• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    How does Mil training fit into this equation?

I have taken a couple of Civilian courses, however I have found them lacking at least for what I need to get out of them...

In the 3-4 courses that I have taken what they taught I will agree was good stuff for most Civilian shooters, but taught a lot of bad habits for a soldier...

Still looking for courses though. I really need to start looking for something geared to a retiring soldier to civilian mindset course...

Can you elaborate on that? What classes did you take? What were you looking for that was lacking? What bad habits did they teach that weren't applicable to your needs as a soldier?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can you elaborate on that? What classes did you take? What were you looking for that was lacking? What bad habits did they teach that weren't applicable to your needs as a soldier?

I can't speak directly for jeremy, but I'd assume that learning to work on the offensive is very different than working defensively.

I look forward to his response as well.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Esrice you are close to the answer... Most of the courses I have been to focus on Defensive Ops from a Civilian Mindset. And the Offensive Ops that were taught were from a LEA mindset. I am not overly concerned about trivial stuff like collateral damage...

But it also went into practices that would be fatal on the field of battle. Mostly minor stuff, Like worrying about where empty mags are, maintenance tips that require a shop to repair a firearm, to advocating shooting repeatedly at a target.

As a soldier it might be days before I can get to a shop for a repair. I can find my empty mags after the fire fight or get more when I get more ammo supplied. While on the Ammo subject don;t know when that might get filled so that 210 rounds that I started the week with might have to last more than a 15 minute fight... Rarely does my selector switch get put into the third spot. Experience has taught me that ammo is a very precious commodity. Sometimes worth more than Gold...

In planning a fight in the Military I try to follow the 5 S's Surprise, Security, Simplicity, Speed, and Severity of action. If you can manage to combine any 3 of these events you can overcome most actions.

Did that help or hurt?! It has been several years since I have gone back to a Civilian class... I imagine things have changed quite a bit...

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a friend that I have done some training with. He is military and one of the areas that we talked about was that most civilian training was focused on the individual and not a team. Another aspect is the supply issue especially during training, I don't have 1200 rds to blow off in a day...and I have a budget to worry about.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Over 50 guns and more taining than that!! but over 20 years in LEO plus 13 years as a firearms instructor, generaly take an instructor course once or twice a year

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Eight years of training as a LEO; that was 9 times a year at the range, once a year emergency vehicle operations, 3 times a year weapons retention, FATS, and surviving edged weapons. Add the class to read placards for hazardous materials and some training in stuff like street gang intervention, profiling and statistics.

Compare that to somewhere around 65 firearms, give or take one or two.

I don't know where I am at. From posting with Mercop, some of my training is out of date. Lots of my guns are old now. Who knows...

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm just a baby; I'm at two handguns, one rifle, an NRA Basic Pistol class, and an informal afternoon with a different (and pretty awesome) NRA instructor. I plan on taking a Concealed Carry class and hitting up an Appleseed in the near future, but by then I'll have inherited a shotgun and probably bought a new handgun, so... :dunno:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Steve is 100% correct about me being 100% correct.

Are you two done yet :D

Having said that, they're both right on here.

Jeremy, I don't know your training background, but from your comments it sounds like past history. Steve, Shay, and a few select others are training some pretty solid stuff.

I think I'm definitely in the more classes than guns camp. To me, knowledge is far more important than gear. Gear can be "acquired" at the time of need, skills are either already in place, or gone forever.

Tinman....

Last edited:

Aaron B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    SE MI
    Steve is 100% correct about me being 100% correct.

60% of the time, Steve is right everytime.

Add me to the list of more training than guns. It's always amusing to over hear "gun conversations" about how many different guns someone owns. I can't help but smirk at the "I have 500 rounds of X saved up" comments. 500 rounds might get you through the first day of a good class :D.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    13 + years of infantry training. Never taken any civilian classes though.

There is an interesting article in the current issue of SWAT magazine by a young man who was injured and disabled in combat in SW Asia while serving in the USMC. He discusses some of the differences between military training that most receive vs. the type of instruction one can receive in classes geared toward civilians.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    This is a new goal for me... Sold off the safe queens and plan on taking more training. I'll see some of you this year a few times I'm sure.

I'm still way behind though.

Top Bottom