• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I bought my romanian M44 back when I was 18 during my senior year of high school, paid $50 for it back then. Then last summer I picked up my russian 91/30 for $80 at dunhams. My M44 has been my main coyote rifle for a long time now, but its modded too. I'm hoping to buy another one here soon to leave orig and just have fun.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I think they are cool because of their nastalgia. Just think, if it wasn't for this rifle the Nazis would have taken Stalengrad! It's the history for me. My 13 yr old says he would take a wooden WWII rifle over any "Black Rifle". Me, I like firearms of all kinds but these Military rifles are awesome and I really enjoy doing resaerch on them. You definitely get lots of looks at the range...

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    That's a big question. You really need to check here:

Here's a list of every known variant:
    Variations of the Rifles Mosin-Nagant

Here's a real good pictorial of all the models:
    Mosin Nagant Master Model Reference

The main timeline for Russian Nagants is the M91 from ..... 1891. (Surprised? LOL)

The m91 led to the 91/30. Early models have a hex receiver, later wartime models used a round receiver design. From there they made a cut down carbine in the M38 and later in WW II came the M44 which looks a lot like an M38 with a side folding bayonet. Then came the semi-mysterious 91/59.

That's a seriously egregious Reader's Digest version of it. The other two sites will be tons more informative.

Then when your head is dizzy with the Russian variants and markings, wait until you start trying to keep track of all rest of the variants from satellite nations. ;-)

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My first Mil Surplus rifle was a Romanian M44, man I was hooked and the rest is history. 91/30's are my favorite. $79-$120 for an awesome bolt action rifle. I just love em. :D

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Mosins???? Did someone say Mosins?
    16Mosins1.jpg

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Reminds me of my last time out shooting...I don't know what it is, but they certainly bring a smile to your face and make you laugh. :):

I wonder if the Russians laughed when they splatted the heads of the Germans. :dunno: :D

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let's see, my first was a Tula M91/30.
    Then came......
    Tula M44
    Ishevsk M59
    Tula M38
    Tula M59
    1906 Ishevsk M91/38 (hex receiver)
    1898 Ishevsk M91

The nicest shooter is the M91. The best trigger is the M91/38, guessing at about 4 lbs, crisp, and very little uptake.

None of them kick as hard as my Marlin 30-30.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's a big question. You really need to check here:

Here's a list of every known variant:
    Variations of the Rifles Mosin-Nagant

Here's a real good pictorial of all the models:
    Mosin Nagant Master Model Reference

The main timeline for Russian Nagants is the M91 from ..... 1891. (Surprised? LOL)

The m91 led to the 91/30. Early models have a hex receiver, later wartime models used a round receiver design. From there they made a cut down carbine in the M38 and later in WW II came the M44 which looks a lot like an M38 with a side folding bayonet. Then came the semi-mysterious 91/59.

That's a seriously egregious Reader's Digest version of it. The other two sites will be tons more informative.

Then when your head is dizzy with the Russian variants and markings, wait until you start trying to keep track of all rest of the variants from satellite nations. ;-)

Good place to start. Thanks!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Denny, I don't think you have enough, once you double that then you can start thinking about quitting, emphasis on "thinking"

Also, what is the one with the short front end of the wood?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, I don't think you have enough, once you double that then you can start thinking about quitting, emphasis on "thinking"

Also, what is the one with the short front end of the wood?
    Ha, I'm on break from buying anymore for the moment...with the economy and all. The one rifle with the short wood was bubba'd. They cut the stock down for some reason. Thankfully, they never messed with the rest of the rifle. It is in beautiful condition...non-import marked. I have since found a correct replacement stock and it's back to a normal condition. Since this picture, I have bought an original 91/30 sniper with it's original scope and mount still intact.

Top Bottom