looking like a complete nut. I have friends, and i have those that i drink with. I have friends that are 'tuff' in their own mind and have no idea what it means to prepare for no grocery stores or no more Gander Mountains to buy their 'unique' ammo at. How do you guys find people in the 'survival' mindset to form groups?

Just a prepper lookin to find another prepper... how did you all find fellow preppers is what it all boils down too?

M

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    ditto to that. What are we going over?

I guess this is my question to you fellow 'preppers' out there:

How do you find your TEOTWAWKI groups without looking like a complete nut. I have friends, and i have those that i drink with. I have friends that are 'tuff' in their own mind and have no idea what it means to prepare for no grocery stores or no more Gander Mountains to buy their 'unique' ammo at. How do you guys find people in the 'survival' mindset to form groups?

Just a prepper lookin to find another prepper... how did you all find fellow preppers is what it all boils down too?

M

One I met at work, the rest I met when they showed up at our MSG2 meetings.

I really cant say enough about the MSG concept. Meeting like minded people is hard to do, but most who post in this section of INGO are pretty like minded. We may have our disagreements about things, but being prepared comes first for many of us.

If you set a date, and a place, like minded people will show up.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Hey I got a question Keith, I might as well ask it here to get as many perspectives as possible.

As a prepper, and hearing about these MSGs, I think to myself "Huh, might be fun to talk to some guys" and then I think....the whole point of prepping is to provide security to my family, and going and jawboning with a bunch of guys from the internet........... dunno.

Has any MSG ever had a shady charecter show up for a meeting or two, and then wish they hadnt been so open about their preps?

I am interested, yet... the downside could be bigger than the upside.

Any help to calm my wary brain? :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Hey I got a question Keith, I might as well ask it here to get as many perspectives as possible.

As a prepper, and hearing about these MSGs, I think to myself "Huh, might be fun to talk to some guys" and then I think....the whole point of prepping is to provide security to my family, and going and jawboning with a bunch of guys from the internet........... dunno.

Has any MSG ever had a shady charecter show up for a meeting or two, and then wish they hadnt been so open about their preps?

I am interested, yet... the downside could be bigger than the upside.

Any help to calm my wary brain? :)

thats why i say keep it selective and not invite everyone. I try to share info, but i have never layed out my preps and locations, fully to a group nor will i ever

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    thats why i say keep it selective and not invite everyone. I try to share info, but i have never layed out my preps and locations, fully to a group nor will i ever

Yup. exactly.

I have almost everything I need already, I have nothing to gain, and EVERYTHING to lose.

My MSG are members of my family and CLOSE friends.... if I showed up to some INGO meeting and started talking about what a sweet setup I got...

And some guy named "ROADWARRIOR58" decides to show up with a rifle and a pickup truck.....

I dont see myself attending one of these. Frankly its just too risky.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, how do you meet new people if you don't already have a big enough group?

The purpose of the meetings at my place is to provide a place to network, and learn skills. It's up to individuals to get to know one another, and build trusted relationships. People know where I live, but don't know what prep's I have, where they are, and what alternate locations I have set up.

I would never share extensive personal information on the internet, or people I don't know, and don't yet trust. And I wouldn't suggest anyone else do that either. And it's up to the individual how much information they share.

As far as the meetings at my place, no, nobody I'd consider shady has showed up and caused me to question them.

If the SHTF, and someone I barely know shows up, they'll have a few options.

1 - If they've brought supplies, and skills, they may be allowed to stay.
    2 - They may get a small care package of water, rice and beans, then told to head somewhere else, like the FEMA camp in Beech Grove.
    3 - They can get off my land, or deal with the rest of the group who I trust to watch my back.
    4 - If those options don't work, there's a 2 pig farms within a mile of me, and I'm sure the piggies will be hungry.

And you've got to realize, there are plenty of situations that don't involve the collapse of society, where some extra hands/eyes would be useful. Like a tornado blowing your house down, or a fire burning it down. I've got some help from family, but could use some extra eyes for security during the day, since in those cases, I'd still need to show up for work.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It is a fine line between a friend you trust with your immediate family and their security and a "friend" you trust hanging out with on the weekend. Over the last few years I have progressed to distance myself from people more so that I am not even a thought or concern if something ever occurs. It sounds odd but I look at it as a means of security where only a few people will have you cross their mind if an event ever occurs. As of now I live in a populated family style neighborhood where there is not a lot of diversity BUT I do know at least 4 houses of people since I was a young child and not just occasional "hello" neighbors.

That being said...there are other people that may be a good idea to network with and learn from. I personally have met a few people at an MSG meet up that have provided me some great information and have proven to me that there are some trustworthy people out there that you may not see everyday. Good luck with your prepping and meeting new people!

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I have often wondered how to branch out to people if wanting to vette for new "friends of mutual interest"! This seems like a good idea, most people are socially adept enough not to put themselves or any one else in a hot seat! I would be interested!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom