• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If you win, you'll get about 36+%[if you take the lump sum payment] of the final jackpot, still enough to make someones life a bit more palatable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of life's 5 basic rule, Money will not buy you happiness but it is easier and more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Edit...but what do I know, just a tool.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Your odds of matching the winning numbers do not change with the amount of the jackpot or with the number of players. If you were the only one who played, or if everyone on Earth played, your odds of matching the numbers is exactly the same. I believe it is about 1 in 176 million. The lottery is for the weak-minded. Don't tattoo your forehead by participating.

I understand that. I agree lottery is stupid tax and should either be outlawed or allowed to be done by private corporations too.

I'm saying from a gambling standpoint it only makes sense to take a shot when the payoff is higher than the odds, no matter the gambling scenario

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I don't play the lottery, it's the same as burning money no matter how high the jackpot is. You are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to get the ticket then you are to hit the jackpot. 1 in 176 million odds no thanks my brain calculator still works. :twocents:

Fact is lotto is a tax on the poor. More tickets are sold in poor zip codes than wealthy zip codes. To become wealthy I don't do poor things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't play the lottery, it's the same as burning money no matter how high the jackpot is. You are more likely to die in a car accident on the way to get the ticket then you are to hit the jackpot. 1 in 176 million odds no thanks my brain calculator still works. :twocents:

Fact is lotto is a tax on the poor. More tickets are sold in poor zip codes than wealthy zip codes. To become wealthy I don't do poor things.

Well, most of the tickets I buy are in the small towns like north salem or roachdale as i am on the road a lot. Never buy them in Carmel or other hi-overhead areas. Like I said, down here in the trailer park we-ens likes the lotto..........
    Us poo folk plays it so's we can have a shot at the big dream.

Your logic is a bit addled but that is OK. It is an elective not a subjective thing. If someone buys a ticket, they do it by choice, not force. $5.00 bucks for a shot at the big prize....who knows. How is that a Tax.

No slam intended. Folks do as they will with their money. If you do not like to play it, don't. We are just blowing off some steam. Needs to be done these days.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If I lived in vegas, I would make money at blackjack. Until then, the lotto is ok with me. Yes, it's a tax. But you can't ever get anything in life without a little sacrifice. $5 could do a lot for my entire family. I would hope I win, but I still think working 40 a week is in my future. Heck, even if I won 1k it would be awesome.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Your logic is a bit addled but that is OK. It is an elective not a subjective thing. If someone buys a ticket, they do it by choice, not force. $5.00 bucks for a shot at the big prize....who knows. How is that a Tax.
    It's a tax in that our government profits big time off it's sells. They know who buys lotto tickets and so do I, I used to work in a gas station when I was in high school. I knew some of our biggest players and they were usually the people who could afford it the least. I also know the odds. Most tickets are losers and of the thousands upon thousands of tickets we sold the biggest pay out I ever seen anyone win was $600. In fact anything over $30 was pretty rare. House always wins, only about 60% of money that goes into the lotto gets paid back out in winnings. The rest is profit, and people complain about big oil.:D

No slam intended. Folks do as they will with their money. If you do not like to play it, don't. We are just blowing off some steam. Needs to be done these days.

True it's their money not mine, I'm not mad at anyone for wasting their money. Do with it what you wish, but you will get a higher rate of return by putting that money in a real investment.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    It's only a tax on those who are bad at math.

That said, fellow tool here; I bought one. I'll buy one again too. What I want to know is who buys Powerball tickets anymore? Twice the buy-in and 1/9 the jackpot?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    NOT ME, too many PROBLEMS, with that much money ... IMHO... I just keep on playing Hoosier, and maybe my chances are "better" with everyone else playing MEGA .....:twocents:...:laugh:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Your odds of matching the winning numbers do not change with the amount of the jackpot or with the number of players. If you were the only one who played, or if everyone on Earth played, your odds of matching the numbers is exactly the same. I believe it is about 1 in 176 million. The lottery is for the weak-minded. Don't tattoo your forehead by participating.
    really? weak-minded? are you not entertained by the "what the heck ill buy a ticket, holy cow i won a hundred bucks!"you make everyone seem like a raging addict to gambling. get your facts straight before you go on a rant like that again. oh wait... do i sense... a hyperlink? www.lotterypost.com/news/186035 oh wait.. and more? www.[B]wesh.com[/B]/news/25443139/detail.html wow.. it seems that you dont play the lottery because you NEED to win money. dont be a tool yourself. have a nice day.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bought tickets. It's cool though cuz my wife had a dream that I won the big jackpot. So I guess that makes you guys the suckers. :D

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I stopped and got 10 bucks worth and I am in a group buy at work for 2 bucks each with around 100 people. I always hear you have better chances of being struck by lightening but i figure someone has to win.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The lottery, in all its forms, is one of the most shameful scams perpetuated upon the uneducated by our government in my lifetime. Sadly, it is targeted at those who can least afford to be scammed. Try really hard to understand that you are literally taking money out of your wallet and ripping it up and throwing it into the wind. Don't be a tool.

Yeah, its okay, I do that already. I mean, I shoot, I drink, I drive, I eat out. I do a lot of things that are unnecessary. $5 doesnt warrant name calling. Most people also realize that you arent really likely to win big, but a lot of people win small amounts. Everything in moderation.

Just wondering if I win, is full auto rifles legal in Indiana? Maybe I should move to texas if I win, apparently full auto is allowed there.

Go see the Class III/NFA section of this forum. Yes, full auto is legal in Indiana, and it is under the same stipulations that it is in the rest of the country (pre 1986 guns only, must register and pay $200 tax)

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    The lottery, in all its forms, is one of the most shameful scams perpetuated upon the uneducated by our government in my lifetime. Sadly, it is targeted at those who can least afford to be scammed. Try really hard to understand that you are literally taking money out of your wallet and ripping it up and throwing it into the wind. Don't be a tool.

So.....is the eventual winner of the jackpot , also taking money out of his wallet ,ripping it up and throwing it into the wind ? :dunno:Just curious.

A chance , albeit it a very slim one,at $500 million for the price of a hamburger. Think I'll skip lunch tomorrow and go buy a couple tickets. And when I do,

I think I'll OC. :D

Top Bottom