• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hello John, You have the story a little wrong and I will admit that wasn't a high point. For the thousands reading this thread the muzzleloaders were in fact sitting below our tree stand 50 yards away. The buck was one I had just shot and was lying in a multiflora rose bramble. I sent my teenage son back to get a muzzleoader to finish off but suddenly the deer had one last burst of adrenilin as I grabbed it by the antlers. What appeared to be a deer breathing it's last was now a stomping, kicking tornado spraying me with blood. Since it was the first buck I had in 19 years I didn't want the lose him so I foolishly held on the the antlers. My son came back with the muzzleloader and for a split second the deer stood there unmoving. In another foolish move I told my son the put the barrel to the deer ribs and shoot him. ( The angle was such the shot would have been away from me.) But, before he could, the deer lunged and jumped away. We tracked it into our neighbor's cornfield where it was once again lying down breathing its last. This time we didn't take any chances...I fired the muzzleloader my son was carrying only to have the main charge not go off. The second shot worked. All that for a small six-point that weighed less than I did. Like I said, not one of my finer moments. Some foolish moves? Yes. Un-ethical? We were not poaching. I didn't waste any meat. The deer was tagged. So, you tell me.

Now, if you want to talk ethical smack, what about people taking a crap in someone elses ground deer stand while they're working on Saturdays...hmmm.

The first story...
    While not really unethical, it surely is asinine to grab a deer like that...
    But very fuuny for us though, thanks... :D

The second story...
    Depends I guess on how good of a friend they are... :dunno:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    The older I get the more agitated I get with tasteless morons that call themselves sportsmen. Their actions will doom us to endless laws and campaigns to end hunting and fishing.

We seem to forget that hunters and fishermen are the voting minority. We also seem to forget that much of America hasn't yet formed an opinion on hunting but our actions could change that.

I find it insane that some would post pictures of dead or dying animals in a manner that would lead anyone to believe they were Nazi death camp operators, terrorists, or dog fighting promoters. There are tasteful ways to show off your successful hunt. If you wouldn't show the pictures to your five-year old or your mom, I question why you would take the picture and I really have to question why you would post it on-line for all the world to see. (Note: I have not seen any pics like this on INGO.)

I also have to question the ethics of some hunters and fishermen I have met, or have seen the results of. Ethics are how you act when no one is watching.

1. While I was living in Florida a young deer hunter was shot out of a tree stand by two other hunters. Why? They thought he was one of the few remaining protected and endangered Florida panthers...

2. While living in Colorado I overheard another hunter tell his friends his experiences for that day. While he hadn't seen anything he had taken a good sound shot. For those of you that don't understand, he heard what sounded like a deer in the brush, so he shot at it... What happened to being sure of your target?

3. While helping other Scouters cleaning a launch ramp on White River we found a channel catfish that had been filleted...alive. The sportsman had then released the fish back into the river. The fish was breathing but had no muscle to swim. It was left to die a slow lingering death. What happened to making a clean kill and cause as little suffering as possible?

4. While living in Colorado a neighbor harvested a small bull elk. They then chopped of the head and tied it to the cattle rack on their truck and drove around with it for weeks for all to see. Imagine the gory impact on any none-hunters or children that saw it. How do you think they were going to vote the next time a hunting issue was on the ballot?

I will be the first to say I have done some stupid stuff that I wish I could take back. Perhaps some do what they do because they haven't thought about it in another light.

I encourage others to post their stories in hopes that peer pressure will help others see the light.

I agree with you on the part that what we do reflects on us all good or bad, however the trem "ethics" , I will have to disagree with you here.

Who has the right to deside what the proper ethics of something is?
    What I see as ethical you might see other wise and vise versa.

So ethics isn't a trem that should be used

I'll go out on a limb here and prove it

I'm a trapper , I trap animals. Now i'm betting there will be many guys and gals on here ( because of ignorance) that disagree with trapping.
    This is not meant to be disrespective to anyone , education and understanding can resolve the ignorance problem.

Ethics? no I wouldn't use that term

Like I said , I might disagree with some folks calling themself hunters or sportsmen but the last thing we need is to help feed the anti's this garbage , even more so on a public forum:dunno:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I first wanted to scream, then I thought and , and well I am guilty, I try my best now, I am older, by darn I remember when I had not, do not challenge me as to why this is foder for the antis as I will show them and u why it is not, lets just let it rest! can we???:rolleyes:

Top Bottom