• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Interesting list Jack; some popular guns there, but I'm kind of in your camp. The Mossberg 500 is quite popular but the one I had would put the center of pattern 1 foot away from where I was aiming and while my daughter's 10/22 is a fun little rifle the trigger in it is definitely poor - I really need to get a replacement for it for her.

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette
    I felt that the Walther P22 was going to be super accurate. I bought this for taget shooting, not defensive capabilities. Maybe it is me, maybe it is the gun, but it doesn't hit the target very often:)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I felt that the Walther P22 was going to be super accurate. I bought this for taget shooting, not defensive capabilities. Maybe it is me, maybe it is the gun, but it doesn't hit the target very often:)

The Walther is a plinker, not really a target gun. For target shooting, you might want to check the Ruger MKIII, Browning Buckmark, or S&W 22A. All are more accurate, and all can be had for less than the Walther.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    PLR-16
    I got this gun a few years ago for the looks alone, I knew nothing about it. It jammed every other round, the trigger was aweful and I didnt realize shooting "pistol" size assault rifles isnt all that fun. It was cool to have to show people, but that was it. I ended up getting my money back for it and got a Para .45

1z1oi.jpg

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Got an H&K G3 a few years ago with the Century Arms semi-auto receiver, mounted a Swift 4-12x40AO scope on it that had been re-zero'd at the factory (it had been missing a ring on the objective end, they replaced it, zero'd it, and added a 5" sunshade for free!), and can barely hit the paper at 100 yards, and the scope is all out of adjustment (I can't remember which direction it shot now).
    Still sitting in dad's safe, going to try to remount the scope someday and see what happens, it shoots fine with the sights, so could be a scope mount issue...
    It also has horrible bolt slap forward, and mangles brass. Leaves a line indented about halfway up the shell, and about halfway around...
    Only redeeming factor is it's now selling for about double what I paid for it...

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm suprised!

I must say after reading this entire thread the wide variety of stories here. And I mustbe the only DA to own a Taurus PT 908. When I first bought it it jammmed about every other round. After careful cleaning and care each time I shoot it I can now get about 50 rnds out before it jams. And it shoot about a foot low at 20 ft. The only reason I still have it is nobody will probably buy it from me! And I do like the way it feels in my hand. I plan to send it back to Taurus and see how good their lifetme warrenty is. My most pleasant suprise was a little CZ 70 in .32 acp paid less than $100 and have abused the hell out of it, and the thing is still one of the most accurate pistols at 25yrds I've ever shot. And while I am aware of the legendary stopping power of the .32acp :laugh:. It is still one of my favorite carry guns.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We use the P22 for training and it is very accurate and reliable. It's a little picky about ammo, but most .22lr pistols are. At 20 feet they easily shoot a quarter-sized group. Did you buy it new or used? Have you bench shot it yet?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    The most disappointing gun in my circumstances was one I couldn't afford!:D
    Seriously though, the only real gripe I have ever had was with the Kel-tec P3AT!
    I just couldn't get it to do nothing, jammed all the time!

I even bought the P32-after the fact and it functioned flawlessly! I guess the P3AT, was just a lemon-and I didn't have the patience for it!

I also was pissed when I purchased a Kimber, out of the box the sights were off, hell the local smith couldnt loosen the sight to adjust it-had to be sent back to Kimber, what a crock of (censored)!

You figure you spend that much $$$$$$$ on a nice firearm and to have those kind of issues-what a headache!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I must say after reading this entire thread the wide variety of stories here. And I mustbe the only DA to own a Taurus PT 908. When I first bought it it jammmed about every other round. After careful cleaning and care each time I shoot it I can now get about 50 rnds out before it jams. And it shoot about a foot low at 20 ft. The only reason I still have it is nobody will probably buy it from me! And I do like the way it feels in my hand. I plan to send it back to Taurus and see how good their lifetme warrenty is.

I had a PT-908 that I bought as a range gun and loved it. Never had a jam. Had a few misfires on russian ammo (but they went off after rechambering and re-firing them). Mine shot a tad low but not low enough to justify sending it to Taurus. Sold it to a fella here on ingo to finance a S&W 915.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Smith & Wesson Sigma 9VE. It was very well made, never jammed, very comfortable in my hand, and (IMHO) looked great. The trigger was so heavy, though, that not only could I not hit anything, it wore me out to shoot it.

(Yes, I know, there are trigger modifications you can install. I have a thing about not modifying factory triggers ... it's just my hangup.)

Looked good, but just no fun.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Every Taurus I owned except one. PT140 Millenium Pro-didnt shoot straight, mag falls out, PT101- Jamomatic, M94 9 shot 22lr snub-DA trigger was terrible. Only one I really liked was the 6" .357 Revolver Model 689, wish I still had it.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    The only gun I've ever really been disappointed with is the SIG 556 SWAT. I've had a lot of crappy guns, but I've never expected much from them. I knew right from the start that the $35 J-22 was a total piece of crap and it was. I actually had some expectations for the 556 and it met only one of them. I expected a very cool looking, reliable rifle that I could reasonably hunt varmints and do run and gun and play army with.

The rifle is flawlessly reliable, I would expect it for the price I paid. I believe it to be accurate, but can't say for sure because it's a terrible rifle for shooting prone. The rifle has the griplight on it, a pistol grip trigger activated flashlight, a very cool feature. It takes two screwdrivers and about 10 minutes to remove or replace it on the rifle. All 556s have the standard gas cap/end cap of the 550, which has a hole for a pin that is intended to mount a bayonet. This is what the forward end of the quad rails use to secure them to the rifle. It also protrudes about 1/2" lower than the rail, which means you can't slide anything on to or off of the rail, the forward end is obstructed, and the rear end is about an inch from the mag well. So to attach or remove the light I have to completely remove the quad rails. Firing prone with the griplight attached is not much better than crouching or standing, and it is every bit as far below the bore axis as the end of the pistol grip itself. I have a side mounted bipod now, but it doesn't help very much at all.

The version of the rifle I have has the AR tube, with a Magpul CTR stock, a fantastic stock for an AR, but the drop at the comb on the 556 is horrendous for a rail mounted scope. Why every company feels they have to have an AR stock is beyond me, as everyone is trying to reinvent it continuously says they probably aren't optimal. Only after buying it and looking into it did I find that I would cost about $900 total to get the Swiss style stock on my rifle. My fault for not doing the research.

Although they changed the magazine well to use readily available STANAG magazines, along with adding the AR tube, they used the standard 550 height folding front sight, why in the hell they wouldn't put a sight on there that was the fraction of an inch higher, and why no one makes one you can use with the existing assembly is beyond me, either way you can't use an AR rear sight on it without buying a Midwest Industries replacement front sight to the tune of about $85. The other options are buying the SIG diopter rear for about $225 or the Sampson diopter rear for about the same price.

Between the quad rails, and the feather weight AR tube, the rifle is ridiculously unbalanced, and tiring to shoulder for any length of time. I go to the gym around 5 days a week, but holding the 9lbs or whatever this thing weighs loaded with one hand at arms length will sap you in no time. There is positively no way this rifle will balance on the mag well.

So, the 556 fell short of my expectations in every measurable way. Getting the rifle to do what I want would wind up being a money pit, and I'll never get close to getting out of it what I put into it. Although it may very well be an accurate rifle, there's no way to shoot it from a solid position so I'll never know. Hey, at least it looks cool, right?

p1010006s.jpg

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Bought a Walther PPK .380 at the Indy 1500 gun show in June. It was nice to look at, but I spent more time dealing with problems at the range than shooting it. It wouldn't shoot a magazine without at least one FTE or FTF (and that thing only held 6 in the mag). The number of FTEs got better as the gun broke in, but light primer strikes became more frequent. Read the vast number of similar stories on the Walther Forum site, so I decided to trade it for something better at the Indy 1500 in August. Found a used Sig P232 that looks like it was never shot and haven't had one problem with it. It's what a gun should be...reliable.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    From my experience the S&W BodyGuard .380. 125 rounds and the trigger fails to reset, sent back to S&W. Received it back from S&W and for the first 15-20 rounds the trigger still failed to reset. After another 25-50 rounds it will now reset. Trigger pull is insanely HARD/LONG. The gun will not fire until the trigger is pulled completely back to the frame. At least I haven't had the takedown pin fall out yet.... VERY poorly designed firearm.

Not real happy with my first S&W firearm at all.:noway:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Pretty much everything Walther

P22 is fun, fairly reliable if using good ammo, but it is difficult to shoot accurately compared to "target" .22s. I guess I just didn't buy the right thing.

PPK: This is hands down the WORST disappointment! Beautiful stainless pistol, but the edges are so sharp they cut the web of my hand drawing blood in less than 50 rounds. The worst part about it is it couldn't make i through a single mag without a failure to feed (FMJ ball ammo).

P99: accurate and reliable, but it pinches the hell out of my trigger finger. Luckily it is my wifes and it doesn't do that to her finger. I really wanted to like it, but it hurts.

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    This "black gun" is making me see red. Model1sales upper.Dpms lower has blown up not once but twice,identical problem. Was so excited to fork out $750.00 for a gun I 've been drooling over for weeks on end just to have it blow magazines apart and wonder if your all there after the smoke clears. I hate em I hate em I hate em...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom