• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    That letter makes a really good point that the FEDS could have served as negotiators and facilitators of a public meeting, and at least shown more of an effort to do something about the situation that put the Hammonds in jail ie
    "This is an obvious case of why mandatory minimums aren't always good. Let's ask the president for clemency and work to get this law changed. Let's also action listen to grievances about grazing rights and see whether priority can return to something similar to the separate agency that used to take priority for that. "

.... or something

All that being said, my totally amateur armchair opinion wondered before if it wasn't a reasonable idea to just arrest some of these guys while they were out on the road. And that's what was done. So while it may not have been the perfect choice, I don't have any room for criticism. It seems a lot more likely to cause bloodshed if they confronted them at the compound.

I do agree with IndyDave that we have criminals within our own government. That is why things like this will eventually gain more supporters. It will probaly ultimately be an attempt at gun confiscation that will bring things to a head though. Or perhaps severe economic problems where the government can no longer provide "carrots" without offending more people with "sticks". Because Americans on the whole just don't care about freedom and independence anymore.

I do think they need to release the video and hope it accurately portrays what happened.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was watching the BBC world news on PBS the other evening and they showed a couple of the people being handcuffed. So there is video out there. I also noted that several of the Feds appeared to have cameras on their tactical helmets. Release the video.

To me the mandatory minimum wasn't as much the issue as that the people were sentenced, served their time, were released and then ordered to go back again. That just didn't seem right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was watching the BBC world news on PBS the other evening and they showed a couple of the people being handcuffed. So there is video out there. I also noted that several of the Feds appeared to have cameras on their tactical helmets. Release the video.

To me the mandatory minimum wasn't as much the issue as that the people were sentenced, served their time, were released and then ordered to go back again. That just didn't seem right.

Shockingly enough, I agree. They never should have been required to go back to prison once they were released. That has got to wreck havoc on the mind. I think a cruel and unusual defense would be justified.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

It also stinks like hell that part of the plea agreement, only one side of which was honored, required that if the Hammonds sold their ranch, they had to sell it to the federal government. I see no way in the universe that this is acceptable, it would appear that the rest of the deal was bait to lock this in, and even after that much dirty treatment, then the feds reneged on the deal. It leads a person to wonder if the remainder of the agreement is null and void.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    When I see Lon Horiuchi swing from a five-stranded hemp rope administered by the federal government I will take this seriously, and not 3/16 of a second sooner.
    I agree that Mr. Horiuchi should be in jail for murder. There's a lot of injustice in the world and that's just one example. But I don't take that one injustice and use it as an excuse to stop being a nation of laws.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree that Mr. Horiuchi should be in jail for murder. There's a lot of injustice in the world and that's just one example. But I don't take that one injustice and use it as an excuse to stop being a nation of laws.

You're right. That is just one convenient example who happened to get away with the same thing multiple times in at least two major incidents. More significant is the way he got out from under the Idaho charges.

You cannot have a nation of laws when only one side is expected to follow the law.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You don't think a restriction on media access during a potential tactical situation is appropriate? Surely you realize the media doesn't take tactical considerations to mind when they have a big juicy story.
    Needless to say, I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

How many reporters goes into active warzones?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

How about when that injustice is institutionalized in our laws? Doesn't there come a point when the only legitimate course of action involves "other means"?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How many reporters goes into active warzones?

They're the equivalent of reporters that film episodes of COPS. How many reporters go into action with the Green Berets conducting an op? And if you say "none," why is that?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How hard could it be to keep up with a chubby dog with flippers?

funny-seal-06.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Cant tell if he was possibly going for a gun before or after he was getting shot at. Need to hear this synced to sound from other cameras as to when the first shot was.

This will play out both ways, depending on which side one supports. He did almost smoke an agent with the truck tho.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    This will play out both ways, depending on which side one supports.

I'd just like to hear when that first shot was. His hands were awful high getting out of the truck and walking into the open.

He did almost smoke an agent with the truck tho.

Looked as if the agent was trying to garner Darwinism of the year award jumping out that direction.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    This will play out both ways, depending on which side one supports. He did almost smoke an agent with the truck tho.

Apparently that agent was planning on stopping that truck with his genitals of steel.

agree that some better footage is needed. it does look like he was reaching possibly for a gunshot wound. But hell, i'm sitting on my couch half way across the country.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom