• other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Mods,
    Move this if you feel the need.
    I have 2 tables at the Linton show this weekend.
    I am a former cigarette smoker who is now on an E-Cig.
    Everything was going along fine, no complaints from customers until about 3 P.M. when the building custodian (mopboy) sees me doing it and says "THAT'S NOT PROPER". When I asked him what he meant by "not proper", he could not define it. His only defense was that a cigarette smoker might see me and decide it was OK for them to light up inside the armory

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mods,
    Move this if you feel the need.
    I have 2 tables at the Linton show this weekend.
    I am a former cigarette smoker who is now on an E-Cig.
    Everything was going along fine, no complaints from customers until about 3 P.M. when the building custodian (mopboy) sees me doing it and says "THAT'S NOT PROPER". When I asked him what he meant by "not proper", he could not define it. His only defense was that a cigarette smoker might see me and decide it was OK for them to light up inside the armory

I can kind of see his point. Still looks like you are blowing smoke...

If there is a problem with the e-cig then I am sure the event staff will shut it down.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    There will always be people who view vaping the same as smoking. If I'm in an area that I think there will be issues, I'll hold the vapor in for a few seconds and inhale a second time before exhaling. It's like the CC of the vapor world. :D

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    As an ex smoker, I am not a fan of E-Cigs. Granted it is not smoking, but while working in a small enclosed office for a day with someone that used an E-Cig, I was surprised to find myself with a nicotine buzz, and ended up craving a cig for several days afterword. No you may not be blowing smoke, but that vapor you see in the air carries an unhealthy dose of nicotine to all of the lungs breathing it.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I tried to explain that to mopboy. His only reply is it's not proper.He went to the promoter who (correctly) told him that it was legal. I told a customer about it who has never smoked and his reply was "He complained about you blowing water vapor"?. You weren't there, this is a civil servant that thinks he has some kind of authority over a civilian event.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I can kind of see his point. Still looks like you are blowing smoke...

If there is a problem with the e-cig then I am sure the event staff will shut it down.
    I guess what kinda P'd me off was the fact that when mopboy saw me vaping it was 6 hours into the show and NOBODY had complained. Had a lot of questions from current smokers about E-Cigs and how they were working for me. I guess you just had to be there.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    A lot of companies consider the e cigarette as a regular there for is not allowed indoor at many of this companies, they are not allowed at many public places either.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    A lot of companies consider the e cigarette as a regular there for is not allowed indoor at many of this companies, they are not allowed at many public places either.

Understood. However it is not illegal in Linton / Greene County and there is no written rule against it at the venue. The whole issue is that "mopboy" has a personal problem with it.
    P.S. I was never able to get him to explain the phrase "not proper".

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Understood. However it is not illegal in Linton / Greene County and there is no written rule against it at the venue. The whole issue is that "mopboy" has a personal problem with it.
    P.S. I was never able to get him to explain the phrase "not proper".

My Opinion as I don't know the OP is that just because it is not illegal or against the rules doesn't mean it is "proper". I have a issues with smoking in public, my 10 year old typically comes along to shows with me and I am appalled at just how rude "some" smokers are. They stand as close to the door as they can puffing away, inhale and run through the door so they can exhale inside the building. Why do I and my child have to inhale your poisons? Why does my son, have to hold his breath to walk past people? I get the entire your rights / my right deal...and therefore we just deal and hold our breath but personally I find it "not proper". Then you add "vaping" and smokers somehow believe it is safer (still has the poisons) and they can then do it anywhere. Your right its not illegal or against the rules (hopefully this will change) but I guarantee you will never get any of my business when you expose me and mine to health risks. What you do personally is up to you but why must I be impacted by it unwillingly? (we all have to share this planet and sometimes common curtsy needs to rule even if not illegal)

Again not targeting the OP just trying to give some context behind why he might have said it was "not proper".

Let the flaming commence.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    E cigs are made of 4 main ingredients

pg and vg which are deemed safe by the FDA
    Your flavor
    and lastly nicotine

studies have shown that after all this is recycled by the human lungs you would have to be around a vapor for 3 hours while they are chain vaping to consume 1 microgram of nicotine which has no effects on anyone. You will get more nicotine from eating things such as eggplant, tomatoes, and cauliflower.

Its simple when I am in public such as a restaurant or movie theater I just hold it on and no vaper comes out.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    As Croy said.... I'll second his post... I use an E-cig... you aren't going to get a "buzz" from the vapor... it evaporates pretty quickly and there are no chemicals in it like there is in cigarette smoke. Besides nicotine that is.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I think we should outlaw everything that irritates me.

I'm an ex-smoker and I think the objections to E-smoke sound more like this to me ^^^^^^^^. Some people just can't leave others alone even when there is no harm to them. They are like a lot of the anti-gun folks. I call them Busybodies.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    My Opinion as I don't know the OP is that just because it is not illegal or against the rules doesn't mean it is "proper". I have a issues with smoking in public, my 10 year old typically comes along to shows with me and I am appalled at just how rude "some" smokers are. They stand as close to the door as they can puffing away, inhale and run through the door so they can exhale inside the building. Why do I and my child have to inhale your poisons? Why does my son, have to hold his breath to walk past people? I get the entire your rights / my right deal...and therefore we just deal and hold our breath but personally I find it "not proper". Then you add "vaping" and smokers somehow believe it is safer (still has the poisons) and they can then do it anywhere. Your right its not illegal or against the rules (hopefully this will change) but I guarantee you will never get any of my business when you expose me and mine to health risks. What you do personally is up to you but why must I be impacted by it unwillingly? (we all have to share this planet and sometimes common curtsy needs to rule even if not illegal)

Again not targeting the OP just trying to give some context behind why he might have said it was "not proper".

I always get a kick out of shooters worried about smoke. If you shoot you are exposing yourself to powder residue, projectile lead, lead styphnate in the primer and if you shoot corrosive ammo, probably mercury fulminate. It's all about acceptable risk. It's more about the media driven change of perception toward smoking. This change in public perception is the the goal of anti-gun people.
    Edit to add; "mop boy":lmfao:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    As an ex smoker, I am not a fan of E-Cigs. Granted it is not smoking, but while working in a small enclosed office for a day with someone that used an E-Cig, I was surprised to find myself with a nicotine buzz, and ended up craving a cig for several days afterword. No you may not be blowing smoke, but that vapor you see in the air carries an unhealthy dose of nicotine to all of the lungs breathing it.

this just shows an ignorance to what the vapor really is. You did not get a buzz from them, thats damn near impossible under the situation you describe.

. Then you add "vaping" and smokers somehow believe it is safer (still has the poisons) and they can then do it anywhere. Your right its not illegal or against the rules (hopefully this will change) but I guarantee you will never get any of my business when you expose me and mine to health risks.

You also show a bias towards "smoking" because you expose your son to a whole lot worse stuff than whats coming out of the vaporizers elsewhere, yet i dont see you asking for ammunition manufactures to get rid of their "poison"

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:rolleyes:..........JEEbus.............:rolleyes:..............

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I always get a kick out of shooters worried about smoke. If you shoot you are exposing yourself to powder residue, projectile lead, lead styphnate in the primer and if you shoot corrosive ammo, probably mercury fulminate. It's all about acceptable risk. It's more about the media driven change of perception toward smoking. This change in public perception is the the goal of anti-gun people.
    Edit to add; "mop boy":lmfao:

The difference is smoking is your choice imposed on others...shooting is my choice imposed on me.

Top Bottom