• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    ........and then tell us all about it immediately. Because we're here waiting.

I'm not eating or sleeping until I find out. (Well maybe just a snack and a short nap.) BUT THAT'S IT!

Sorry sorry :):

I called and talked to a very...not so concerned female officer with the MSP. She took the plate number and said she would pass it along to the proper people. She wanted my info, but I told her I was uncomfortable giving that information to her as I travel to michigan often. She feigned ignorance as to why I didn't want her, or any MSP officer for that matter, having my information..:rolleyes: They obviously have my phone number, but from the tone of the conversation, I doubt I'll hear back.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I bet this will be the last you hear from MSP. Gotta wonder what his problem was even confronting you about a suspected possession of a fire arm, especially if you weren't doing anything suspicious.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Sorry sorry :):

I called and talked to a very...not so concerned female officer with the MSP. She took the plate number and said she would pass it along to the proper people. She wanted my info, but I told her I was uncomfortable giving that information to her as I travel to michigan often. She feigned ignorance as to why I didn't want her, or any MSP officer for that matter, having my information..:rolleyes: They obviously have my phone number, but from the tone of the conversation, I doubt I'll hear back.

i hope you contacted the local authorities too, they might be a little more interested than the MSP.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He then proceeded to step out of line, and stand by my side, and he then very quickly flashed his badge in his wallet. It was fast enough that all I saw was the state of michigan seal on it.

This alone says to me you should report it. Quick flashing of a badge is an indicator of an impersonator. Or he's a poorly trained jackwagon, if things went down as indicated. If for some reason I felt the need to confront a potentially armed suspect in a public place, I'd have my badge out and visible not only so you couldn't claim you didn't know I was a cop but so that everybody else present also knows I'm a cop. If things go south I don't want Johnny Passerby thinking I'm trying to rob you. I want him to know I'm an LEO. Badge flashing doesn't do that.

By the way, this is why in the thread when I was asked if I wear my badge around my neck I said not routinely but not never. There have been times when I've just happened to be nearby when an in progress run comes out. Robbery of a pharmacy, burglary of a residence, that sort of thing. I take my badge off my belt and put it around my neck for those sorts of things for the reasons outlined above, and to increase the odds other responding cops who don't know me by sight (which is more and more of them) know which team I'm playing for if I've got a gun in my hand when they arrive.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would report it to the county sheriff. He will likely be more interested. Hopefully it was Elkhart county.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I have a few friends on the dept that is the nearest to the area and will talk to them about it. We'll go from there to see what happens.

My main problem is, I have to drive through michigan to get to my house in Indiana, or take the long route, which adds 5 minutes of driving.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i hope you contacted the local authorities too, they might be a little more interested than the MSP.

I would report it to the county sheriff. He will likely be more interested. Hopefully it was Elkhart county.

THIS. Report him to YOUR local authorities, possibly even straight to ISP if you think that might get easier/better cross border communication. (maybe not necessary since you are so close to the border) They are less likely to sweep it under the rug like the home team might... *ring* "Hey, Jack. Its Shirley in dispatch. Were you in Indiana the other day? Some jackwagon just called and accused you of misconduct. Hahahaha! Funny, I know, right? Have a good day!" *click*

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    So this officer is out of uniform and then gets mad at you for not going up to him and explaining that you are carrying a handgun in your pocket? Even if you were in his jurisdiction, how would you know that he was an officer? Also, just because there is an officer in the same room, that doesn't mean you have to approach him and inform. There has to be an actual interaction.

Just Monday morning quarterbacking, but I would not put out my wrists voluntarily to be cuffed. He would then have total control. Peacefully waiting for his Indiana "backup" would be safer.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So this officer is out of uniform and then gets mad at you for not going up to him and explaining that you are carrying a handgun in your pocket? Even if you were in his jurisdiction, how would you know that he was an officer? Also, just because there is an officer in the same room, that doesn't mean you have to approach him and inform. There has to be an actual interaction.

Just Monday morning quarterbacking, but I would not put out my wrists voluntarily to be cuffed. He would then have total control. Peacefully waiting for his Indiana "backup" would be safer.

He initiated the entire conversation by asking me if I was carrying a firearm. He was standing behind me in line and must have noticed it printing or something.

And honestly, had he cuffed me, I wouldn't have posted this. I would have talked to one of the several attorneys in my family to file litigation against him.

As it sits now, I'm more then happy to have just pissed him off and put him in his place because he was an ******* about the entire thing.

The ONLY reason I called the MSP was to verify he was in fact an officer and not someone impersonating. I don't really care if they call me back, which I doubt they will, but I at least have confidence in that they will check to make sure the idiot was in fact a cop.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The ONLY reason I called the MSP was to verify he was in fact an officer and not someone impersonating. I don't really care if they call me back, which I doubt they will, but I at least have confidence in that they will check to make sure the idiot was in fact a cop.

They don't have jurisdiction. If he's impersonating in Indiana, there's nothing they can do.

I'm not sure how things work in Michigan, but I doubt there is any central repository of all law enforcement officers in the state. If he's not one of theirs, I doubt they call around to every PD, sheriff's office, etc. in the state and ask if he works there. Besides, if he's not a trooper and he's not in their jurisdiction, he isn't there problem and that's probably where it will end.

If you haven't, contact the locals. It's their jurisdiction and they are more likely to investigate it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

If he's impersonating, no question on this, however, if he's an actual cop, would the cuffs not be a strong point in his favor when he does sue for false arrest, criminal confinement, kidnapping, or whatever other charge his attorney thinks he can throw at the wall and make stick?

With that question asked, I have to say that this clown sounds he idolizes Harless, the former Ohio cop who threatened to empty his sidearm into a lawful carrier for the simple act of carrying and trying to obey the law.

And I'll echo everyone else's thoughts: ISP and local LE should be your next calls. I do think I would have waited in the store to prevent "officer" a**bag" from being able to identify my vehicle as I left. Monday morning quarterbacking, though.

All in all, it sounds like it went as well as it could have.

Blessings,
    Bill

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: How about you contact someone you DO know and see if you can't track down the license plate?

Or see how much it'd be to have a P.I. run that information for you?

Or file a FOIA request with the MI BMV and see if they'll tell you the registrant's name? Then you can look him up online and see what all you can find...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OP: How about you contact someone you DO know and see if you can't track down the license plate?

Or see how much it'd be to have a P.I. run that information for you?

Or file a FOIA request with the MI BMV and see if they'll tell you the registrant's name? Then you can look him up online and see what all you can find...

not sure a FOIA applies, but many DMVs have a "gimme $$ and you can have the information. ". I recall seeing the option here in IN to pay to get someone's info based on a plate.

Top Bottom