• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The older I get the more agitated I get with tasteless morons that call themselves sportsmen. Their actions will doom us to endless laws and campaigns to end hunting and fishing.

We seem to forget that hunters and fishermen are the voting minority. We also seem to forget that much of America hasn't yet formed an opinion on hunting but our actions could change that.

I find it insane that some would post pictures of dead or dying animals in a manner that would lead anyone to believe they were Nazi death camp operators, terrorists, or dog fighting promoters. There are tasteful ways to show off your successful hunt. If you wouldn't show the pictures to your five-year old or your mom, I question why you would take the picture and I really have to question why you would post it on-line for all the world to see. (Note: I have not seen any pics like this on INGO.)

I also have to question the ethics of some hunters and fishermen I have met, or have seen the results of. Ethics are how you act when no one is watching.

1. While I was living in Florida a young deer hunter was shot out of a tree stand by two other hunters. Why? They thought he was one of the few remaining protected and endangered Florida panthers...

2. While living in Colorado I overheard another hunter tell his friends his experiences for that day. While he hadn't seen anything he had taken a good sound shot. For those of you that don't understand, he heard what sounded like a deer in the brush, so he shot at it... What happened to being sure of your target?

3. While helping other Scouters cleaning a launch ramp on White River we found a channel catfish that had been filleted...alive. The sportsman had then released the fish back into the river. The fish was breathing but had no muscle to swim. It was left to die a slow lingering death. What happened to making a clean kill and cause as little suffering as possible?

4. While living in Colorado a neighbor harvested a small bull elk. They then chopped of the head and tied it to the cattle rack on their truck and drove around with it for weeks for all to see. Imagine the gory impact on any none-hunters or children that saw it. How do you think they were going to vote the next time a hunting issue was on the ballot?

I will be the first to say I have done some stupid stuff that I wish I could take back. Perhaps some do what they do because they haven't thought about it in another light.

I encourage others to post their stories in hopes that peer pressure will help others see the light.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Yeah I know where you are coming from, when I go deer hunting I actually just like being outdoors and being in the quiet peaceful nature and forgetting the rest of the world and if I happen to see a deer and get the chance to get some truly great venison then even better. In my opinion it is not a hunt when the guy is sitting in a blind and has a deer feeder 15 foot in front of him, That is not hunting in my opinion that is a setup (sounds like some TV shows I have seen) I really don't like trophy hunters either just like shooting a rhino or hippo? why? you really need that! :dunno:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah I know where you are coming from, when I go deer hunting I actually just like being outdoors and being in the quiet peaceful nature and forgetting the rest of the world and if I happen to see a deer and get the chance to get some truly great venison then even better. In my opinion it is not a hunt when the guy is sitting in a blind and has a deer feeder 15 foot in front of him, That is not hunting in my opinion that is a setup (sounds like some TV shows I have seen) I really don't like trophy hunters either just like shooting a rhino or hippo? why? you really need that! :dunno:

It's because you didn't grow up like that is why you don't call it hunting. Just because you don't understand why other people hunt like that doesn't mean you should condem it. Not everyone is surrounded by corn and bean fields.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    There will be morons in any sport, hunting, baseball, hang gliding what ever. For every anticdotal story one can come up with, there are tens of thousands of legal and ethical harvests on record. Listen to the Democrates in the latest health care debate. One BOZO mentioned some lady that had to wear her father's dentures because she didn't have dental coverage. OH Pleeeze! Be carefull when using urban legands to make a point. I recieve hundreds of email a year about bear attacks, alligators the size of Buicks etc. Usually Snopes will show the truth of the story.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Indymonkey I am not bashing hunting I HUNT! did you not read it if I see a whitetail or anything I can eat I will shoot it dead!:D

I read where you comdem the pratice of using feeders. The hunting comunity is small enough, no reason to disect it more.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Indymonkey I am not bashing hunting I HUNT! did you not read it if I see a whitetail or anything I can eat I will shoot it dead!:D

I read your comment picking up on the anti hunting propaganda "trophy hunters". How do you feel about "Saturday Night Special" shooters?

(There's a first. Sarcasm hardly seems worth the effort to do well if I have to lable it with some foo foo color. Don't expect it all the time.)

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In Indiana hunting over or near a feeder is baiting and illegal. I would not recommend doing so and I would really not recommend stating you're doing so on a public forum.
    Hunting over a feeder is also not considered fair chase is is frowned upon by any hunting association I have seen.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In Indiana hunting over or near a feeder is baiting and illegal. I would not recommend doing so and I would really not recommend stating you're doing so on a public forum.
    Hunting over a feeder is also not considered fair chase is is frowned upon by any hunting association I have seen.

Indy said nothing that you are assuming. Quoted below for further reading comprehension... ;)
    What is illegal here is legal in several states I have lived and hunted in...

It's because you didn't grow up like that is why you don't call it hunting. Just because you don't understand why other people hunt like that doesn't mean you should condem it. Not everyone is surrounded by corn and bean fields.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    If its legal I support it. Might not do it but I wont put down others that do.
    Divide and conquire, thats the anti's plan.
    I have bow hunted balck bear over bait in the Canadian bush 5 times now so I guess I wasn't hunting huh?
    Lions, tigers, and bears oh my! Lets throw in a elephant, hippo, and maybe a rhino while we are at it. Poaching in Africa is reduced by sport hunting because of the dollars hunters spend on a safari. A lot of that money goes directly to the villages along with much needed meat. African's big 5 are worth more if managed for carring capacity and sport hunting than villagers poaching them. The biggest threat to wildlife is habitat destruction.Those are undisputable facts. Its happing in Africa too!
    Have a nice day!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I forgot the two bucks that showed up on my rural route to work during the first shotgun season weekend. Both were gutted and had the antlers removed. They were dumped together 18 inches off the pavement. While the coyotes ate good it was a shameful waste of meat that could have gone to the local mission. Thousands of folks drove by and got to form an unfavorable opinion on hunters. Thanks for helping the antis.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I forgot the two bucks that showed up on my rural route to work during the first shotgun season weekend. Both were gutted and had the antlers removed. They were dumped together 18 inches off the pavement. While the coyotes ate good it was a shameful waste of meat that could have gone to the local mission. Thousands of folks drove by and got to form an unfavorable opinion on hunters. Thanks for helping the antis.

Ummmm, those were not hunters, they were poachers. :twocents:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Agreed. Don't know what county you are from but this past season the DNR guys caught up with a couple men (in age only) from Florida that drove up to simply spotlight trophy deer and cut their heads off and leave the rest. Just a shame.
    Don't know what because of their cases. Likely light sentence.

thecanuck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I was in Galyan's a few years back after opening weekend and over heard a guy talking about his opening deer weekend. He said he never got anything but took a couple good "sound" shots. The clerk asked him what he meant and he said he heard a deer walking through the woods and shot in that direction.

Saw some guys waterfowling once that had setup and were shooting into the city park. It didn't bother them that a track and field team was training right there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I'm going to echo this with a twist. I don't hunt because I enjoy hunting. To be sure, I enjoy the time I spend sitting in the woods, but I can do that any day I want (and often do) because I live on the land I hunt and make part of my living from that land. I hunt because I like venison and it's a way to put meat in the freezer. If I could trap deer on my property in a live trap and have someone else process it for me for free so I never had to deal with it I'd be perfectly happy. If hunting on a feeder were legal in Indiana, I'd do that too.

If you're hunting for sport it's all good and fine to talk about what is ethical and whatnot, but if you're hunting for food then anything that gets the meat on the table is what works.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Eeyup. I'm with the OP on the OP. Guys that hunt but aren't doing it right are a pain in the butt. I've had the misfortune of meeting more than a couple of people that hunted but weren't what I would call hunters. Trespassing is one of the big things that gets my goat. I can't stand it when I hear folks talking about how they "got runned offa so and so's place this morning".I ran into a coupla turkey hunters a few years ago. I'd heard 'em shoot behind the place I was on but they walked out through the property I had permission to hunt .
    I talked to em a minute and congratulated them on the bird, a big gobbler. The one guy , who was carrying the bird said he'd shot it but he used his buddy's tag because he was a convicted felon and couldn't use or legally own a firearm. They also said they'd been" runned offa" 3 places that morning alone and were proud of it!
    No good rats .

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm going to echo this with a twist. I don't hunt because I enjoy hunting. To be sure, I enjoy the time I spend sitting in the woods, but I can do that any day I want (and often do) because I live on the land I hunt and make part of my living from that land. I hunt because I like venison and it's a way to put meat in the freezer. If I could trap deer on my property in a live trap and have someone else process it for me for free so I never had to deal with it I'd be perfectly happy. If hunting on a feeder were legal in Indiana, I'd do that too.

If you're hunting for sport it's all good and fine to talk about what is ethical and whatnot, but if you're hunting for food then anything that gets the meat on the table is what works.

Back in the day when eveyone hunted that way they killed deer out of existance in Indiana.

HUNTERS stepped up to the plate to bring deer back to indiana, not market hunters or shooting zoo operators. Sport hunters.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Trespassing is bad for everyone. My next door neighbor used to allow hunting and allowed another neighbor to hunt behind me. It was all ruined when the "hunter" shot and killed a cow and didn't man up. The property owner didn't know about it until he found the dead cow and it was too late to use any of the meat.
    When confronted the hunter did confess to killing the cow, but since then, no hunting, which I guess I should like as that means there's no hunting pressure on that side...

As for market hunters...They are the major reason the passenger pigeon is now extinct. Reports told of flock flying over Louisville, KY in the early 1800s that darkened the noon day sun like dusk. Numbers were estimated to be in the billions in large flocks. Farmers would find where the birds were roosting and build smoky fires under them so that the bird would die of smoke and fall to the ground for hog feed. Other market hunters would use cannons to bring down as many as possible, pack them in barrels and ship them back east to feed city folk. Special trains would follow the flocks so sport hunters could hunt them. The last one died in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914, if I remember right.

I doubt many of you realize we used to have wild parrots in this state, the Carolina Parakeet. They too were hunted to extinction for their colorful feathers used on ladies hats.

Top Bottom