• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive come to realize of late just how addicting these rifles can get.i bought my first one last year.now im up to 3 of them.just curious if anyone else thinks the same about them.all 3 of mine are the 91/30's.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    YES! they are very addicting!i purchased my first one a 91/30 at gander mountain a few years ago.loved it.i have 5 of these rifles.3 91/30s and 2 M44s.its very hard to pass these rifles up when you come across them because you get so much bang for your buck.i recently got another from GM yesterday thats dated 1928 with the hex reciever.didnt have that one in the collection yet so i figured why not? only $120.but yea you get ahold of one of these guns and the rest is history.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    YES! they are very addicting!i purchased my first one a 91/30 at gander mountain a few years ago.loved it.i have 5 of these rifles.3 91/30s and 2 M44s.its very hard to pass these rifles up when you come across them because you get so much bang for your buck.i recently got another from GM yesterday thats dated 1928 with the hex reciever.didnt have that one in the collection yet so i figured why not? only $120.but yea you get ahold of one of these guns and the rest is history.
    1928 is probably an ex Dragoon :D

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    What is so great about these guns? (not trying to be a jerk just a honest question) I see a lot of people have them and are really into them. Are they really precision shooters? (what kind of 100yd groups we talking about?) Are they cool becuase they shoot a big cartridge that is relatively cheap? Is it a piece of history? Being ignorant to their attraction they look like old beat up guns to me that are inexpensive with affordable ammo.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    r6vr6,
    I think you just about covered all the bases..... for me, they are inexpensive shooters, I would guess within 2MOA with iron sights, although I haven't done any scientific testing yet.

Personally, I think it's cool to be able to acquire pieces of history, 60 years old +, that can still do a good job. Sure, they can be a little battle weary with dings in the stocks etc, but that adds to their attraction for me.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Once you shoot one...it's all over from there...There will be no turning back.
    I've just started my collection, I've got a 91/30 and now an M44.
    Looking to see what they have available at the 1500, as I might walk home with at least 1 more. :yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My son and I started our collection in January. We now have 7 in the house. There are 2 M44s, an M38, two 91/30s, an M91 (Westinghouse) and an M39. Yes, they are addicting. My favorite to shoot is a toss up between my M38 and my 1953 Hugarian M44. The most accurate is either the M39 or M91. Both of those are Finnish captures and have a higher level of fit and finish from the factory.

I think the appeal for me is in the ability to use a piece of military history. Most of the Mosins we have saw action during the WWII and shooting one on a snowy winter day lets you imagine what it was like in the Winter War somewhat. Plus, they throw a huge fireball with some ammo. It's almost as much fun to watch someone shooting one as it is to shoot it yourself.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    Was this the GM in castleton? If so then I was handling that gun yesterday probably right before you bought it

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I bought my first mosin a few years ago. purchased another M44 about a year after that just because I mostly see 91/30's and I'm all about the m44's. I ended up giving my uncle one of my m44's for christmas. gotta spread the Mosin bug!

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking about buying my first Mosin, but not real sure what to look for. How can you tell if the head space is correct on them, if they have been counter bored, any other problems I should look for? Just kicking around the idea of buying one.:dunno:

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Headspace, you need a gauge.

Counter bore, just look at the muzzle. If you see no rifling and the hole looks a little big, it's been bored. Go down to Bradis and look at their rack of 91/30's and compare muzzles. It wont take 5 minutes before you can tell the difference. ;-)

Counterboring is not a show stopper, but if you have someone asking too much, you might be able to use it as a tool to yank the price down a bit. What would be a show stopper to me would be if the bore is heavily pitted. Dark or frosty can still be a fun shooter if that's all you're after.

The other thing I'd look at is cycle the bolt and check the trigger. If it has sticking issues now, it gets worse when it's hot.... although a lot of times that stuff is correctable. Just depends on how much effort you're willing to invest in a hundred dollar rifle.

For me, the fun is the history. I like shooting the long 91/30... The M44 is just a blast to shoot (literally... watch the fireball coming out of that baby). I also have an M39 that is one of my favorites right behind my Swiss K31. Very accurate. Just recently picked up a 91/59 that looks to be a lot of fun, but that one's going to end up under the Christmas tree.

Note on the Finn'd rifles if you're new to it - the M39 is probably the best one of the bunch for accuracy and "feel"... usually will have shiny barrels, too. They're almost always built on old hex receivers. If you find one online that's built on an antique receiver, there's no FFL needed. ;-)

But prepare yourself... M39's are in the $300 range (depending on conditions and markings), where you can find most of the Russian variants for $100, give or take a few sawbucks based on markings, etc..

Oh and sometimes you can find a real treasure perusing through the racks, too. Dad bought a 1904 M91 (Tula) many years back because... well because it was a cool damn rifle! Bought it for the same price as all the 91/30's on the rack at the time. I got to looking at it a lot closer this last week and noticed it had Finn wire sling hangers... which led to finding a Finn "SA" mark on the receiver that neither of us had noticed before. Sweet!

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I picked up a m44 several yrs ago for like 90 bucks. I think tax, a hundred rds or so and i was out the door for about $100.

I have probably only shot 10-12 rds through it. That thing is a BEAST!! I agree that it's all most as much fun to watch it being shot as shoot it myself.

I'm mainly hanging onto it for the piece of history it represents

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the great link and all the info! I'm also on gunboards.com they have tons of info on there about them but not broke out like 7.62x54r.net. That really made it easy to understand. Thanks again!:yesway:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Here is a guy that has just about every WW2 small arms there is to have showing how much he likes his mosin m44. I have 2 91/30's a m44 and a m38. If you only own modern rifles have someone hit you in the shoulder with a baseball bat a couple of times just to be sure you would even be a good candidate to own a Mosin.
    YouTube - battle rattle

oops that is the same guy but a different video than I thought it was.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Mosins are like 22s. Everyone should own at least one. Fun to shoot and cheap surplus ammo. An M44 was my first gun. And it is the one I always take shooting no matter what else I bring with it. I am always wanting to shoot 5 more rounds before I leave. And it usually ends up being 20 rounds. Its just addicting.

Top Bottom