• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Dude, your only question at this point should be when you're coming to see me and my associates either for a class or private sessions. In addition to the fact that I'm not the greatest physical specimen on the block, we've had more than a few students with limitations of some sort or another. It doesn't matter why and we don't judge anyone, except perhaps by their behavior. :D

You've expressed some of the same concerns and issues I had when I started my involvement in this area of study. In addition to real physical limitations, I knew I would be judged (sometimes harshly) because of those sometimes just because of my appearance. The idea of a 3-day class in the August heat scared the crap out of me. So far I've not let that stop me. Yeah, I take a seat with me so I can sit when I need to sit. So what? I'm in a much better place because I tried, did my best, and persevered than I would have been had I focused on why I couldn't do it instead. Some things I've had to just say "I can't do that," and some have forced me to find a different way to achieve the same results, but even if a different path, things are better for me.

One of the reasons we chose "Adaptive" for part of our name is because we specifically wanted to be able to adapt to the needs of students. If there is a skill a student can't do safely for whatever reason, we try to find a way for them to accomplish the same goal working within their capabilities. If someone needs to have sessions that are shorter in duration, we can handle that too. In fact, I prefer to do shorter sessions for a variety of reasons. We don't try to force anyone to do anything they can't do safely or that they don't feel comfortable doing.

The reason why I am posting this instead of sending a private message is because there may be others reading this who are hesitant to commit to formal training because of their limitations, whether real or perceived. We want to make this kind of instruction accessible to those people, many of whom are the most in need of defensive skills because they may lack the ability to retreat altogether. It's one of my personal goals to do this and even to help some come to the realization that they can participate in the "regular" classes as well.

Great post!

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    bbbas55, if you are looking for local (in/near Indiana) then check the supporters at the top of the tactics and training forum. If you are looking for larger programs nationwide, then a list such as found here: Training Schools List - TheFiringLine Forums would be more useful. You could also start a thread with your general location and people can let you know what is in the area, such as N/NE IN https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/80372-classes_in_north_or_ne_in.html

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    training is still very overlooked because it is so hard to find in many areas. Fort Wayne is the 2nd largest city in the state and look how little decent training is around here.

I've lived in Fort Wayne my whole life and I'm not aware of any training other than going to the shooting range or getting into the military.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    There are dozens of formal training opportunities within an hour or two of Fort Wayne every year. Many are hosted in MI, some are in northern IN and some in Indy. If training is a priority, you'll find some to take.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'll admit to way more guns that training and I know it's bad. As they say - "Beware the man with only one gun." I've been slowly scaling down the collection to one of every type and getting good with them.

steinway

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking for medical training. Red Cross only seems to offer a basic first aid class and a CPR class (I just took the first aid) and I do not want to go through a full time college program to become an EMT. Would like EMT type training, I think that would be a very useful skill to have. I am in Northeast IN. Anyone have any ideas?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am looking for medical training. Red Cross only seems to offer a basic first aid class and a CPR class (I just took the first aid) and I do not want to go through a full time college program to become an EMT. Would like EMT type training, I think that would be a very useful skill to have. I am in Northeast IN. Anyone have any ideas?

send me a pm or an email at john@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com and i'll get you some information on the type of training you may be looking to get.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    There are dozens of formal training opportunities within an hour or two of Fort Wayne every year. Many are hosted in MI, some are in northern IN and some in Indy. If training is a priority, you'll find some to take.
    The point was that Fort Wayne in the 2nd largest city in the state and there is no training of any consequence HERE. Any real training I have seen is always at least 1.45 hrs away (Indy).

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    The point was that Fort Wayne in the 2nd largest city in the state and there is no training of any consequence HERE. Any real training I have seen is always at least 1.45 hrs away (Indy).

Farnam usually does a class every year in Sturgis, MI - not that far away, all things considered.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There's a solution to not having training opportunities close enough to your residence to satisfy you: take some initiative and get someone to bring their classes to you.

Contact a known and competent itinerant instructor of your choice. Invite him or her to conduct a class at your local range. Do the leg work to advertise, register the minimum number of students, and then help make the class run smoothely. You might even get a discount or a free slot for doing so.

This is how it gets done. Why do you think instructors come to some ranges, especially year after year? It's not usually because they got a list of ranges and tried to sell their services. It's because someone local saw the need, took the initiative, invited the instructor, did the work, and got it done.

Complaining about it on INGO and other forums won't help much, but it's a lot easier than ramrodding a class.

I'm not sure why there is such a prevalent aversion to driving 2-3 hours to spend some quality time with some truly fantastic teachers like Louis Awerbuck or John Farnam. When I attend Awerbuck classes at Boone Co, there are ALWAYS multiple people from Tennessee, DC, and other places. Some have come from California and at least one from Canada. It's even more puzzling to me when people won't leave Hamilton County or Indianapolis to make the brutal journey all the way to Terre Haute or Greencastle (we all know they're right by St. Louis, after all!).

I can understand why someone can't go across the country. I can understand even better if someone chooses to not enter somewhere like Illinois. I don't understand why people balk at a 2-3 hour drive through Indiana (for instance to Boone County), especially for classes that 3-days long or longer. Either you want to participate in the class or you don't.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'd like to think I have more training than guns...but I really don't know off the top of my head how many guns I own. :D

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ...It's even more puzzling to me when people won't leave Hamilton County or Indianapolis to make the brutal journey all the way to Terre Haute or Greencastle (we all know they're right by St. Louis, after all!).

I can understand why someone can't go across the country. I can understand even better if someone chooses to not enter somewhere like Illinois. I don't understand why people balk at a 2-3 hour drive through Indiana (for instance to Boone County), especially for classes that 3-days long or longer. Either you want to participate in the class or you don't.

I'd like to think I have more training than guns...but I really don't know off the top of my head how many guns I own. :D

:): Both y'all rock. Just took inventory and ... found some guns I forgot about. Poor neglected children. Thought it was about even. The narrow gap will be closed this year, soon as I refill the tank.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    All I can say is, just don't let Rhino shoot your gun. It will make you want to take more training so that you can shoot your own gun that good. :bowdown:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Those present can attest that there was NO FREAKIN' WAY I was going to fire any more shots that day. Even the blind hog occasionally finds an acorn! Repeating that little feat would have been . . . unlikely. :D

I can also say that OneBadV8's gun is a really good shooter. I've never fired that make and model before, but I was duly impressed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All I can say is, just don't let Rhino shoot your gun. It will make you want to take more training so that you can shoot your own gun that good. :bowdown:

You were doing well yourself, sir. The groups you were shooting were tight from the beginning. Once you got the windage issue addressed, all was good! Keep your focus (both visual and mental) on the front sight and press ... good things will continue happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought this thread was somewhat funny when I subscribed a couple years ago. :)

Hmm, seems like I'm short a few guns I had planned to buy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom