South of you

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are not the folks who jump at the chance to believe absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence, whether in the matter of advance planning or election fraud or number of Ds in the chess game etc, also taking a side rather than making a model - unless, of course, you believe the parameters of a valid model always point one way and never need to be adjusted to reflect the disparity between 'reality' and 'your reality'

Isn't it possible that there is just a bit of disconnect between the belief Trump is a narcissistic idiot obsessed with his own ego and the fact that he beat all comers, ascended to the highest office in the land and then did one of the best jobs of any president in recent memory while there against massive resistance?

If someone believes the absence of evidence is evidence of absence, on it's face I mean without getting into the weeds, then they're probably running a side, not a model. But, not believing something, is not the same thing as believing it's false. Saying something is false without evidence is the same thing as saying something is true without evidence. Take the question of god. Saying I don't believe is not the same thing as saying god doesn't exist. I'm saying I don't know what I don't have evidence for.

If we're running a model, the parameters fed through it results in whatever is the result, no matter how much we welcome the result or not. Maybe we find inconsistencies in the feedback. And then adjustments need to be made. But if we have a side, we don't accept unwelcome results. We just believe whatever serves the side. No adjustments to the model are ever necessary. Just go on believing obliviously.

I think if the parameters never impact the outcome, that's a good sign you're running a side rather than a model. I think sometimes Trump does well, sometimes he steps on his dick. But you guys don't seem to think that anything he ever does is stepping on his dick. The side always has an answer for why reality isn't what it is. The parameters never impact the outcome.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As already divined upthread, Trump gets some credit from the center out of his endorsement:
    https://www.nationalreview.com/news...ont-think-anybody-should-doubt-his-influence/

McCarthy on Trump:

I agree with McCarthy's statement that Republicans need to come together. I don't have any faith that CoCR's can become AF advocates. But I do have faith that people in the so-called Fredom Caucus can become CoCR's. That seems to be a unidirectional path. So I worry that coming together isn't gonna help us if "together" means uniting under the establishment CoC/neocon Republican way of thinking.

I think corruption has something to do with why it's always one way. If you're corrupt you want the system to protect you. If you're not yet corrupt you want the system to impede corruption. I think it's just easier for people to give up and accept the system that protects corruption. Especially when corrupted people have an existential motive to protect the system that keeps them fed.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I think corruption has something to do with why it's always one way. If you're corrupt you want the system to protect you. If you're not yet corrupt you want the system to impede corruption. I think it's just easier for people to give up and accept the system that protects corruption. Especially when corrupted people have an existential motive to protect the system that keeps them fed.
    "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
    Frank Herbert

TheTrooper

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Realityville, IN
    "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
    Frank Herbert

I think it very likely we have gone from a system that was "attracting" psychopaths, to one that is exclusively filtering for them.

One Nation Under Blackmail - Whitney Webb with James Corbett

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Yep; sure was...
    Boebert isn't my cup of tea, but I've gotta give it to her on hanging tough for the changes that were needed, then diplomatically voting present.

And, as an aside...

McCarthy isn't my cup of tea either, but I think he's learned the lesson that he has 20 members who will go to the mats! And he cannot cut deals that lean majority Dem, because he will lose the gavel.

I think he now knows the lane he must travel, we'll see if his ego was properly whittled.

All in all, a pretty good outcome... perhaps not the best, but lightyears better than the Pelosi tyranny.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I agree with McCarthy's statement that Republicans need to come together. I don't have any faith that CoCR's can become AF advocates. But I do have faith that people in the so-called Fredom Caucus can become CoCR's. That seems to be a unidirectional path. So I worry that coming together isn't gonna help us if "together" means uniting under the establishment CoC/neocon Republican way of thinking.

When any congress critter uses the term “coming together” itis always implied that those out of step need to migrate left.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Boebert isn't my cup of tea, but I've gotta give it to her on hanging tough for the changes that were needed, then diplomatically voting present.

And, as an aside...

McCarthy isn't my cup of tea either, but I think he's learned the lesson that he has 20 members who will go to the mats! And he cannot cut deals that lean majority Dem, because he will lose the gavel.

I think he now knows the lane he must travel, we'll see if his ego was properly whittled.

All in all, a pretty good outcome... perhaps not the best, but lightyears better than the Pelosi tyranny.
    I generally live my life according to the principle that I do not waste energy worrying about things I cannot control or influence. Outside of voting in every election, I have applied that principle to a greater and greater extent over the past 10 - 20 years to anything that happens at the federal government level. The Uniparty inside the beltway is going to do whatever they're going to do, and then attempt to gaslight about it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I generally live my life according to the principle that I do not waste energy worrying about things I cannot control or influence. Outside of voting in every election, I have applied that principle to a greater and greater extent over the past 10 - 20 years to anything that happens at the federal government level. The Uniparty inside the beltway is going to do whatever they're going to do, and then attempt to gaslight about it.
    I think this is a good policy as it is typically business as usual regardless of who has the reins. And this would have been much the case had this Republican congress handed McCarthy the gavel with all of the tyrannical powers Pelosi possessed.

However, it is worth noting, and while being somewhat hopeful but not naive, that 20 stood up and said "NO", at least this time. Because although there is little we can do to control or influence what happens in Washington... what happens there does impact us.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think this is a good policy as it is typically business as usual regardless of who has the reins. And this would have been much the case had this Republican congress handed McCarthy the gavel with all of the tyrannical powers Pelosi possessed.

However, it is worth noting, and while being somewhat hopeful but not naive, that 20 stood up and said "NO", at least this time. Because although there is little we can do to control or influence what happens in Washington... what happens there does impact us.
    Let's be honest: there is zero risk in the 20 doing so, or the GOP conceding to them. Nothing that gets passed out of the House has a prayer of moving in the Senate without Unipraty approval.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's a decent description of where I'm at.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Let's be honest: there is zero risk in the 20 doing so, or the GOP conceding to them. Nothing that gets passed out of the House has a prayer of moving in the Senate without Unipraty approval.
    I disagree... 12 separate appropriations bills, debated in committee, published at least 72 hours before a vote can take place AND amendments allowed prior to passage is a huge RISK to the uniparty versus a massive omnibus appropriations that isn't even published, let alone read, prior to a vote.

That's defense.

Offense is presenting bills that represent what WE would want to pass, forcing the Democrats in the House to go on record with their votes. Forcing Democrats in the Senate to explain why they wouldn't allow a vote in the Senate.

This is what needs to happen over the next two years to win in 2024... prove that we have a platform for people to vote for.

Top Bottom