• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OP, I think you handled it perfectly. After reading through the replies, I think calling 911 at the time it happened might have been the only thing better you could have done.

Tagging for any updates.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I learned, on INGO, that you must cater to any officer's demands. If you don't, you're an argumentative idiot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the OP should have called 911 at the time this happened. Even if the guy really is a cop in Michigan, what he did was wrong and way out of line at best. At worst, he could have been a serious threat. I doubt if anyone in Michigan gives a damn what this jackwagon did here in Indiana. I think the county sheriff and/or the ISP very much might care and they're the only ones who would do anything about it.

If law enforcement in Indiana have not yet been informed of this, they should be.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    As written by others, cool head will prevail. Calls to 911, or descriptive with person and/ or vehicle, all in right direction.

Ater a mini vacation in Michigan, we stopped for a gas refill in Indiana, I retrieved my trunk secured, unloaded CCW, loaded up, and slid in waistband holster. Glad to be back in my legal carried state. LTCH trumps all.

Yes, when were were in the hotel, I had control over my firearm, and yes, if asked there, would inform as to their laws. Kept secured, unloaded, when enroute till arrival.

Didn't want a court session on the side of the highway, or worse, due to someone's ignorance. I am a former LEO from Indiana, and obey the laws of Rome when there.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    As written by others, cool head will prevail. Calls to 911, or descriptive with person and/ or vehicle, all in right direction. Ater a mini vacation in Michigan, we stopped for a gas refill in Indiana, I retrieved my trunk secured, unloaded CCW, loaded up, and slid in waistband holster. Glad to be back in my legal carried state. LTCH trumps all.
    Yes, when were were in the hotel, I had control over my firearm, and yes, if asked there, would inform as to their laws. Kept secured, unloaded, when enroute till arrival.
    Didn't want a court session on the side of the highway, or worse, due to someone's ignorance. I am a former LEO from Indiana, and obey the laws of Rome when there.

Out of curiosity: since you have an LTCH, why didn't you carry while in MI? Michigan recognizes Indiana's LTCH. Was it merely to avoid "must inform" issues?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    As written by others, cool head will prevail. Calls to 911, or descriptive with person and/ or vehicle, all in right direction.

Ater a mini vacation in Michigan, we stopped for a gas refill in Indiana, I retrieved my trunk secured, unloaded CCW, loaded up, and slid in waistband holster. Glad to be back in my legal carried state. LTCH trumps all.

Michigan, recognized In., LTCH, B4 Mi., ever had a carry permit .....

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE

So you disarmed to avoid what? Having to tell a LEO that you had a legal weapon, on the slim chance you may get pulled over..

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Nothing has changed. However, when you are in another state that allows Indiana licensees, you must follow their laws, not Indiana's. For example, you must inform the officer during a stop that you have a firearm.

Michigan firearms law: http://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

I've got that. But the gentlemen talked about going unarmed because of MI law. And he's an ex-LEO......

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yeah, I'd definitely want this bozo's name.
    I'd then hand that off to the local PD, making sure to make it clear that they had an interloper trying to throw his weight around where he was totally out of his jurisdiction.
    I would think that the one thing that will get cops aggravated the fastest with another cop would be muscling in on their district and harassing citizens while there.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Sorry for the late reply, but no update on this as of yet.

Don't have his name, only his plate.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow and call back and see what they say. If it comes down to him not being an officer and was impersonating, I will file a report with locals.

The problem I'm worrying about is the fact that, at the time, I was in my fathers vehicle, and if the jackass did somehow get my plate, even though he left first, I don't want this coming back on dad. He travels to michigan a lot more than I do.

As it sits, if it was an off duty officer, I'm happy to have just pissed him off and called in his misconduct. I won't take it further than that for the reason posted above.

If I had been in my vehicle, I would have called and filed an official complaint with them and locals, but again. I don't want dad getting harassed.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    :nuts:

The only other thing I can think of is he was drinking, like at Dark Horse. MI is zero tolerance on alcohol and guns.

Actually you can be .02 and carrying is implied consent to the breathalyzer. Failure ot comply and it is treated like a DUI failure ot comply and a six month suspension. Not sure what IN would do to you afte rthat.

PRasko, Nice work keeping your cool and verbal sparring. Guy was out of line regardless of who his employer is. Hopefully the plate toit he IN locals will be of use.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do it.

He was trying the intimidation tactic on you. They get real pissy when it doesn't work. I've seen a few cops do the temper tantrum meltdown dance. Always makes me sad that they'll go home and beat their dog or wife because of it.

FTR (For The Record) - My best friend was a great cop but not all of them are good people.
    Some people Suck!

It's not just cops...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Actually you can be .02 and carrying is implied consent to the breathalyzer. Failure ot comply and it is treated like a DUI failure ot comply and a six month suspension. Not sure what IN would do to you afte rthat.

PRasko, Nice work keeping your cool and verbal sparring. Guy was out of line regardless of who his employer is. Hopefully the plate toit he IN locals will be of use.

'splain please....

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

I don't remember seeing anything in the Indiana Code stating that carrying is implied concent for a breathalyzer, and I don't remember seeing anything that says you can't drink while carrying. Can you point out the section that I must have missed?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't remember seeing anything in the Indiana Code stating that carrying is implied concent for a breathalyzer, and I don't remember seeing anything that says you can't drink while carrying. Can you point out the section that I must have missed?

He was talking about Michigan. I don't know whether it's true or not, just that he wasn't talking about Indiana.

Top Bottom