• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Then what do you care what other people do if it's not hurting you or something you care about?

Honestly, I'm a bit of a Devil's advocate, but really, ever since the walmart debacle were some schmuck got shot by police while carrying a toy rifle, I'm just trying to open your eyes to the possibility that it's not the best option, as far as constitutional activism goes. There's nothing stopping some yahoo from the anti-gun crowd from calling the police saying you're threatening them with a rifle, and things go south, quickly.

As for the civil litigation thing, as I said before, we live in an extremely litigious nation. People can and do file lawsuits for anything and everything. I mean, if some lady can get 2 mil for burning her snatch with hot coffee, you honestly believe some moron couldn't think something up against an O/C'er?

Food for thought, that's all.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Honestly, I'm a bit of a Devil's advocate, but really, ever since the walmart debacle were some schmuck got shot by police while carrying a toy rifle, I'm just trying to open your eyes to the possibility that it's not the best option, as far as constitutional activism goes. There's nothing stopping some yahoo from the anti-gun crowd from calling the police saying you're threatening them with a rifle, and things go south, quickly.
    So you are taking the "it hurts the cause" tack. Well, now that you've contradicted yourself....

Here's the thing: it's legal and I am not making anybody else do it by force. So whether or not you think it's a poor decision for me personally or as it relates to the cause, it doesn't really matter. You have no say in the matter.

As for the civil litigation thing, as I said before, we live in an extremely litigious nation. People can and do file lawsuits for anything and everything. I mean, if some lady can get 2 mil for burning her snatch with hot coffee, you honestly believe some moron couldn't think something up against an O/C'er?
    Find me a civil lawsuit someone filed against an individual for OCing and we'll talk. Otherwise, you're just pulling shat out of your arse.

Food for thought, that's all.
    Contrary to the implications of this comment, I am capable of, and have considered and rejected, the arguments you are championing.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So you are taking the "it hurts the cause" tack. Well, now that you've contradicted yourself....

I've not, nor have I ever said it hurts the cause. Re-read what I wrote.

You need to get it out of your mind that I'm against open carry. I'm not.

What I'm saying is, you're not going to change someone's mind by being confrontational on an issue.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I left Kroger a note at https://www.kroger.com/customercomments, gave them all my info, including Kroger Card number, and advised them that I will not patronize stores that are un-American and Constitution-hating. I shop at Kroger a LOT and asked them to verify this by looking up my purchase history. I applauded them for this statement:

...and asked that they continue to defer to local laws when making store policies, and I would continue to patronize their fine stores.
    That's a great idea. I'll do the same.

I've saved $905.46 using my Kroger plus card, this year alone, according to the receipt I got today. That doesn't even count all the money saved on "manager markdowns." I picked up 12 loaves of bread for $.50/loaf today. We shop there 3-4 days/week, so you can imagine how much we spend there.

You have no common sense if you are carrying an AR15 into a coffee shop like it's Iraq.

I carry daily, but I realize that I don't live in a war zone. Try to have some common sense. It's idiots like the ones carrying AR's around like they're in a war zone that get us all labled as "crazy gun toting idiots."

The old saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should" applies very well here.

Good to see there are still gun butters here.

I'm going to reply to this only, because I don't have the time or will to disseminate your post further.

I, personally, do not see someone with a gun as grounds for panic. I don't.

But the majority of everyone else does.

Majority being key term here.

Yes, you, we, are the minority in this situation, and as the minority, you will be persecuted for taking actions outside of the norm. You, and you alone, will be the one to have to deal with the consequences.

As I said previously. You want to open carry a rifle and cause panic? So be it, but be prepared to get pestered by police.
    I've proven I can handle being pestered by police for lawful activity. Can you?
    And an fyi, while you're not doing anything criminally wrong, you open yourself for lawsuits civilly. So be prepared to spend money on defending yourself in court, even though any possible lawsuit will be asinine in nature. We live in a very litigious country.

That's not the way it works. Lawsuits for getting illegally harassed by police go the other way around.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Open carry activists stole the spotlight in California....look how well that worked out for them.

You know that their actions forced California to issue concealed pistol licenses, right? So it actually did work out for them.

I'm pretty sure we've gone around this tree before.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I must say I really don't see the need for anyone carrying a rifle into a Kroger store. Notwithstanding all of our Second Amendment rights, for the life of me I just can't find the rationalization or justification. Quite frankly if I felt I had to carry an AR or similar platform to a grocery store I think I'll choose to find a different place to shop. The last I checked the field of fire in the aisles of a supermarket are far short of the capability of most rifles and I would think a handgun would be a far better choice for close quarter engagement requiring the use of a firearm. If my assailant is far enough away I need a rifle he's probably far enough away I can make a run for it in the other direction.

It's fine to leave it in your trunk, but it's difficult to lock an AK to a bicycle.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I re-visited MDA's facebook page and, deliciously, they are in a huge panic over losing this round. My ability to comment has been removed and I can only read comments now, not post new ones. I'm reading multiple comments from hoplophobic people (mostly women) saying they will abandon their carts, even if full, and leave immediately if they see a gun. I'm also seeing many racist statements like "If that guy with the rifle were black he'd be dead right now." This is truly disgusting.

From my perspective, it's not what the carrier (long gun or handgun) looks like, it's how he or she is behaving. Would my antennae go up seeing a rifle in a retail store? Yes. But hanging from a sling would not bother me a bit. Seeing a rifle shouldered (including at low ready) will have me seeking cover and reaching for my own weapon.

And for all those who misuse the term "low ready" it means SHOULDERED with muzzle down. STOP misidentifying other methods of rifle carry as low-ready:

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Rifle Shooting Positions: Ready Positions

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I was "banned" a long time ago from the MDA page. On the weekend I open Carry my 1911 because it's more comfortable then carrying it in an IWB holster. I would love to see people running from me when I carry.
    My GF thinks she will get my pistol off my hip one day. I think I will get one on her hip before she gets mine of my hip.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've not, nor have I ever said it hurts the cause. Re-read what I wrote.

I did. I stand by my comment.

You need to get it out of your mind that I'm against open carry. I'm not.
    You most certainly are. You have repeatedly said it's a bad idea.

What I'm saying is, you're not going to change someone's mind by being confrontational on an issue.
    It's oh so more likely that I'll change their minds by not doing anything at all, is that it?

There is nothing confrontational about OCing.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    You most certainly are. You have repeatedly said it's a bad idea.

You can try to twist this to support your view all you want, but the fact remains.

I have NEVER said I was against open carry. I've said it's a bad idea while confronting people during constitutional activism.

It's oh so more likely that I'll change their minds by not doing anything at all, is that it?
    Oh, I dunno, enlighten them to the fact that it's legal, which most don't know it is? Hand out copies of the constitution? There are numerous ways.

There is nothing confrontational about OCing.

Gun owners, this includes you and me, may not conceive open carrying of a rifle as non confrontational, but non-gun owners see it differently. They are swayed by a very biased news media.

So while we see it as harmless, they see it as a threatening. We can't possibly change their minds while being threatening to them. Remember, we NEED to change the public opinion in a positive way, because the mainstream media is against us.

threat·en·ingˈTHretn-iNG/
    adjective

• having a hostile or deliberately frightening quality or manner.

synonyms:menacing, intimidating, bullying, frightening, hostile; formalminatory
      "a threatening letter"
      • LAW
        (of behavior) showing an intention to cause bodily harm.
      • (of a person or situation) causing someone to feel vulnerable or at risk.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You can try to twist this to support your view all you want, but the fact remains.

I have NEVER said I was against open carry. I've said it's a bad idea while confronting people during constitutional activism.
    You are opposed to the efforts of OCing as a means of activism and/or exercising one's rights. How are you not opposed to it?

By the way, did you catch the part where you made it about being bad for "the cause" in your comment?

Oh, I dunno, enlighten them to the fact that it's legal, which most don't know it is? Hand out copies of the constitution? There are numerous ways.

You know nothing about human nature, do you?

Gun owners, this includes you and me, may not conceive open carrying of a rifle as non confrontational, but non-gun owners see it differently. They are swayed by a very biased news media.

So while we see it as harmless, they see it as a threatening. We can't possibly change their minds while being threatening to them. Remember, we NEED to change the public opinion in a positive way, because the mainstream media is against us.

Explain to me how someone who's only exposure to firearms is through the evil media is going to have any reason to change his mind? People NEED to see that firearms aren't evil and this can only happen when good people carry them so that people can see them. You will not change the media or the people by not putting it in front of them.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    You are opposed to the efforts of OCing as a means of activism and/or exercising one's rights. How are you not opposed to it?

I feel it's a bad idea to confront people about it while carrying a rifle, because they see you as a threat, even though you feel you are not one. So while you may sway one or two people, the vast majority of them that are brainwashed by the media will find you threatening.

Explain to me how someone who's only exposure to firearms is through the evil media is going to have any reason to change his mind? People NEED to see that firearms aren't evil and this can only happen when good people carry them so that people can see them. You will not change the media or the people by not putting it in front of them.

This is where it's good to be apart of a club that supports activism, because you can throw an open invitational to have them come and see for themselves.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The difference is, carrying around a rifle in public will cause a panic, just like my fat *** in a thong. Common sense dictates not to do it, even though you can.

You might note that none of the long gun open carry events resulted in a panic. Nobody panicked in Target. Nobody panicked in Sonic. Or Chilis. Or Kroger. Or Starbucks.

The only people panicking here are the gun butters.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

You know when you compare it to Iraq, or to a 300-lb man in a thong, then say you're not against it, you're sending mixed messages.

Get on one side or the other, and own your position.

Sitting on a fence can be painful.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    You know when you compare it to Iraq, or to a 300-lb man in a thong, then say you're not against it, you're sending mixed messages.

Get on one side or the other, and own your position.

Sitting on a fence can be painful.

My analogy, while asinine, was not meant to be taken as anti o/c. If you construed it as such, I apologize. FYI, I never mentioned Iraq, that was someone else.

I'm merely trying to point out that, while we as gun owners don't see these as possible threats, non-gun owners do.

And you're not going to change their minds if they find you threatening.

Activism requires a bit of empathy to see their side of the argument, so you know how to properly quell those feelings, and sway their minds.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Moms? group wants Kroger to ban open carry of guns | WISH-TV
    “Our motto is for this campaign – “Groceries Not Guns” – So we want a safe environment when we are shopping,” said Melanie Sokhey, the Indiana chapter lead for the group.
    Sokhey said the group has more than 900 members in Indiana.

Sounds like it's the 900+ members that don't feel safe when shopping at Kroger. Uh, they're speaking on the behalf of thousands+ people they've never met (that shop there) and don't have the slightest clue what these shoppers opinions are. "We", is the 900+ members.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    My analogy, while asinine, was not meant to be taken as anti o/c. If you construed it as such, I apologize. FYI, I never mentioned Iraq, that was someone else.
    yup sorry, that wasn't you. You did say, "Common sense dictates not to do it" which seems pretty unequivocal.
    I'm merely trying to point out that, while we as gun owners don't see these as possible threats, non-gun owners do.

And you're not going to change their minds if they find you threatening.

Activism requires a bit of empathy to see their side of the argument, so you know how to properly quell those feelings, and sway their minds.

I think they're doing a pretty good job of getting their message out there. No need for gun butters to take their side.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom