• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, lets add a little twist to this debate.....

Team tactic drills..... would you or would you not; have you have you not shot around "a friendly" when fighting forward, falling back, moving forward/back from cover to cover ect ect ect

Nope. Nor do I ever expect to.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Looks like an accident waiting to happen but, that said, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.

I hope we all do, of course, realize that on a public range we're all at risk of being shot anytime we're not there alone right? I've seen people waving loaded firearms all over the place - pointing them down the line while trying to rack the slide, etc... There is a reason most ranges require you to sign a waiver.

Still, it's no reason to go out of your way to put yourself past the firing line. I agree that a tripod+remote would be ideal - setting this up during a cease fire and only retrieving it again during a cease fire.

I'm a photographer myself and I can't say I would put myself in that situation regardless.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Looks like an accident waiting to happen but, that said, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.

I hope we all do, of course, realize that on a public range we're all at risk of being shot anytime we're not there alone right? I've seen people waving loaded firearms all over the place - pointing them down the line while trying to rack the slide, etc... There is a reason most ranges require you to sign a waiver.

Still, it's no reason to go out of your way to put yourself past the firing line. I agree that a tripod+remote would be ideal - setting this up during a cease fire and only retrieving it again during a cease fire.

I'm a photographer myself and I can't say I would put myself in that situation regardless.

ONE more time... it's not about getting the picture...

There ya go.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Why not ???

Speaking for myself, because I do training for the purpose of avoiding getting myself or another innocent killed. I don't go to trainings where there is a willful substantial avoidable risk of accomplishing at least one of those things.

I find it to be "counterproductive," never mind the example it gives and the perceptions it brings..

Joe

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Looking through my old training pics I found this. Does the fact that it's rifles at a greater distance or angle make it any different? (we're advancing fwiw)

IMG_1086.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Looking through my old training pics I found this. Does the fact that it's rifles at a greater distance or angle make it any different? (they're advancing fwiw)

IMG_1086.jpg

To these people, it wouldn't matter if you stood 10 miles away. If you are anywhere except behind the imaginary line, it's too dangerous.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can't see myself having to do any "team tactic drills". Or even shooting over someone as they run to cover or advancing toward a target.

You never carry your gun when your wife is around? Ever thought about the possibility of needing to shoot past her?

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I can't see myself having to do any "team tactic drills". Or even shooting over someone as they run to cover or advancing toward a target.

Ok. That's your prerogative.

Don't take this as arguing with you, I'm not. Just food for thought.....

I can, without much effort, think of many situations were having some experience in teamwork could be VERY beneficial.....but that's just me.

Do you want to train for worst case scenario or train for the way you hope a gunfight would be ?????

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The drill isn't for everyone

That's the problem I have with this... IT'S NOT A DRILL. The downrange photographer is 1) not a part of the course of fire and 2) not a factor for all students in a given relay/class. As I have said before, if the intent was really to indoctrinate students to shooting in the presence of non-combatants, there would be someone downrange for every student on every CoF, or the course of fire would be something like the Hackathorn "snake drill".

Top Bottom