• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm glad that you are ok first off. If a shop sells reloads of there own making they are responsible for any defective rounds. Yours looks like it might have been a double charge. If they sell another companies reloads that company should be responsible. You just can't sell reloads without some sort of strict quality control. Reloads are just little grenades waiting to blow your nice gun up! I never shoot reloads, the risk of damage to my expensive weapons or injury to myself or others far outweigh the possibility of saving a few bucks by buying reloads. The cost of a surplus Mauser would go a long way to reestablish customer confidence by the shop and show that they are concerned with customer safety. I think replacing the rifle would be cheaper than trying to repair what you have if you were to go that route. Plus there might be other parts damaged that you don't know about yet. I wish you luck.

For those Garand shooters on here I found out from a couple of INGO members that modern 30.06 ammo is to hot to use in our rifles. Always use ammo that is equal to Mil Spec M2 Ball or equivelant.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I have never nor will I ever buy reloads.
    THat being said if I were to have a gunshop and this sort of thing happenned, I would probably consider replacing your mauser and then get OUT of the reload sales business. Instead I would invest in factory ammo, reloading supplies and maybe even classes on reloading for starters. I for one would pay $25 to $50 for a detailed class on getting started relaoding.
    I already have a Lee pro 1000 set up for 9mm and have never been able to shoot a single round from it because I can't seem to get the plates lined up properly and stay that way. I worked for three evenings on the powder charge and I think I have it consistant now but the plates wont seem to stay syncronized. :dunno:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    It seems to me that this same guy had a tiny gun shop wayyy out on West US40 near a welding shop. I think this guy then had a reloading supply store right next to the Plainfield Galyan's. And lasty...... if I recall correctly this is Bob Cheek's (of PSS) wife's ex husband. Anybody remember any of this or am I just senile??? :dunno:
    :cheers:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    At the first glance, of the title of this thread, I thought it would be about someone shooting a cat. Glad you are ok. Sorry about the Mauser. Not being from the Martinsville area, I have never shopped at "Scroggins." And after reading about you're experience with them I will definetly make a point not to.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I already have a Lee pro 1000 set up for 9mm and have never been able to shoot a single round from it because I can't seem to get the plates lined up properly and stay that way. I worked for three evenings on the powder charge and I think I have it consistant now but the plates wont seem to stay syncronized. :dunno:

There is an adjustment screw directly under the finished round exit shoot, take a phillips screwdriver and advance the shell plate until the positions are aligned properly.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It seems to me that this same guy had a tiny gun shop wayyy out on West US40 near a welding shop. I think this guy then had a reloading supply store right next to the Plainfield Galyan's. And lasty...... if I recall correctly this is Bob Cheek's (of PSS) wife's ex husband. Anybody remember any of this or am I just senile??? :dunno:
    :cheers:

I think you are correct, but not sure about Jeannie's ex husband. I know years ago there were some questions about his reputation and business practices. I'm like you though and can't clearly remember all the details.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    "Scrotums" as we used to call it back in the nineties was known as a good source for hard to find type bullets BUT a crappy and dangerous reloader. Boycott them. I haven't been there in at least a decade.

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    My experience...

was with a bag of their .223 fmj, that was so long it touched the rifling in a Winchester 70 Ranger.

I took it back and was not offered a refund,but exchanged the ammo, with the explanation being that I must have had a rifle "made on a Friday..." (short chambered)

This was early '90's

I avoid them now...

Last edited:

strut70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    columbus
    I have made it a habbit to never shoot anyone elses reloads...especially in a rifle or semi auto handgun.......maybe in a revolver if i know the person that reloaded them and trusted there loading skills... I would definatly tell the folks that sold them to you about it though.......

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Scroggins eh? I live in Martinsville. I can assure you that my husband and I will not be doing business there after reading all of this. I'll be passing this along to our friends as well. Thanks for the info. Wish I could offer more than moral support. Best of luck to you in your case. Let us know how it goes wouldja?

Might I also suggest filing a complaint with the BBB? At the very least there will be a complaint on file for the public to see and who knows, maybe they'll make it right.

I agree.

I wouldn't necessarily boycott them just on the kB - stuff happens. But their response to the kB - basically making up various implausible scenarios to absolve themselves of responsibility - tells me these are folks not to do business with.

BBB is one good thought.

Perhaps a post on INGO's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly would be in order. That way it will be most accessible to anyone who is trying to find info about doing business with these people.

I have never nor will I ever buy reloads.

I have had great results with Georgia-arms.com ammo. They're a pretty serious and well-established operation, though; not a hole in the wall that makes reloads.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I made the mistake of shooting Gun-Show reloads in my .308 when I was breaking it in before doing load development, nothing happened, however.... I am a small bit wiser these days....Sorry to hear.

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Some of these things were already stated but bear repeating:

1. Never shoot reloads.
    2. Never shoot anything other than mil surp ammo in your garand. (its cheaper anyway)
    3. You would have a hell of a liability claim on your hands had you been seriously injured and you or your family would have easily been able to file a lawsuit. The only issue you would face is that shooting a reloaded bullet comes with some inherent danger and any prudent person would know that by pulling that trigger they are taking a chance that something may go wrong. Be prepared to face an argument similar to this should you decide to pursue it. That being said any medical injuries you sustained appear to have been minor at best and most dwelling/business insurance policies have a section that would cover those costs, regardless of fault, up to a set limit(usually around 3-5K). The other part would be a bodily injury type claim due to their negligence which caused you pain and suffering. This would be hard to prove as you have stated that you were not really injured in this accident. The bright side is that most insurance companies will want you to sign a release to get rid of this claim as they do not like any open exposures and they will pay you a couple hundred to do so...which can then be used to buy a new mauser!!! :draw:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    1. Never shoot reloads.

That's going to be a controversial statement on this board. Lots of serious shooters are also serious reloaders. Just about anyone who is in to any kind competition shooting makes their own ammo. A blanket statement of "never shoot reloads" covers an awful lot of legitimate shooting activity.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    On my way to the range today stopped by my local gun shop and picked up some ammo ( 7mmx57 ) all they had were some reloads that I have bought before with no issues ! Anyway go to the range for some fun . Set target up put 2 rounds down range and on the 3rd one KAAA-BOOOOM !

FYI: I walked into MCSports today and heard people talking about a certain shop and certain reloads. Your story came up without me even saying anything first.

In other words, your Mauser is famous and the word did get out!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I will never spend one cent there. That is just **** poor business. The firearms industry has always been a model for customer service IMO. Myself? I would be calling my attorney. You have the evidence with the remaining rounds. Pull them and check their consistency. I am no expert But by looking at the fired/exploded case,I would bet a $100.00 bill that that was case head separation. And you can bet your a-- that will blow the crap out of a weapon! Sue them. Need a good lawyer PM me. We don't need people like that shop in the firearms business.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have a select few people that I will shoot their reloads If I haven't know you for a long time your reloads wont go in my guns and I'll probably not shoot them in your guns either.

2. Never shoot anything other than mil surp ammo in your garand. (its cheaper anyway)

I have to disagree with this statement tho, If you do your homework using the correct bullet weight and powder of the correct burn rate there isn't a problem shooting reloads out of a Garand.
    I've reloaded for my Garand for over 20 years without a single issue.
    Kenny

Top Bottom