• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Well first the shop owner said something must have been in the barrel . Told him no way 2 shots down range 2 holes in target . Then he said I must have left some oil and or grease in the barrel last cleaning . Told him no way always run a dry patch through bore till patch comes out clea and dry . Then he said firing pin was to sharp poped primer . I removed bolt to show him that was not the problem . Thats when he went into the back room and sent his son out . Anyways some words were throw around and I left . Here Zephri if you want more let me know .
    0804082201.jpg

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Sorry to bring up a old post but am looking at repairing this rifle and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy parts ? Need new stock and bolt for a 1895 Chileno Mauser . Thanks in advance !

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sorry to bring up a old post but am looking at repairing this rifle and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy parts ? Need new stock and bolt for a 1895 Chileno Mauser . Thanks in advance !

I suggest maybe having a gunsmith check out what's still usable and make sure everything is in spec.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Me thinks a lawyer would be consulted on this liability issue
    I'm not big on that action BUT that is one bad thing!! could have been worse
    I can Guarantee that if Doctors services had been rendered your Insurance company would be all over him like stink on U know what

Farmritch

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Had same problem from Scroggins

I recently purchased a newish Springfield Armory M1 Garand. I purchased some 30.06 reloads from Scroggins and had my rifle blown to bits on the first shot. I sent the rifle back to SA and they confirmed that it was the reload. I have now filed in small claims court and I would like to hear from anyone with similar issues that would be willing to write a letter stating their problems with Scroggins Gun Shop, or that could be a credible witness.
    Thanks,
    AG

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    More thoughts...

K,
    I re-read all of your posts and looked at your pictures. Your fired case looks identical to mine.

I am curious if the rifle's bolt face is still intact. On my M1 the excessive pressures sheered the bolt face away and blew out the back of the case.

With all of the gases going into the magazine the stock exploded, looking just like yours. You are very lucky the bolt lugs held otherwise you might have had it go through your skull!

I wonder what it would cost to have the gun and reload investigated. It should be very easy for an expert to tell what caused the accident and if it is worth it, file in small claims court. You can get replacement costs, any medical bills, and pain and suffering, if I read the SCC manual right. See:http://in.gov/judiciary/pubs/handbooks/small-claims-manual(2005).pdf

PM me as I would like you to be a witness in my case, or at the least write up the accident and their reaction. I also have more info pertaining to your case.
    Thanks,
    AG

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Scroggins eh? I live in Martinsville. I can assure you that my husband and I will not be doing business there after reading all of this. I'll be passing this along to our friends as well. Thanks for the info. Wish I could offer more than moral support. Best of luck to you in your case. Let us know how it goes wouldja?

Might I also suggest filing a complaint with the BBB? At the very least there will be a complaint on file for the public to see and who knows, maybe they'll make it right.

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    First you need to check for pressure signs on the cases that did not blow. This can be an expanded case head, a crated primer, a buldged web, a pierced primer, or a flattened primer. Also look for a restriction at the mouth (case too long).

Second look for damage in the barrel. Perhaps foreign material entered teh bore from the previously fired case.

Third, look at the metal surface of the broken parts. A KB will cause a clean break surface. It will not show signs of repeating pressure cycles. A wavy, fanned pattern in the metal will indicate a metal fatigue failure.

Fourth, pull some of the rounds from the remaining lot. See if you can identify the propellant and determine if the load was too hot.

Fifth, it is illegal to sell reloaded ammunition without a proper license and being fully bonded, for just this reason. They need to understand that the BATFE takes this very seriously. I imagine they do not have the 1,000,000 dollar insurance policy necessary to reload ammo for resale.

Don't shoot reloads from other people. I have seen far more hot loads that mild.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    a certain reloading store in martinsville seems to have no quality control anymore I witnessed a very loud boom in a 223 that swelled up in the chamber requiring pounding to extract it. 2 old guys use to run it now maybe a careless son runs the reloader?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I have to agree with jennybird, I won't be doing any future business at Scroggins. I reload for myself and a few very close friends, and if this happened, I would be compelled to replace the firearm. Though I am not in business, I would know it was my mistake, and I have made the mistake of a doublecharge. Luckily, it was my own pistol that blew apart.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I'm not a lawyer, however Business Law is pretty big here at ND. IF this were a hypothetical case that happened to me:

I think there is strict liability when dealing with reloading ammunition. The 4 things that are required to prove negligence:

1. The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff
    2. The defendant breached that duty.
    3. The plaintiff suffered a legally recognizable injury.
    4. The defendant’s breach caused the plaintiff’s injury

These 4 are definately all met in my estimation of this situation. I understand you may not be a go to court type person, most normal American's aren't. BUT, a good letter from a reputable attorney in your area will go really far with them as far as compensation at least for your gun, if not more.
    It's at least worth it to see what they do.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Even if you aren't a go to court type of guy, who knows, if you go to court and get these guys shut down, you may prevent a fatality in the future. I hate legal lotto players to the core but in this case, I see it differently so long as you aren't trying to win a retirement home in Cabo. I reload and have had people ask me to reload for them. I always make excuses not to. Sad thing is my ammo fort will be worthless when I kick the bucket. I've explained to my wife that it can't be sold for liability reasons.

I can't see case failure causing a gun to blow. The steel in your bolt and receiver is much stronger than a brass case. When a primer ignites and the powder charge is lit, that pressure has to go somewhere and it will always be the path of least resistance. Hopefully, that will be right behind the bullet as it leaves the barrel. In order for the brass and receiver to blow up, the pressure would have to be so high and spike so fast that the metal failed before the bullet could leave the barrel.

Are they the same outfit that has had several tables of reloads at the 1500 for years?

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I was headed to the MSCC yesterday to adjust the sights on my .22. I thought, hey, if there's a gun shop nearby, I'll buy some .40 and put a few rounds through my Glock. I stopped at Scroggins, and all they had was reloads. As I left the store with a couple bags, I had this nagging feeling. I did a quick search on INGO, and found this thread. I had read it before, but for some reason I couldn't remember until after I bought the ammo. I wish the nagging feeling had hit me before I wasted my $25, but better late than never. I'll just mark these "Don't use", and save them for when I start reloading.

Thanks for the warning. I'll stay away from other people's reloads (especially Scroggins').

Top Bottom