• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    As I pick up a few more items here and there, I'm wondering, what is the gun that you had the highest expectation for, but for you personally, it was a huge disappointment? I am just curious because it could save me hundreds of dollars to just hear about someone else's experience. I know everyone is different and you just have to "feel" the weapon so this is just a general discussion and not a solicitation for flaming of personal gear.

appreciate the input

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My puma lever action.... never matched my 45 colt revolver, and shot a deer with it and didnt knock it down (didnt penetrate shoulder blade).... great gun, but was impractical to my arsenal

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bought a Wilson Combat ADP based on their reputation. Although the ADP was not their design, I figured they would not sell a bad pistol. WRONG! Mine fired less than one mag, then quit. The trigger would not engage the striker. Luckily (I thought) I was using the range behind my dealer's home. They replaced it with it's twin, one serial number later. It ran through one full mag, we smiled, and then on the second mag, it would only fire about every other attempt.

Both went back to Wilson, who was really nice about the issue (read great customer service). They returned the pistol, supposedly fixed. Again taken out behind my dealer's place, it fired one complete mag, then again failed to reset the striker on recoil, or after racking the slide manually.

Back it went, and again their customer service was great, but when it returned, I was really afraid to shoot it. I have since run a few mags through it, and although I have not had any issues other than ergonomics, I would not trust my life to it, and would never sell it for fear of selling a firearm that could be nothing more than a nice paper weight.

The ergo issue surrounds the design of the rear of the frame. It is pretty flat above the back strap as that is where the take down pins are, but it is so flat that it digs into my thumb on firing. Gloves are a must for me to fire this otherwise pretty nice pistol. Just can't trust it.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Walther PPKS .380 ACP. Although it is a nice gun and somewhat fun to shoot, I was expecting something more ( or may Moore as in Roger). It was a little rough on the hand and had some problems that S & W had to rework. Not as accurate as I expected either. I still have it but only take it out to the range a couple times a year.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Romanian PSL. I knew it wasn't all that accurate, but after a few months, I realized that it is a turd. The scope never held zero, barrel heats up in no time. Only pros going for it was cheap ammo. I bought cases of the fabled 7N1 ammo that supposedly shot decent in it...I was wrong about that too.

I bought it to plink with, and have fun. All it did was stress me out trying to keep it on zero after every range trip.

One of my buddies bought the same thing and sent it packing because of the same reasons. So either we got the turds of the batch or it just wasn't for me.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ruger Mk III 22/45. The gun was actually really nice and extremely accurate, but after shooting it a few times, it just wasn't for me. I bought it around the time I picked up my suppressor, though, which may have contributed. My P22 is my favorite plinking pistol now.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Ruger Mk III 22/45. The gun was actually really nice and extremely accurate, but after shooting it a few times, it just wasn't for me. I bought it around the time I picked up my suppressor, though, which may have contributed. My P22 is my favorite plinking pistol now.

Not to mention to total pain in the A to disassemble, clean, and put back together...

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ruger Sp101 2" 357mag, It was a good gun but the trigger was gosh awful heavy and the hammer of the Ruger guns is flat and hurts the thumb after you are shooting for a while. I say disappointing just because I was expecting a gun full of awesomeness and got stuck with a gun that had the practicality factor approaching nill (for my purposes).

Then I wised up and got a S&W airlite and the rest is history. Ruger makes a super amazing pistol for hunting, but a high volume shooter or carry piece it wasn't. Give em points for extreme overbuilding and quality construction though, just wasn't the gun I was expecting.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    In stock form I totally agree with the quotes above on the PSL. What I wanted was a reliable and quasi accurate battle rifle that could use 7.62x54r. To achieve this I lopped off 7" of barrel and mounted a Hakim muzzle brake. I used an M14 mainspring to allow it to cycle properly with less recoil gasses (from the barrel reduction) I then gave it AK Hogue Grips and an AK wood stock. I put in a Redstar adjustable trigger and added a Mojo peepsight. Now I really like it. It has become the .30 caliber semi battle rifle that I wanted, and it is very reliable. That said, I was determined to make it something that I liked and that worked. Most people probably aren't as dedicated to silly notions like that as I am. I still haven't started to work on optics with it, but I have a nice centerline mount that I intend to put some commercial scope on.

That was the exact same rifle, experience, and frustration that I had.

Hot to look at but awful where & when it matters...

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Ruger Mark 3 Hunter. I put 500 rounds through it and was bored with it. Ill never own a 22lr pistol again. Sold it.

S&W 638 airweight. The gun was no fun to shoot. Put 300 rounds through it. Sold it.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    S&W 915 that I bought in 1994. Dunno what was up with that pistol, but no one could hit the broad side of a barn with it. Took it back in, sent it to Smith, and they replaced the entire top end. Still got no love from that gun. No one did. I finally sold it about a year later for $100 less than I paid for it. I think it was cursed, but it's also made S&W leave a bad taste in my mouth ever since. I'd have to put a LOT of rounds through a S&W auto before I bought it, now.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    That said, I was determined to make it something that I liked and that worked. Most people probably aren't as dedicated to silly notions like that as I am.

I was far too busy with rage to move on to any kind of "notion" other than ones involving fire and bent metal! :):

I considered some of the same mods and recently had a chance to get a PSL kit and considered doing much the same as you are did (not the spring though, that is cool), but money is as available as time, which is to say - not at all.

Had I paid less, gone in with different expectations, had more patience, etc...

So be it.

Oh, and Calvin, you cannot make those claims of modifications without posting pictures! Surely you know that... ;)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I got the world's only bum GP100. Looks amazing, shoots good, but the trigger is so bad it's not funny and it occasionally jams. When shooting, sometimes as often as every cylinder, it will bind up and no amount of trigger pull with turn it. Just nudging the cylinder will line things up and it will work normally. It needs returned but Ruger has been so backed up lately I've been afraid to send it back.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Beretta single shot 12 gauge. Beautiful cherry wood, super dark blue, Stainless receiver, roll engraved. Saved for a summer to buy it. Kicked like a mule. Fired it 5 times. I was shooting it at the Ikes and some poor fool saw it and begged to shoot it. It almost dislocated his shoulder. Got rid of it for a $100 smith and Wesson pistol. Best trade I ever made.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Oh, and Calvin, you cannot make those claims of modifications without posting pictures! Surely you know that... ;)

Sorry, I was not on my "A" game in terms of posting readiness tonight. It will never happen again.

It is a beastly "who gives a s*&!" kind of a gun, but it works and works well. I still wouldn't call it match grade, but it's plenty accurate for 200 yards. The shortened barrel seems to eliminate bending effects of heat. That last 7 inches was waaaayyy thinner than the rest. Shooting it makes me feel manlier. I tried it with the muzzle brake off for awhile. Talk about fireball!

Honestly, I'll never know why the Romanians just didn't make it this way to begin with. My personal theory is it was a "my barrel is as big as your barrel you Russian pigs" kind of thing. I doubt there is anything a stock PSL could do that mine couldn't. On the other hand, I can walk through thick woods with mine slung on my back. Try that with a stock PSL!

In summation: A PSL can be a worse scenario purchase if you expect it to be what it looks like it should be. But, if you want to make it into a bigger badder more accurate AK, that is possible with some work.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom