• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You can use Rifles on public land for deer but it has to be a certain case length and bullet diameter!
    I meant traditional centerfire rifle calibers, not rifles chambered in handgun calibers (or the wildcat calibers made to get around the caliber restriction).

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    I meant traditional centerfire rifle calibers, not rifles chambered in handgun calibers (or the wildcat calibers made to get around the caliber restriction).
    Yeah that how rifles got started then we went to traditional HP rounds everywhere but public land…. Crazy!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Did you get the High Score?

View attachment 356646
    We had one of those trailers on the main drag through my old subdivision. At the monthly town council meeting, in the PDs report, they published details from the week it was out there.

The high speed was like 72mph. Someone was trying to see just how fast they could get it...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We had one of those trailers on the main drag through my old subdivision. At the monthly town council meeting, in the PDs report, they published details from the week it was out there.

The high speed was like 72mph. Someone was trying to see just how fast they could get it...

We have two on 57th. One for each direction.

I think if the town is buying these devices which CAN'T do anything other than show the speed, then the town has too much money to blow on stuff.

Or, if you REALLY want to slow things down, why isn't it on the main thoroughfare?
    I guess this is so they can say they are slowing down the residential traffic.

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Good to know! Is "self defense" generally a reason they accept? Or do they usually only grant with special circumstances?
    All you need is a valid driver's license, plus IN LTCH/ equivalent or LE credentials to complete the application. This is what is accepted. You do not need any reason or is that requested. The letter provides permission to possess/carry a loaded firearm in a concealed manner. If interested I would call, set up appt, as application has to be in person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    these devices which CAN'T do anything other than show the speed
    I'm of the opinion those signs can do quite a bit more than show the speed.

I did not proceed because I wasn't certain what the legal aspect. I contacted my district representative Erin Houchin via her website to see if she could find out who placed it there and if it's legal. Indiana passed the permit less carry bill HEA 1296-2022, about two years ago.

View attachment 356022
    I read that sign each time I walk past it...

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    IF you are worried about it, simply call USACE at Monroe Lake or stop by their office at the dam. You can then apply for a written letter of permission from USACE Louisville District for you to carry at Monroe or any other USACE reservoir in Indiana. It's a simple process.
    Is this a while-you-wait process, or do they mail that letter to you later?

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Since I found out that Lake Monroe is a gun free zone, I haven't been back. I am not willing to go unarmed in a remote area with a high amount of drunks/meth heads without a pistol. I understand keeping it hidden unless its a life or death situation, but I also understand that carrying a gun illegally looks bad to a jury if everything goes wrong and you end up in court. And to be honest, I'd rather not risk putting my life in the hands of a Monroe county jury.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Since I found out that Lake Monroe is a gun free zone, I haven't been back. I am not willing to go unarmed in a remote area with a high amount of drunks/meth heads without a pistol. I understand keeping it hidden unless its a life or death situation, but I also understand that carrying a gun illegally looks bad to a jury if everything goes wrong and you end up in court. And to be honest, I'd rather not risk putting my life in the hands of a Monroe county jury.

Read the thread. You don't have to go unarmed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You may be thinking of the flock license plate cameras.
    I'm suggesting those portable speed signs are likely capturing more data than vehicle speed. I have no proof, but to @actaeon277's point, it seems unlikely a department would pay for multiple units, maintain them, shuffle them all over town if their only purpose was to display a driver's speed. They clearly save data because departments sometimes declare 'high speeds', 'avg speed', etc. that are captured. Maybe they are only used for altruistic purposes. Color me skeptical.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm suggesting those portable speed signs are likely capturing more data than vehicle speed. I have no proof, but to @actaeon277's point, it seems unlikely a department would pay for multiple units, maintain them, shuffle them all over town if their only purpose was to display a driver's speed. They clearly save data because departments sometimes declare 'high speeds', 'avg speed', etc. that are captured. Maybe they are only used for altruistic purposes. Color me skeptical.
    No need to suggest, simply see my earlier post in this thread, that proves it! They capture max speed, average speed, etc. All around vehicle speed and number of vehicles, nothing personal or license plate related.

Many departments publish this data, you just need to know where to look.

Very different than the Flock license plate cameras...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom