• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Behney's website doesn't say how he feels about the Patriot Act except to make me think he is in favor of keeping it the way it is. Deal breaker for me.

I got to chat with him about it on the drive down to Bloomington tonight. Don't take this as totally official - until he writes it out as a FAQ for his blog.

But: in a nutshell... Behney believes the Patriot Act is flawed law - and not in the spirit of the Constitution. It was enacted to help protect the Citizens of our country - but gives too much power to the federal government in violation of several principles in the Constitution.

Our Constitution was written to give specific powers from the people of the individual states to the federal government. Spying on our citizens without due protection (court orders, search warrants, habeus corpus) were NOT among the powers given.

He's got a few other FAQs in the pipeline before the Patriot Act one. I'll see if I can get him to move it closer to the top of the list.

I also asked where he draws the line on the right to keep and bear arms. His answer (also not official until it hits the FAQ) is that he'd rather err on the side of Constitutional liberties - rather than play it safe.

He said that the second amendment is not there just so we can go hunting. It's there so we can protect our lives and property - AND FREEDOM!

I did get him to agree that keeping Nuclear Arms falls outside of the 2nd amendment. :D Although a purist may argue otherwise.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    10% What? See poll at bottom.

Election 2010: Indiana Senate
    Indiana Senate 2010: Pence (R) 47%, Bayh (D) 44%

Do you really put faith in random polls that are done this far ahead of an election before someone campaigns? You can get whatever poll result you want by the people you poll and their likely views. Pence is overwhelmingly popular on these boards because most people vote republican but if you go to the west side of Indy then I am guessing Pence is not doing so well. I put no faith in polls but do believe it is hard to beat someone that is a legacy in Indiana and so popular that the Republicans here never try and put a strong candidate against him just like the Dems do not go against Lugar.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Do you really put faith in random polls that are done this far ahead of an election before someone campaigns? You can get whatever poll result you want by the people you poll and their likely views. Pence is overwhelmingly popular on these boards because most people vote republican but if you go to the west side of Indy then I am guessing Pence is not doing so well. I put no faith in polls but do believe it is hard to beat someone that is a legacy in Indiana and so popular that the Republicans here never try and put a strong candidate against him just like the Dems do not go against Lugar.

What are you talking about? Right in the article:

This statewide telephone survey of 800 Likely Voters in Indiana was conducted by Rasmussen Reports January 21 & 24, 2010. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 3.5 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence (see methodology).

Are you saying NO representative poll can EVER be taken? That's absolute nonsense. It shows Birch Jr ain't so popular.

...so popular that the Republicans here never try and put a strong candidate against him...

Sounds self-fulfilling.

But, the Pence discussion is moot:

Open Letter to Friends and Supporters
    Today at 11:11am
    As many of you are aware, I have been approached about running for the United States Senate in 2010. Karen and I have been humbled by the outpouring of support and encouragement which we received from across Indiana, especially since there are several capable and qualified candidates already seeking the Republican nomination. After much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to remain in the House and to seek reelection to the 6th Congressional District in 2010.
    I am staying for two reasons. First because I have been given the responsibility to shape the Republican comeback as a member of the House Republican Leadership and, second, because I believe Republicans will win back the majority in the House of Representatives in 2010.
    One year ago I was unanimously elected chairman of the House Republican Conference, the third ranking position in House Republican leadership. I accepted that responsibility because I believed that if Republicans returned to their conservative roots, they could win back the confidence of the American people. And I see it happening every day.
    As a Republican leader, I have the opportunity to shape the policy and strategy that will return a Republican majority to the Congress in 2010. So my duty is here, in the House, serving my constituents and my colleagues as we fight to restore a conservative majority to the Congress of the United States. I am not going to leave my post when the fate of the House hangs in the balance. My place is here, in that fight, with the brave men and women who will be winning that victory for the American people.
    I also am staying because I believe we will win back the majority in the House of Representatives in 2010, and I am excited to be a part of it. While the opportunity to serve in the United States Senate is significant, I believe the best chance this nation has to restore fiscal discipline, common sense and common values to Washington, D.C., is for conservatives to retake the House in 2010. When we win back the House, we will make history and we will have the power to stop the big government plans of this administration and to steer our nation to a more secure, free and prosperous future.
    Last fall, Karen and I completed our first full marathon. We finished the 26.2 miles in just under seven hours despite the rigors on this 50 year-old body and despite many opportunities to step off the track and call it a day. Our inspiration for the day came from a verse in the Bible that reads, “let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
    I believe the race marked out for me in 2010 is in the House of Representatives. I believe that if we run that race with conviction and endurance, we can win back the Congress for the common sense and the common values of the American people, turn this tide of big government back and set the stage for a boundless American future.
    Thanks to you all who prayed our little family through this difficult decision. I hope that God will someday permit me to perform some wider service to the people of Indiana and the country, but for now my focus must remain on finishing the job I was elected to do by my constituents and my Republican colleagues; representing conservative values in Congress and winning back the House of Representatives.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    What are you talking about? Right in the article:

Are you saying NO representative poll can EVER be taken? That's absolute nonsense. It shows Birch Jr ain't so popular.

Sounds self-fulfilling.

But, the Pence discussion is moot:

The poll is one that represents current peoples views BEFORE any campaigning has occurred and that is where I believe Bayh would run away with the race. I don't see how any stock can be put in a poll that is done so far ahead of any possible race that now isn't going to happen.

Now, you say it is self-fufilling that the Republicans will not try and put a viable candidate against Birch Bayh III then show me one case where they have in the past. In his second term race for governor he won by the largest margin in the history of Indiana. At the end of his time of Governor he had nearly 80% approval rating which is pretty good last time I checked. NOW, who did the Republicans put against him in his Senate elections? His first term was Paul Helmke and Bayh had 64% of the vote which is largest percentage ever by a Democrat in Indiana. What did Helmke ever do besides being mayor of Fort Wayne? In 2004 the Republicans put Marvin Scott against Bayh and Scott only recieved 37% of the vote and didn't get any support from Mitch Daniels who was the Republican governor of Indiana. Why is that? What has Marvin Scott ever won before or after facing Evan bayh for senate? You can hate on Evan Bayh all you want and I do disagree with some of his recent voting trends but the point that the Republicans do not put anybody against him is a FACT!! You can call it self-fulfilling all you want but the truth hurts apparently.:rockwoot:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The poll is one that represents current peoples views BEFORE any campaigning has occurred and that is where I believe Bayh would run away with the race. I don't see how any stock can be put in a poll that is done so far ahead of any possible race that now isn't going to happen.

Now, you say it is self-fufilling that the Republicans will not try and put a viable candidate against Birch Bayh III then show me one case where they have in the past. In his second term race for governor he won by the largest margin in the history of Indiana. At the end of his time of Governor he had nearly 80% approval rating which is pretty good last time I checked. NOW, who did the Republicans put against him in his Senate elections? His first term was Paul Helmke and Bayh had 64% of the vote which is largest percentage ever by a Democrat in Indiana. What did Helmke ever do besides being mayor of Fort Wayne? In 2004 the Republicans put Marvin Scott against Bayh and Scott only recieved 37% of the vote and didn't get any support from Mitch Daniels who was the Republican governor of Indiana. Why is that? What has Marvin Scott ever won before or after facing Evan bayh for senate? You can hate on Evan Bayh all you want and I do disagree with some of his recent voting trends but the point that the Republicans do not put anybody against him is a FACT!! You can call it self-fulfilling all you want but the truth hurts apparently.:rockwoot:

No, it's self-fulfilling that if you do not put a strong candidate against him, he will appear to be popular and win elections. I thought that was obvious, but I overestimated. And there will still be a race, just not Pence. As noted, for an incumbent to be below 50% "BEFORE any campaigning has occurred" shows weakness and vulnerability. Birch Jr. is in danger, just like Daddy was, and "the truth must hurt." It's unusual for an incumbent to start in a negative position, especially one so supposedly popular as you claim.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    No, it's self-fulfilling that if you do not put a strong candidate against him, he will appear to be popular and win elections. I thought that was obvious, but I overestimated.

Self-fulfilling is making up excuses that make you feel better for getting beat by someone you do not approve of. He is extremely popular and continously proves it everytime but it seems that opponents of him can't seem to grasp that fact until they get beat time after time. The only thing that has been overestimated is the ability of the Republican party to put a candidate worth his weight against him instead of supporters making excuses and putting the man down. Its a simple solution really.....just beat him and then there will be no need to complain about him but I don't see that anytime soon so I will enjoy the complaining.:popcorn:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Self-fulfilling is making up excuses that make you feel better for getting beat by someone you do not approve of. He is extremely popular and continously proves it everytime but it seems that opponents of him can't seem to grasp that fact until they get beat time after time. The only thing that has been overestimated is the ability of the Republican party to put a candidate worth his weight against him instead of supporters making excuses and putting the man down. Its a simple solution really.....just beat him and then there will be no need to complain about him but I don't see that anytime soon so I will enjoy the complaining.:popcorn:
    Susan, it that you? Shouldn't you be at a board meeting or shaking somebody down for check?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    First off the current Senator Bayh is Birch Bayh III and his dad would be Birch Bayh Jr. so you might want to get that before you try teaching people a lesson:) Now, Birch Bayh II was defeated by Dan Quayle who actually won two house races before taking on Bayh. Quayle came with political backing and attacked the liberal voting of Bayh and beat him. Also, Bayh was knocked down before the Senate race by losing the Democrat party bid for the presidential election to Jimmy Carter. What has the current Senator Bayh lost? You can continue to spin this all you want but the fact is the Republicans are scared to put anyone against him that has any real political power. Why is that?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    First off the current Senator Bayh is Birch Bayh III and his dad would be Birch Bayh Jr. so you might want to get that before you try teaching people a lesson:) Now, Birch Bayh II was defeated by Dan Quayle who actually won two house races before taking on Bayh. Quayle came with political backing and attacked the liberal voting of Bayh and beat him. Also, Bayh was knocked down before the Senate race by losing the Democrat party bid for the presidential election to Jimmy Carter. What has the current Senator Bayh lost? You can continue to spin this all you want but the fact is the Republicans are scared to put anyone against him that has any real political power. Why is that?

I love it! If the Republicans put up a known entity, then it's because they're afraid of letting any new people in, if not, then it's because they're afraid of Birch Trey (is that better?). The fact of the matter is that Trey, the hereditary politician, has a history of corruption with Susie's board memberships that are just now getting widespread attention. Combined with a year when Republicans can win Senate races in Massachusetts, I wouldn't be sticking my head out for him if I were you.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I love it! If the Republicans put up a known entity, then it's because they're afraid of letting any new people in, if not, then it's because they're afraid of Birch Trey (is that better?). The fact of the matter is that Trey, the hereditary politician, has a history of corruption with Susie's board memberships that are just now getting widespread attention. Combined with a year when Republicans can win Senate races in Massachusetts, I wouldn't be sticking my head out for him if I were you.

I am not saying that there are not questionable things in the Bayh camp but until an opponent of any magnitude comes forward then I don't think he is going anywhere. IMO there are two Republicans in Indiana that can give him any kind of race and they both have already said no. Those two would be Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence but I believe they both would lose to him in the senate race. Also, I don't put much stock in a Republican winning Massachusetts because the seat was held by the same man since 1962. It is not like the Republican ran against an incumbent or a highly popular Democrat that has served in congress before. Also, the Republican Scott Brown is a moderate at best and nowhere near a conservative that most here say they want in office. I do think Harry Reid possibly getting beat and Barbara Boxer from California having a challenge are a big deal as they are incumbents rather than first timers.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I am not saying that there are not questionable things in the Bayh camp but until an opponent of any magnitude comes forward then I don't think he is going anywhere. IMO there are two Republicans in Indiana that can give him any kind of race and they both have already said no. Those two would be Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence but I believe they both would lose to him in the senate race. Also, I don't put much stock in a Republican winning Massachusetts because the seat was held by the same man since 1962. It is not like the Republican ran against an incumbent or a highly popular Democrat that has served in congress before. Also, the Republican Scott Brown is a moderate at best and nowhere near a conservative that most here say they want in office. I do think Harry Reid possibly getting beat and Barbara Boxer from California having a challenge are a big deal as they are incumbents rather than first timers.

A Republican of any stripe getting elected to that seat is similar to a snowball's chance in hell. Brown's not an Indiana conservative, but he's a Massachusetts archconservative. I hope Bayh listens to you and keeps believing he can't be beat, it'll make it that much easier. Birch Trey, the tides of fortune are turning for you, welcome to 1994, Part II.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I will not vote in this poll. Both of these guys has sided with the Democrats and Obama. I will not vote for either. And by the way I went to school with Mike. Still does not mean I believe what he has been doing.

Top Bottom