• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm suggesting those portable speed signs are likely capturing more data than vehicle speed. I have no proof, but to @actaeon277's point, it seems unlikely a department would pay for multiple units, maintain them, shuffle them all over town if their only purpose was to display a driver's speed. They clearly save data because departments sometimes declare 'high speeds', 'avg speed', etc. that are captured. Maybe they are only used for altruistic purposes. Color me skeptical.
    They are a simple and relatively cheap way to slow down drivers after neighborhood complaints, schools opening, or near parks. Officers I have talked with say their departments are stretched too thin to spend officers time on speed enforcement and from what I see it seems so, I see far fewer officers using radar than just five years ago.

I suspect they do keep track of speeds but I do not see any cameras on them for additional data.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Apples and oranges. COE facilities =/= state parks.
    It says State parks and Reservoirs….so it applies it not just state parks!

“A person may possess a handgun at DNR State Parks & Reservoir properties with the exceptions of properties that have land leased from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (e.g., Mississinewa, Salamonie, Patoka, Brookville, Cagles Mill, Cecil M. Harden and Monroe lakes) or at Falls of the Ohio State Park.”

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It says State parks and Reservoirs….so it applies it not just state parks!

“A person may possess a handgun at DNR State Parks & Reservoir properties with the exceptions of properties that have land leased from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (e.g., Mississinewa, Salamonie, Patoka, Brookville, Cagles Mill, Cecil M. Harden and Monroe lakes) or at Falls of the Ohio State Park.”
    Yes, and your quote even says that Corps of Engineers properties are a no go zone.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We should fix this through our congress critters.

It'd be a bad idea to keep waiting for a test case from some "unlucky" person who was smart enough to understand that self-defense of themselves and theirs is their own responsibility.

The feds don't have any business dictating with unconstitutional "laws" in Indiana anyway. The Post Office would be another example. This is a long time problem that needs addressed.

:nono:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

It'd be a bad idea to keep waiting for a test case from some "unlucky" person who was smart enough to understand that self-defense of themselves and theirs is their own responsibility.

The feds don't have any business dictating with unconstitutional "laws" in Indiana anyway. The Post Office would be another example. This is a long time problem that needs addressed.

Good luck with that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Funny thing is the last major expansion of ability to carry on federal property was under Obama, when Nat'l Parks (other than interior of buildings) became allowed. Our bestest buddy A+ NRA rated Republicans haven't seen fit to do anything when they had the ability to do so. It's almost like they don't care. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I don't understand the sensitivity associated with the COE areas. Why would the presence of a gun matter in the woods or at/on a reservoir? A state park is ok unless the property is leased from COE, then it's a no-go. It makes no sense. It seems to me, if the state sets the admission costs, sets hours, allowed activities, issues permits, etc., then it should adhere to state laws, re: guns.

I've docked two different boats at Monroe year round. I assure you, there are plenty of guns present. In my experience, most guys aren't aware they're not allowed on COE property. Once aware, the response varied.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... A+ NRA rated Republicans haven't seen fit to do anything when they had the ability to do so. It's almost like they don't care. :dunno:

Sadly, it's more like WE don't care. :(

Our "republicans" are only motived by how much pressure they receive from us. They have to understand that their future in congress will be short should they not represent their voters, as their job dictates.

WE are very very bad about organizing the pressure on congress to accomplish our goals.

Funny you mention the NRA and Obama. Back when The NRA rating was something respected and feared among ALL politicians, Obama, dems and all the anti's were very careful about their approach to our strong NRA presence.

It's the perfect example of WE eating our own vs organizing to accomplish legislation. Are WE happy now that we can no longer trust "our own" republicans to legislate our wishes, much less even some dems who had to claim (and vote,) pro-gun, just to keep their job?

How good are dems at organizing to push their bazaar insane agenda, much less oppose our constitutionally based one?

:soapbox:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sadly, it's more like WE don't care. :(

Our "republicans" are only motived by how much pressure they receive from us.

Which is none. They know if guns are your issue you'll vote for them no matter what. Even if they do ban bump stocks or the like, apologists will still 'lesser of two evils' them out of it. Same as Democrats don't actually push through an AWB when they can and just throw out a few feckless XOs.

If either did what they said they wanted to do, what would they dangle come next election? The status quo suits them both, they can both pretend they want to move the needle then forget about it when they can.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I thought this thread was going to be something like, they drained the d*** and didn't find any guns.
    The "no guns on Army engineers property" is really just their way to close the "lost in a boating accident" loophole.
    :-)

The title would have been: "Monroe Lake. Damn, no guns!"

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Which is none. They know if guns are your issue you'll vote for them no matter what. Even if they do ban bump stocks or the like, apologists will still 'lesser of two evils' them out of it. Same as Democrats don't actually push through an AWB when they can and just throw out a few feckless XOs.

If either did what they said they wanted to do, what would they dangle come next election? The status quo suits them both, they can both pretend they want to move the needle then forget about it when they can.
    Yup.
    Politicians who would actually solve problems would have nothing left to whine about as the very problems they need to help solve while campaigning. Their very livelihood depends on NOT solving problems.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

This just ignores the reality on the ground. The dems are a monolith, repubs are from staunch conservative to dem light. I have an entire thread devoted to this topic that has several linked articles that explain the phenomenon.

Then the whole “they” had chances to do things but didn’t, our gun allies had the hearing reduction act in place to pass and the momentum was destroyed by a mass shooting, but we can’t let facts get in the way of INGO complaining…

retyree98

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I am the first to admit that I don't know how to fix our political mess. I think the starting point is getting rid of judges for life and adding term limits to all elected offices. How does one convince the fox to limit his visits to the hen house? We can't even shame the local elected officials from voting them selves raises...It seems to me that even those friendly to my issues, let me down when it counts. There are just so many reasons that we can't hold our politicians responsible. The parties control who we can vote for and make it difficult for an outsider to get on the ballot. If we can fix some of these items, then maybe we can control some of the bureaucratic edicts like not allowing guns on federal properties.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I'm really not sure how one could look at the history of 2A laws and conclude that Democrats are not willing and fully prepared to push any and all curtailments on firearms that they think they can get away with. Fortunately for us, it is not nearly as easy to pass such laws now, at least not without the likelihood of them paying too high of a cost politically. Unfortunately, that just causes many of us be less vigilant and active in our efforts to protect and expand our 2A rights and gives plenty of excuses to those of us who look for any reason not to vote or advocate for our rights.

As for 'the lesser or two evils', I have to wonder if those that waste electrons lamenting it go through life actually making the worst possible choice when presented with multiple options that they do not like (or more accurately in this case, multiple options that are simply not perfect for them) as they advocate for doing in politics. Unlike life choices, political ones do not often provide the immediate, clear, and direct feedback necessary to correct such ideas in that realm though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm really not sure how one could look at the history of 2A laws and conclude that Democrats are not willing and fully prepared to push any and all curtailments on firearms that they think they can get away with.

The last significant restriction on gun rights that touches us in Indiana right now was passed under St. Reagan. When Dems had majorities in House and Senate and POTUS, what did we get? Last time Reps had the same, what did we get?

Dems aren't any more monolithic than Republicans and gun control has taken a back seat to other social issues, they still remember the Clinton AWB pushback.

I'm more concerned with centrists than extremists on either side, a wishy-washy "one of us" is harder for Republicans to stonewall than a hard core "one of them" Dem that they can paint as the Greatest Evil Of Our Time (until next time) for political gain.

St. Reagan is the first POTUS I was old enough to remember, before talk radio and social media and mega-advocacy groups trying to reach in your pocket yet again told us we needed to constantly run around the table with our hair on fire. Some 40 years later...meh. States' legislatures and SCOTUS matter more at this point than whoever CA and NJ send to Congress.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The last significant restriction on gun rights that touches us in Indiana right now was passed under St. Reagan. When Dems had majorities in House and Senate and POTUS, what did we get? Last time Reps had the same, what did we get?

Dems aren't any more monolithic than Republicans and gun control has taken a back seat to other social issues, they still remember the Clinton AWB pushback.

I'm more concerned with centrists than extremists on either side, a wishy-washy "one of us" is harder for Republicans to stonewall than a hard core "one of them" Dem that they can paint as the Greatest Evil Of Our Time (until next time) for political gain.

St. Reagan is the first POTUS I was old enough to remember, before talk radio and social media and mega-advocacy groups trying to reach in your pocket yet again told us we needed to constantly run around the table with our hair on fire. Some 40 years later...meh. States' legislatures and SCOTUS matter more at this point than whoever CA and NJ send to Congress.
    The AWB of the 90's would likely still be the law without the sunset clause inserted into it. However, a lack or more recent success is neither indicative of an unwillingness to continue to try to push gun control nor predicative of continual failure in pushing it. Worse, such a view either fails to take into account the efforts to stave off numerous federal and state gun control efforts since or dismisses them summarily without due credit. Nor does it take into account that Democrats have taken to disguising gun control within other bills or simply moved the push it into other arenas.

Unfortunately our attention spans are short and success promotes complacency. That complacency will eventually ensure that more federal gun control is passed. Until that time, the Democrats are more than willing to fight easier fights and take easier wins on other issues. This is probably a good opportunity to point out that "The 'Issue' is never the issue, the issue is always control". While the Democrat Party is many less than admirable things, a lack of persistence and determination isn't among those flaws. Nor is the ability to plan and execute long term strategy.

Top Bottom