• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If Pence wins both Senate and his house seat, then his house district has to have another special election to fill his vacated position. So, the conservatives end up with one less vote in the house until that happens. According to this site: that could easily be up to 60 days if not longer.

No he won't. He's barred:

IC 3-8-7-19
    Names to appear only once on ballot; candidate for federal office and Vice President
    Sec. 19. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the name of a person who has been nominated as a candidate for an elected office may not appear in more than one (1) place on a ballot.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No he won't. He's barred:

IC 3-8-7-19
    Names to appear only once on ballot; candidate for federal office and Vice President
    Sec. 19. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the name of a person who has been nominated as a candidate for an elected office may not appear in more than one (1) place on a ballot.

Woohoo! Thanks for being laywerly. (I was too lazy to go that deep - looking at IC makes my poor little photographer brain short out).

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Pence is Progun...

Nuff said.

Sorry, Mike Pence is not pro-2A enough for me. He recently came and spoke to the Christian school that my church runs. I heard him say in person that while he supports the 2nd Amendment he also doesn't agree that there should be absolutely no restrictions. When pressed for an explanation because were some really pro-2A people in attendance, Congressman Pence said that he doesn't believe private citizens should have access to the same firepower that the police and military have.(i.e. automatic weapons)

This is one reason I support Richard Behney and would prefer to see that Mike Pence stays where he is in the House.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :+1:
    Following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Congressman Pence was appointed to the Judiciary Committee. In his time on the Judiciary Committee, Pence participated in drafting the Patriot Act and legislation creating the Department of Homeland Security. Then in 2005 Pence voted to make the Patriot Act Permanent.

Mike Pence is not someone I will be voting for. I will probably give Behney my vote.

Thanks for the info WWIIIDefender. I used to like Bayh, till I found out that Goldman Sachs is one of his biggest donors. I didn't know too much about Pence though.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Can we choose neither? I have mixed feelings about having Mike Pence run against Evan Bayh. I live in the 6th district and have been pleased to have Mr. Pence representing our district in Washington, D.C.

He would definitely make things hard for Evan Bayh if not win outright. My problem is that I have been keeping an eye on Richard Behney and Marlin Stutzman and was really hoping either one would win the GOP primary in the spring. With Mr. Pence in the mix, I fear he would be the easy frontrunner in the race and thereby trounce the "little guys" like Stutzman and Behney who are no less conservative.

Here is Stutzman's campaign website: Marlin Stutzman United States Senate

Here is Behney's: Richard Behney || U.S. Senate 2010

I just don't see Pence leaving the House where he has a lot of influence, and a number of leadership positions to become a junior Senator with really nothing to do for a year or so. He went to that meeting with the NRSC out of respect for Cornyn, and in the interview I heard, he demurred pretty hard on saying if he was serious about looking at running for Bayh's seat.

Pence is now #3 in the House Repubs. He can do a lot more good from there than he can as a junior senator.

While I'd love to see Bayh go Bayh-bayh, Mr. Pence has significant senority in the house. Love to see him get Speaker if republicans win back the house. Speaker is 3rd most powerful person in Wash. Hard choice...and I think it still might be a tough battle against Bayh, That name is like Daily in Chi town!

:+4:

If it was as simple as voting out Bayh for Pence, I'd be down for it. But I don't think it would be wise to pull a senior House member out and make him a junior senator. I've met Marlin Stutzman and he is a very solid guy, supportive of our gun rights. I'm pulling for him.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I didn't know too much about Pence though.

Pence? Dirt bag. Oh how soon we forget. He voted for the Stimulus Plan. Twice. And here's a few other reasons to vote Behney....
    Project Vote Smart - Representative Mike Pence - Voting Record

06/10/2008
    Assistance for Mexico and Central America for Anti-Drug Programs (Merida Program)
    HR 6028

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (311 - 106)

10/04/2007
    Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act (MEJA) Expansion and Enforcement Act of 2007
    HR 2740

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (389 - 30)

09/26/2006
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
    HR 5092

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (277 - 131)

07/11/2006
    Internet Gambling Bill
    HR 4411

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (317 - 93)

12/14/2005
    PATRIOT Act Reauthorization
    HR 3199

Y
    Conference Report Adopted - House
    (251 - 174)

03/30/2006
    College Access and Opportunity Act of 2005
    HR 609

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (221 - 199)

10/16/2007
    Sense of the House on Classification of Information on Corruption in Iraq
    H Res 734

N
    Resolution Passed - House
    (395 - 21)

07/26/2002
    Establishing the Department of Homeland Security
    HR 5005

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (295 - 132)

03/14/2007
    Whistleblower Protection Act of 2007
    HR 985

N
    Bill Passed - House
    (331 - 94)

09/27/2008
    United States - India Nuclear Agreement
    HR 7081

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (298 - 117)

02/07/2008
    Economic Stimulus Plan
    HR 5140

Y
    Concurrence Vote Passed - House
    (380 - 34)

01/29/2008
    Economic Stimulus Plan
    HR 5140

Y
    Bill Passed - House
    (385 - 35)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Pence? Dirt bag. Oh how soon we forget. He voted for the Stimulus Plan. Twice. And here's a few other reasons to vote Behney....

Interesting. Thanks for the info there.

Quick question for ya, SE...
    You note that those are reasons to vote for Behney. Would you vote for Beyney over Stutzman? Why or why not? I would assume that if either one was on the ticket against Bayh, you'd vote for whichever challenged Bayh. That right?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Interesting. Thanks for the info there.

Quick question for ya, SE...
    You note that those are reasons to vote for Behney. Would you vote for Beyney over Stutzman? Why or why not? I would assume that if either one was on the ticket against Bayh, you'd vote for whichever challenged Bayh. That right?

Behney hands down. Why? He's one of us, I know him personally, he's running on the R ticket but has Libertarian values, supports the Constitution in all aspects, against the Patriot Act, Big Gov, Big spending, AND he's not a career politician. Like I said, he's one of us. He organized the Tea Parties here in Indy.

I've also come to the conclusion that I can no longer vote for "the lesser evil" like I did last election with McCain. My conscience will not allow it. If there's not a good person running against Bayh, I will write in a name or leave it blank. By a "good person", I mean they have to meet a certain criteria and have at least 80% of the same political stances as me.

I will not listen to their campaigns, but I WILL look at their record to find out their stances.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm for Hostettler, even though he carries a Glock. He's proven his metal more than once. I always slept soundly knowing John Hostettler was my representative.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Pence has a better chance of bringing our country back as Speaker of the House, than as a junior Senator. All spending bills originate in the House, and as Speaker of the House, he could stop an enormous amount of the BS that has been going on.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I'm behind Richard Behney for the time being. I think GOP party leadership is worried about too many independent-minded Tea-Party types getting into congress. If Pence gets into this race, and the party backs him, then Behney's chances are much slimmer. Pence has been doing good things in the house recently, and I'd like to see him stay there. However, if it comes down to Pence vs. Bayh, I'd vote for Pence.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I know that a lot of people here don't want to hear this but Pence would be better off taking on Lugar for the Republican nomination than trying to beat Bayh. If you get outside the obvious slanted view of boards like this and look at the rest of the state then I believe a victory for Pence over Bayh is highly unlikely. If I had to make a prediction then I would say at least a 10% victory for Bayh. I would rather see Pence replace Lugar to balance the playing field.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I know that a lot of people here don't want to hear this but Pence would be better off taking on Lugar for the Republican nomination than trying to beat Bayh. If you get outside the obvious slanted view of boards like this and look at the rest of the state then I believe a victory for Pence over Bayh is highly unlikely. If I had to make a prediction then I would say at least a 10% victory for Bayh. I would rather see Pence replace Lugar to balance the playing field.

This is an excellent point. Though I think Pence could beat Bayh, Lugar won't retire unless there is a suitable and strong Republican to step into his seat.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

10% What? See poll at bottom.

Election 2010: Indiana Senate
    Indiana Senate 2010: Pence (R) 47%, Bayh (D) 44%

Monday, January 25, 2010
    icon_email.gif
    Email to a Friend

Advertisement
    p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif

Indiana Senator Evan Bayh is another Democratic incumbent who could find himself in a tough reelection battle this fall. A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of likely voters in the state finds that Bayh attracts support from just 44% or 45% of voters when matched against his top potential Republican challengers.
    Congressman Mike Pence is reportedly considering running against Bayh. At this time, he attracts 47% of the vote while Bayh picks up 44%.
    A former Republican congressman, John Hostettler, has already indicated he will challenge Bayh. In that match-up, it’s Bayh with a three-point edge, 44% to 41%.
    Freshman State Senator Marlin Stutzman has announced that he is in the race. He trails the incumbent by 12 points, 45% to 33%.
    Any incumbent who attracts less than 50% support at this point in a campaign is considered potentially vulnerable. However, incumbents have many advantages in a campaign, and Bayh has already raised a large amount of cash for his campaign.
    (Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.
    As in many other states, there is a strong correlation between support for the congressional health care plan and voting behavior. Just 37% of Indiana voters favor the plan, while 60% oppose it. Those figures are similar to the national averageand include 16% who Strongly Favor the plan and 48% who are Strongly Opposed.
    Those who Strongly Favor the plan overwhelmingly prefer Bayh. Among those who are Strongly Opposed, 80% say they’d vote for Pence, 70% for Hostettler and 56% for Stutzman. In Stutzman’s case, 17% of those who Strongly Oppose the plan would vote for Bayh, and 26% are either not sure or would prefer a third option.
    In 2008, Barack Obama narrowly carried Indiana with 50% of the vote. However, just 43% of Hoosier voters currently approve of the way Obama is performing his role as president. That decline is consistent with the national trend as measured in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll. Fifty-six percent (56%) of Indiana voters now disapprove of the president’s performance. The current figures include 16% who Strongly Approve and 48% who Strongly Disapprove.
    Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels earns approval from 70% of the state’s voters while 29% disapprove. Those figures include 35% who Strongly Approve and 12% who Strongly Disapprove.
    Just four percent (4%) of Indiana voters rate the U.S. economy as good or excellent while 56% say it’s in poor shape. Twenty-seven percent (27%) say it’s getting better, and 43% say it’s getting worse.
    Seventy-two percent (72%) say it’s at least somewhat likely there will be another terrorist attack in the United States during the coming year. Nationally, fears of such an attack jumped dramatically following the Christmas Day bombing attempt. Seventy-three percent (73%) of Indiana voters want the bomber tried by the military as a terrorist while 16% want him tried in civilian courts. Seventy-four percent (74%) favor the use of full-body scanners for airport security.
    Democratic incumbents who currently trail their challengers include Harry Reid in Nevada, Michael Bennet in Colorado, Blanche Lincoln in Arkansas and Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania. Barbara Boxer from California finds herself in a more competitive race than usual.
    Republicans lead open-seat races in Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota,andOhio. Democrats lead in Connecticut, and the race is close in Illinois. A commentary by political analyst Larry Sabato,suggests that if the election were held today, “the (59-seat) Democratic majority in the Senate would be reduced to just 52 seats.”
    Rasmussen Reports also has released polls on the 2010 governor’s races in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan,Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Texas.
    In 2008, Rasmussen Reports projected nationally that Obama would defeat John McCain by a 52% to 46% margin. Obama won 53% to 46%. Four years earlier, Rasmussen Reports projected the national vote totals for both George W. Bush and John Kerry within half-a-percentage-point.

This statewide telephone survey of 800 Likely Voters in Indiana was conducted by Rasmussen Reports January 21 & 24, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 3.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence (see methodology).

Survey of 800 Likely Voters
    January 21 & 24, 2010
    John Hostettler (R)
    41%
    Evan Bayh (D)
    44%
    Some other candidate
    3%
    Not sure
    12%
    Mike Pence (R)
    47%
    Evan Bayh (D)
    44%
    Some other candidate
    3%
    Not sure
    7%
    Marlin Stutzman (R)
    33%
    Evan Bayh (D)
    45%
    Some other candidate
    5%
    Not sure
    16%

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    :+1:
    Following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Congressman Pence was appointed to the Judiciary Committee. In his time on the Judiciary Committee, Pence participated in drafting the Patriot Act and legislation creating the Department of Homeland Security. Then in 2005 Pence voted to make the Patriot Act Permanent.

Mike Pence is not someone I will be voting for. I will probably give Behney my vote.

Behney's website doesn't say how he feels about the Patriot Act except to make me think he is in favor of keeping it the way it is. Deal breaker for me.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=34024

The Stimulus Plan you reference that he voted for twice, was indeed the same bill, not two seperate bills. It was the original plan that refunded some of our own tax money. I understand your displeasure with the bill, but at least we got some of our own money back from that bill.

Having said that, he's voted against the UAW bailout, the cash for clunkers program, the TARP bill, and every other major spending bill to come up for vote.

I agree with you on the Patriot Act though. I understand it was a different time immediately following September 11th, but the Patriot Act and the DHC should be seriously questioned for their validity at this point.

I like what little I've seen of Behney thus far, and I'm anxious for the debate with all of the candidates in Warsaw on March 6th.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If Pence were the only choice over Bayh then I would vote Pence, however, he is not my first choice to run against Bayh. I agree Pence would be better against Lugar however he is 2 years off from re-election so that is a moot point at this juncture.

Top Bottom