• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Better check local laws to be sure.

Too much BS here and know-it-alls that actually know nothing about the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    There are a few people I've hunted with that I refuse to hunt with again. These people like to drink before and during the hunt. Now I like to hunt and I like to have a few beers, but the two don't mix.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Trespassing is bad for everyone. My next door neighbor used to allow hunting and allowed another neighbor to hunt behind me. It was all ruined when the "hunter" shot and killed a cow and didn't man up. The property owner didn't know about it until he found the dead cow and it was too late to use any of the meat.
    When confronted the hunter did confess to killing the cow, but since then, no hunting, which I guess I should like as that means there's no hunting pressure on that side...

As for market hunters...They are the major reason the passenger pigeon is now extinct. Reports told of flock flying over Louisville, KY in the early 1800s that darkened the noon day sun like dusk. Numbers were estimated to be in the billions in large flocks. Farmers would find where the birds were roosting and build smoky fires under them so that the bird would die of smoke and fall to the ground for hog feed. Other market hunters would use cannons to bring down as many as possible, pack them in barrels and ship them back east to feed city folk. Special trains would follow the flocks so sport hunters could hunt them. The last one died in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914, if I remember right.

I doubt many of you realize we used to have wild parrots in this state, the Carolina Parakeet. They too were hunted to extinction for their colorful feathers used on ladies hats.

Kinda like the Buffalo on the State Seal. Just a shame.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Back in the day when eveyone hunted that way they killed deer out of existance in Indiana.

HUNTERS stepped up to the plate to bring deer back to indiana, not market hunters or shooting zoo operators. Sport hunters.

I would like to thank all the people involved with re-introducing Whitetail Deer to Indiana. With out their help in this I would not recieve the Depridation Tags that I have do to the damage they cause. Also I would like to thank them for all the Coyotes tha came with the Deer herds... Thanks for thinking that one all the way though guys...

(For the slow that was all sarcasm by the way)

Trespassing is bad for everyone.

As for market hunters...They are the major reason the passenger pigeon is now extinct.

I don't know I end up every couple of years with some pretty nice tree stands, blinds and other various hunting equipment every year due to tresspassers... It's kinda like an early christmas for me...

Come on up my way I got all the Pigeons, Sparrows, Blackbirds and Crows you could ever want. You are more than welcome to catch them and take them back with you...

Kinda like the Buffalo on the State Seal. Just a shame.

Gee could someone please reintroduce Buffalo Herds to Indiana. As if the Deer, Coyotes, and Hawgs are not doing enough damage to the place all ready...

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have a neighbor that has a dozen or so deer heads mounted. Don't get me wrong I'd hang any one of them if I got it going to, sitting in, or leaving my stand. He thinks hunting is driving around till you spot a nice buck and shooting it. The only law he breaks in doing so is tresspassing, but I still wouldn't be proud of any of them if I were him. Just for the record I don't have any deer on my wall because I've never had the opportunity, but I hunt for the meat and enjoy being in the peace and quiet of beautiful mother nature.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I would like to thank all the people involved with re-introducing Whitetail Deer to Indiana. With out their help in this I would not recieve the Depridation Tags that I have do to the damage they cause. Also I would like to thank them for all the Coyotes tha came with the Deer herds... Thanks for thinking that one all the way though guys...

(For the slow that was all sarcasm by the way)

I don't know I end up every couple of years with some pretty nice tree stands, blinds and other various hunting equipment every year due to tresspassers... It's kinda like an early christmas for me...

Come on up my way I got all the Pigeons, Sparrows, Blackbirds and Crows you could ever want. You are more than welcome to catch them and take them back with you...

Gee could someone please reintroduce Buffalo Herds to Indiana. As if the Deer, Coyotes, and Hawgs are not doing enough damage to the place all ready...
    Farmer?:dunno:

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I don't understand Jeremy's stance on hunting....deer in general, and coyotes, hogs, etc....personally, I would rather not hit a deer with my truck, but I am no hunter, and I am glad they exist here in the numbers they do...

Now, Canadian Geese ? ? They can all go back to Canada for all I care, damned flying, crapping rats...

Members of my family and my extended family hunt a variety of game, and they are what I would say "ethical" hunters...they wouldn't poach, nor do they condone such activity...gives all a bad name.

Me ? I am a trophy bass fisherman, I don't keep ANY fish, I take photos, and then return them to their habitat, relatively un-harmed and healthy, to fight another day...their only value, to ME, is if they are alive, to eat, breed, and sometimes, get caught by me.

I am an ethical fisherman, but I found a pile of bass, at a local lake last year, that had been caught, thrown up on to the land nearby to the boat-ramp, left to rot and stink, a waste all around, and stunk to high heaven for weeks....this was done at a boat ramp, along with illegal camp-fire, and a terrible mess left by these pin-heads....they were cat fishing at night, and used a section of the public ramp for their toilet, beer cans and bottles thrown about, trash everywhere, of course, they were not caught, and they seem to do this activity several times a summer....IF or WHEN the IDNR catches them, they will be held accountable for these deplorable actions, levied a smallish fine, and choose another place to do their "sport"....

Yup, takes all kinds.

I am out ....;)

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have a neighbor that has a dozen or so deer heads mounted. Don't get me wrong I'd hang any one of them if I got it going to, sitting in, or leaving my stand. He thinks hunting is driving around till you spot a nice buck and shooting it. The only law he breaks in doing so is tresspassing, but I still wouldn't be proud of any of them if I were him. Just for the record I don't have any deer on my wall because I've never had the opportunity, but I hunt for the meat and enjoy being in the peace and quiet of beautiful mother nature.

Shooting along or across a road is not only illegal but dangerous. This guy needs to be caught. I would tell my CO who he is and where he is poaching.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't understand Jeremy's stance on hunting....deer in general, and coyotes, hogs, etc....personally, I would rather not hit a deer with my truck, but I am no hunter, and I am glad they exist here in the numbers they do...

My stance is very easy to understand...

Have a couple Acres of ground and try to make a living off it... Does not take long to have a strong dislike for trophy hunters politicking to reintroduce some species to the State.

They bring animals here for the sport of hunting without thinking of the second, third, and fourth order of effects. We brought deer back to the state with no natural predators other than man. They run rampant, I get like 40+ Deer a year to harvest because they are so over bred. The deer are abundant, Coyotes came. No natural predators in Indiana for them any more. Last year me and a couple friends killed out a nest of 70+ coyotes off his sheep farm. And hogs are possibly one of the most destructive animals around and someone introduced them to Indiana for the pleasure of hunting them. Yeah some of them may just be feral hogs. I'll buy that but not in the numbers in the areas were they are present, not completely anyway. If that was the case the largest population for hogs would be in North Central Indiana around the counties of Carroll and Clinton. Some of the largest hog producers in the Nation reside there...

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I see, Jeremy, we have not seen hogs here as yet....could be, but I don't hunt so I have not seen 'em....I do see coyotes in some numbers, not plenty, but a few, we have guys around that shoot them regularly, and deer, well, had a guy take one last year that wound up in the Boone and Crocket record books....monster buck right from Allen County.

We have had a good population of deer for many years up north state, also plenty of hunters, so I think the numbers have remained sorta in control, more or less, but I'm sure the farmers don't like 'em much.

I am OUT.........:cool:

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    It makes me sick when people who hunt (not true hunters who are sportsman and conservationists) do stupid crap that puts the public's view of hunting in a negative light. It's much worse when they can't wait to tell others all about it like they think it's cool and no one will do anything about it. I was at a gas station and had seen a guy working in there several times and we had briefly talked a few times about hunting. One day he was telling me how he and a friend went out to a field (just a few miles from my property) to spotlight deer (this was still in early archery season a couple weeks before shotgun season began). He said that night they spotlighted as well as used calls to take 9 deer. He then told me that they got 3 bucks that they decided to just skull cap because they didn't want the bucks' venison when they had 6 more does even though they only had room for one deer's venison in their freezer so they just left the rest in the field, he then preceded to extend an invitation to me to go with he and his friend later that night. Upon hearing this, I was steaming inside. I then gave him a verbal a** kicking and told him that he and his friend are the reason that others view hunting in a negative way. I also told him that I would be informing the DNR and the sheriff's department of his recent actions (which I did follow through with) and since then, I haven't seen him at that gas station since then.
    True hunters, IMO, are sportsman and conservationists who do it for the joy of being in the woods and being able to experience the awesomeness of nature. True hunters don't hunt just to kill something, they go to enjoy things. I had a science professor in college ask me if you just go to experience nature and get close to wildlife, why not take a camera instead of a gun? I responded that I can't eat a picture. Yes, hunters do kill animals, but those of us that respect wildlife and respect hunting do so because we don't waste the animals. We don't kill them just because we can or just because they are there, we do it because we eat the meat or use the hides. A couple of my father's friends were telling me that when a blizzard struck our state in the late 70's, it decimated the quail population. Then they told me that they organized as many fellow hunters as they could to go out into the snow and set out birdseed as well as other things to help the remaining quail population survive. For all the bunny huggers out there that say hunters don't do anything to help protect the animals they kill, they are wrong, more money for animal conservation comes from hunters than from non-hunters, especially through groups like NAHC, DU, NWTF, etc. This is just my stance on the topic.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    They bring animals here for the sport of hunting without thinking of the second, third, and fourth order of effects. We brought deer back to the state with no natural predators other than man.

Right, they were brought back.

I'm guessing, before they were killed out, they were here long before the first plow turned over its first soil. Maybe their claim goes back farther than yours. Kind of like the suburban homeowners who complain about deer eating their flowers. Maybe building your house on ground that was woods for a 1000 years before yesterday was a bad idea.

But I'm a big fan of commerce, an Aldo Leopold type conservationist, and I sure do like to eat venison, so I'm fine with filling depredation permits. With any luck we will get a sustainable population of big cats before too long to help us with that.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Right, they were brought back.

I'm guessing, before they were killed out, they were here long before the first plow turned over its first soil. Maybe their claim goes back farther than yours. Kind of like the suburban homeowners who complain about deer eating their flowers. Maybe building your house on ground that was woods for a 1000 years before yesterday was a bad idea.

But I'm a big fan of commerce, an Aldo Leopold type conservationist, and I sure do like to eat venison, so I'm fine with filling depredation permits. With any luck we will get a sustainable population of big cats before too long to help us with that.

I have no problem with reintroduction of species. As long as it is a completely thought though process. What is going to happen when animal X is reintroduced by itself with no natural predator?! What other animals are going to come when you introduce animal X back into the State?! These things should be thought out a little better than they are and were... :dunno:

We all ready have some big cats in the State. Your wish for them is all ready here. I can not wait for the thread where someone in Suburbia walked out to see one in their front yard...

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I had a brother in law who "party hunted" and when I was invited to hunt with him and his buddy I found this out , when I got "scolded" for not shooting a doe , because I did not have a doe tag , but I was told between them there were extra doe tags available , I was asked "are you hunting bucks or are you here to hunt deer?"
    That same morning this other guy had to find a doe he shot the night before , but he decided to leave it for the coyotes because they had already ate part of it , this was due to a bad gut shot , this is a invitation I would never accept again , but the part of this I worry about , this "brother in law" is teaching his kids to do the same thing.
    I am so glad to know he is soon to be an "ex brother in law" !!!!

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Hunting

About two years ago, my uncle and myself were out hunting on my families farm. It was opening day of shotgun of deer season and we were bow hunting. We got there about 5 in the morning and were absolutely positive know one was on the property, as the gate was still closed and made sure that we closed it once we entered. After getting set up, about 30 minutes before sunrise, we see a small bottom buck pass by and shortly after we start hearing gunshots. Not only one or two, we heard around 20-25 all within a five minute range. Then another small doe goes by an we heard another 20-25 shots in a 5 minute range. We got out of our blinds and walked to our truck to go to the neighbors house to see what was going on. We noticed that the gate was opened, and see another hunter on the opposite side of the property from where we heard the shots and see a dead doe along the road on our property. We made our way to the neighbors and he came out. We asked what was going on and he said his girlfriend was on the opposite side of the property and his brother was out there firing all those rounds. As we are talking to him we hear another 10 shots, and hear over the radio that he shot the deer in the butt and it isn't dead yet and he can't get another shot at it. Even worst he was only 50 yards from us firing shots in every direction. The neighbor said that last he he ran out of slugs and said this year he won't. I don't under stand how you can fire 40-50 rounds and not bag 3 deer and fire the gun carelessly when they obviously know that someone else is on the property. I don't understand how people can be so stupid and unethical.

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    It makes me sick when people who hunt (not true hunters who are sportsman and conservationists) do stupid crap that puts the public's view of hunting in a negative light. It's much worse when they can't wait to tell others all about it like they think it's cool and no one will do anything about it. I was at a gas station and had seen a guy working in there several times and we had briefly talked a few times about hunting. One day he was telling me how he and a friend went out to a field (just a few miles from my property) to spotlight deer (this was still in early archery season a couple weeks before shotgun season began). He said that night they spotlighted as well as used calls to take 9 deer. He then told me that they got 3 bucks that they decided to just skull cap because they didn't want the bucks' venison when they had 6 more does even though they only had room for one deer's venison in their freezer so they just left the rest in the field, he then preceded to extend an invitation to me to go with he and his friend later that night. Upon hearing this, I was steaming inside. I then gave him a verbal a** kicking and told him that he and his friend are the reason that others view hunting in a negative way. I also told him that I would be informing the DNR and the sheriff's department of his recent actions (which I did follow through with) and since then, I haven't seen him at that gas station since then.
    True hunters, IMO, are sportsman and conservationists who do it for the joy of being in the woods and being able to experience the awesomeness of nature. True hunters don't hunt just to kill something, they go to enjoy things. I had a science professor in college ask me if you just go to experience nature and get close to wildlife, why not take a camera instead of a gun? I responded that I can't eat a picture. Yes, hunters do kill animals, but those of us that respect wildlife and respect hunting do so because we don't waste the animals. We don't kill them just because we can or just because they are there, we do it because we eat the meat or use the hides. A couple of my father's friends were telling me that when a blizzard struck our state in the late 70's, it decimated the quail population. Then they told me that they organized as many fellow hunters as they could to go out into the snow and set out birdseed as well as other things to help the remaining quail population survive. For all the bunny huggers out there that say hunters don't do anything to help protect the animals they kill, they are wrong, more money for animal conservation comes from hunters than from non-hunters, especially through groups like NAHC, DU, NWTF, etc. This is just my stance on the topic.

Very well said.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    HEY ALAN TELL EVERYONE THE STORY ABOUT YOU HOLDING THE YOUNG BUCK IN A HEADLOCK AND TELLING YOUR YOUNG SON TO GO TO THE HOUSE FOR A GUN TO SHOOT IT. HOW ETHICAL IS THAT.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    HEY ALAN TELL EVERYONE THE STORY ABOUT YOU HOLDING THE YOUNG BUCK IN A HEADLOCK AND TELLING YOUR YOUNG SON TO GO TO THE HOUSE FOR A GUN TO SHOOT IT. HOW ETHICAL IS THAT.

Hello John, You have the story a little wrong and I will admit that wasn't a high point. For the thousands reading this thread the muzzleloaders were in fact sitting below our tree stand 50 yards away. The buck was one I had just shot and was lying in a multiflora rose bramble. I sent my teenage son back to get a muzzleoader to finish off but suddenly the deer had one last burst of adrenilin as I grabbed it by the antlers. What appeared to be a deer breathing it's last was now a stomping, kicking tornado spraying me with blood. Since it was the first buck I had in 19 years I didn't want the lose him so I foolishly held on the the antlers. My son came back with the muzzleloader and for a split second the deer stood there unmoving. In another foolish move I told my son the put the barrel to the deer ribs and shoot him. ( The angle was such the shot would have been away from me.) But, before he could, the deer lunged and jumped away. We tracked it into our neighbor's cornfield where it was once again lying down breathing its last. This time we didn't take any chances...I fired the muzzleloader my son was carrying only to have the main charge not go off. The second shot worked. All that for a small six-point that weighed less than I did. Like I said, not one of my finer moments. Some foolish moves? Yes. Un-ethical? We were not poaching. I didn't waste any meat. The deer was tagged. So, you tell me.

Now, if you want to talk ethical smack, what about people taking a crap in someone elses ground deer stand while they're working on Saturdays...hmmm.

Top Bottom