• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wake me up when this results in any actual accountability. I suspect that, in the end, this will result in mere pandering before return to the status quo.
    So, now the "Speaker of the House voting" circus is concluded, several congresscritters extracted their bread, and I return to my original sentiment.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What do you mean the Senate can’t do a damn thing about it? They can vote it down. The President can do something about it too, in case a couple of Rogue democrats fall out of line. He can veto it. Best thing the House can do now is play spoiler to what Democrats want to accomplish.

Here’s one thing they can do. Impeach Joe Biden. Of course there is not a snowball’s chance in hell that the Senate would ever convict. But in the words of Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden “…will always be impeached.”
    The point was directed at future funding. House can zero out appropriations for the FBI, senate could restore it in their version of the bill and it would then return to the house for an attempt at compromise. But if the house refuses to reinstate funding for the FBI then neither the senate nor Biden can insert funding into a bill without their concurrence. If they stand their ground, the best McConnell and Biden could do is take the country to a budget shutdown or append it to some bill they think the house would desperately want to pass, but the senate cannot appropriate money on its own and neither can Biden. That's why Trump had to repurpose existing appropriations to get his wall started. If they did not yield it would be a Mexican Standoff until someone blinks

Any chance to use that power has been delayed as much as possible by McConnell
    because he wants business as usual. I don't see McFailure as any different. He will try to play his dissidents and do his master's bidding at the same time. As usual, we need more dissidents, but we'll be hearing about how the people want us to be Democrat light bipartisanship

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Realistically, what binds the speaker to any promise he may have made? This is dc after all.
    The rule that allows even a single member to call for what is in essence a "vote of no confidence" in the Speaker. If such a vote is called, the Speaker must receive a majority of votes to remain Speaker. That rule was one of the concessions the "Gang of 20" forced as part of their support.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The rule that allows even a single member to call for what is in essence a "vote of no confidence" in the Speaker. If such a vote is called, the Speaker must receive a majority of votes to remain Speaker. That rule was one of the concessions the "Gang of 20" forced as part of their support.
    I think that rule was originally one and Nanny Pelosi upped it to a majority vote on the house floor. The "Gang of 20" wanted the concession from McCarthy to reinstate the original rule.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A majority has to approve rule changes. The speaker can only bring it to the floor for a vote. McCarthy can bring it to the floor to go back to one rep being able to call no confidence. It’s not at all evident that they could get a majority to go along with it. Many McCarthy supporters would not go along with it. So it would depend a lot on Democrats and what game they want to play. They might vote with the anti-McCarthy contingent just for the future spectacle. Or maybe they’ll vote uniparty to prevent the rule change. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A House Rule which had been in force nearly forever, until Pelosi.

The demand by the Republican holdouts would restore the House rule on vacating the chair to what it was before Rep. Nancy Pelosi was elected speaker in 2019. Under Pelosi, a motion to vacate could be offered on the House floor only if a majority of either party agreed to it. Before that rule change, a single member could move for a vote to unseat the speaker.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It’s already funded by the previous congress. But in the next omnibus they could try to defund it. That would throw the Senate into a tizzy. Ultimately the Republicans would cave because Democrats and the media will call them Nazis and sone defectors would cave. Or maybe it wouldn’t even pass the House in the first place. CoC’s gonna CoC.
    You forgot racist.
    DON'T spend money on those Dale Carnegie courses!
    Anyone/Anything that doesn't agree with you, should be labeled...
    * Racist
    * Threat to Democracy
    * Danger to our National Security
    * Conspiracy Theory

Just plug in the applicable term when needed... You Win!
    You forgot Nazi.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Supporters of McConnell will vote it in or 20 will vote him out. They already have the votes. The line has been drawn in the sand.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't really see what the "one member no-confidence" measure is going to accomplish. As soon as it goes to a vote, you're back to the same math that we just lost on. It would take 5 flips to actually unseat the Speaker. Which means he can give the shaft to "up to" 4 members and still retain his position.

So he flips-off Boebert, Gaetz, and 2 others, tells them to F-off...then bribes everyone else and maintains the gavel. They can register "no-confidence" votes until they're blue in the face, but they still need 5 to seal the deal.

Last edited:

trader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2023
    indiana
    this isn't the America i grew up in. fascism is here an now. laws don't seem to be laws when it's a liberal doing it. geez let a 80 yr old conservative g-ma jaywalk, there called for the nat'l guard to bust gm.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    “Chief among those responsible for forging a compromise was Trump, according to several GOP members of Congress and a source familiar with the conversations.”

”Another source familiar with the matter indicated that Trump had been engaged in the process since early December, making phone calls throughout the month to whip votes and consolidate support behind McCarthy. These calls were not mere one-offs but included ongoing correspondences with many different lawmakers.

Trump’s involvement persisted throughout this week, including in talks last night and this morning ahead of the crucial breakthrough for McCarthy, according to the source.”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Anyone that trusts hannity … just watch how he flip flops on gaetz and boebert he is just about as slimy as the rest of them
    I figure his audience must be waning and that’s why they put him on about the time the rest of the late night “comedians” are on.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I figure his audience must be waning and that’s why they put him on about the time the rest of the late night “comedians” are on.
    I mean he’s got like what 5hrs a day he just talks? I couldn’t even handle to watch his 5minute clip when he was talking about those two I can’t imagine what else he said in his past 15hrs of talking.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I mean he’s got like what 5hrs a day he just talks? I couldn’t even handle to watch his 5minute clip when he was talking about those two I can’t imagine what else he said in his past 15hrs of talking.
    If his style is the same as it’s been in the past, it’s a constant repetitive loop of the same things over and over again. I remember when he was just starting out and subbing for Rush back in the day. I couldn’t stand him then and would actually skip the days I knew he was going to be in Rush’s chair.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Trust me, you didn't miss anything of importance.
    He just beat the dead horse over and over until "Republcan Nancy Pelosi" got his needed votes.

Top Bottom